Speculation: Steen and Tarasenko

RastaBlues

Dec 19, 2014
So me and my buddy have talked about this a couple times this year and I was wondering if anyone on here felt the same way or has seen what we've been seeing.

Basically, has anyone else noticed or felt that Steen isn't too fond of Tarasenko? I could be way off here, but I've noticed a few times when they're on the ice together that Steen will have the puck and Tarasenko will get wide open and Steen always shoots or passes to someone else. It happened most recently in the Detroit game. I can't remember if we were on the powerplay or not but Steen looked right at Tarasenko who was wide open with an open net and then Steen decides to shoot the puck instead with not a very good scoring chance.

I think Steen wants to be "The" guy and I'm not downplaying his work ethic but the dude has got to understand it's a team thing and Tarasenko has the best shot on our entire team. Anyone else see this?

ledzeppelinfan1

Feb 26, 2010
I remember the play you are talking about, and yes he should have passed. But we don't know what Steen saw. Maybe there was a stick in the lane. Tarasenko has had no issues setting Steen up for scoring chances, so I doubt a mature veteran is letting his ego get in the way here. I will say one thing, though; this team has done a terrible job at setting Tarasenko up lately when he's been open in dangerous areas.

RastaBlues

Dec 19, 2014
One thing we talked about about is you don't really see Frank backchecking hard every shift, not saying he doesn't, the dude's a machine. But I think the coaching staff wants him to try and stay open and be ready for the breakout. I could see a guy like Steen being a little sour at that because he has to play both ends for a full 60 as do the rest of our players.

Like I said, could be way off and they're not out there together that often. Just a feeling.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
One thing we talked about about is you don't really see Frank backchecking hard every shift, not saying he doesn't, the dude's a machine. But I think the coaching staff wants him to try and stay open and be ready for the breakout. I could see a guy like Steen being a little sour at that because he has to play both ends for a full 60 as do the rest of our players.

Like I said, could be way off and they're not out there together that often. Just a feeling.

I hope that's not really the situation. Taraseko not covering Datsyuk with 5 to 3 seconds left in OT vs. The Wings caused that loss. THAT wasn't caused by Tarasenko being up ice waiting for a stretch pass. I really hope there's no jealousy among the ranks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've felt for a while that Steen, Backes and Oshie all seem to be a lot happier when each other scores as opposed to when Tarasenko does, but perhaps we are looking too far into it.

There's really no way of knowing other than asking JR how things in the room are. I'd hope there's no rift between the players, because otherwise they're extremely insecure babies, but then again that honestly wouldn't surprise me about this team because mental toughness isn't exactly their strong suit.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Whatever, if it makes some solid internal competition where they try to one up each other with winning, I'll take it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't see it at all from Steen, some of you read way too much into situations. Steen/Backes/Schwartz don't smile often when they score and I think the SOB/Jax don't even do the fist bumps after a goal. Does this mean they hate their teammates?

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I don't see it at all from Steen, some of you read way too much into situations. Steen/Backes/Schwartz don't smile often when they score and I think the SOB/Jax don't even do the fist bumps after a goal. Does this mean they hate their teammates?

I feel like you're forgetting which team this is.

This personal rift is going to cause us to lose in game 7 double OT to the wings in the cup when yzerman blasts a slap shot by Brodeur after a lazy turnover by an angry Steen, due to Tarasenko spitting in his general direction after scoring the tying goal with 4 seconds left in the 3rd.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I think we're reading too much into this. I'm sure Hitch wouldn't have used them on the same line if he thought there was some animosity between the two of them.

This is from his first NHL game, which was obviously a while ago, but it showed that Tarasenko was ridiculously skilled and likely would become "the guy" here. Look at Steen's face when Tarasenko scores. It stood out to me at the time. That doesn't look like a guy who's jealous of a teammate's success.

RastaBlues

Dec 19, 2014

I think we're reading too much into this. I'm sure Hitch wouldn't have used them on the same line if he thought there was some animosity between the two of them.

This is from his first NHL game, which was obviously a while ago, but it showed that Tarasenko was ridiculously skilled and likely would become "the guy" here. Look at Steen's face when Tarasenko scores. It stood out to me at the time. That doesn't look like a guy who's jealous of a teammate's success.

Yeah, Steen actually had a great feed to Frank tonight. After seeing that I think they're fine

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If Backes, Steen and Oshie don't want to be considered playoff chokers their whole careers, they better like Tarasenko and treat him well because they aren't going anywhere without him.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I get that vibe from Oshie and Backes towards Frank almost like they're not ready yet to not be "The Guy(s)" just the feeling I get.

But not from Steen at all. I'd like to say with the way Steen has been playing this last season and so far in this one, that contract extension for that cap hit is looking really really good right now.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I swear some of you guys are trying to riddle the meaning out of entrails here. I don't see how you can draw conclusions like that from the snippets of facial expressions that make it on TV during a game.

Much more likely could be that everyone in the league is keying on Tarasenko now. Lehtera got a hat trick from opponents being too focused on Vlad. I think Steen understands that. The best play isn't to pass to Frank every single time. Some of the time, the best play is to shoot while the goalie is worrying about Frank. They won't always works, and sometimes on a split-second rush you make the wrong choice.

Its like, if you can't find something to worry about...let's just start making crap up and worry about that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I swear some of you guys are trying to riddle the meaning out of entrails here. I don't see how you can draw conclusions like that from the snippets of facial expressions that make it on TV during a game.

Much more likely could be that everyone in the league is keying on Tarasenko now. Lehtera got a hat trick from opponents being too focused on Vlad. I think Steen understands that. The best play isn't to pass to Frank every single time. Some of the time, the best play is to shoot while the goalie is worrying about Frank. They won't always works, and sometimes on a split-second rush you make the wrong choice.

Its like, if you can't find something to worry about...let's just start making crap up and worry about that.

It's either this or the Blues are losing and we need to blow up the team

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Holy jumpin'.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

That's an awesome 1st game - 2 goals right 'off the bat'. But Tarasenko needs to get back to scoring madness, he's slowed down a bit in the last few games.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
I think it's looking a bit too far into it. I'm sure there is a competitiveness that they all want to be scoring goals. As far as I'm concerned though, they can hate each other as long as they go out and win.

But I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if the Old Guard gets a little nervous every time Tarasenko, Lehtera, and Schwartz take over games. Because let's be honest, if the Blues collapse again in the playoffs, none of the young kids will be moved. It's the older guys that have been the perennial underachievers and are on the chopping block.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm an outsider looking in and I see it all across the STL established players (Backes, Oshie, Steen). They are not happy with the kid stealing their spotlight. That's dumb and immature from them.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'm an outsider looking in and I see it all across the STL established players (Backes, Oshie, Steen). They are not happy with the kid stealing their spotlight. That's dumb and immature from them.

if you think that's what's happening you should probably look harder

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I don't see any evidence of that, and I don't believe that's true. They look like a unified team to me.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I think it's looking a bit too far into it. I'm sure there is a competitiveness that they all want to be scoring goals. As far as I'm concerned though, they can hate each other as long as they go out and win.

But I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if the Old Guard gets a little nervous every time Tarasenko, Lehtera, and Schwartz take over games. Because let's be honest, if the Blues collapse again in the playoffs, none of the young kids will be moved. It's the older guys that have been the perennial underachievers and are on the chopping block.

That is as it should be, another playoff collapse and the veteran core should be shaken up. I would have been OK with them shaking it up a bit after the collapse last spring v the Hawks

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I am sure there are players on this team and every other team that do not like each other, that only makes them human. 20 plus guys aren't going to be best pals all the time but winning teams shelve that **** on the ice

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Some of you are reading way too much into things.

Remember the quotes from Backes and Steen at the time when we signed Stastny? Army asked them if it's ok to give him significantly more money than those 2, and they both said that they didn't care and that Army just needs to get it done. These 2 want to win and everything that you actually see and hear is that they love Tarasenko too.

There has been no hint to a problem, like there were at certain points with guys like Kariya, McDonald, and Perron. Problems that actually exist have a habit of coming out.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
23shcmx.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad