Steam Deck

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My brother in law was hyping this up too and said I should get it. I’m not a PC gamer and have zero steam library.

So basically you can play Steam games and Gamepass games on Steam’s equivalent of a Nintendo Switch???

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
We had another thread here:

I'm very happy with my Deck but if you already have a way to play games I would sell it and reserve another.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My brother in law was hyping this up too and said I should get it. I’m not a PC gamer and have zero steam library.

So basically you can play Steam games and Gamepass games on Steam’s equivalent of a Nintendo Switch???
Personally I wouldn't use the Deck as an entry point into PC gaming, it works best if you already have an established library and a way to play games that either won't run on the deck or play best on a proper setup. You have access to most of the Steam library but if you want to use Game Pass you need to install Windows which requires giving up a ton of the great software features SteamOS has.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I have one and like Mikeaveli said, it works best as a compliment to a gaming PC. I loved the idea of a Switch but when I'm at home gaming, it's at my PC. When I get the opportunity to game on the go, I felt a bit discouraged because of how expensive the games were. I felt like I would have to plan a trip around a shorter game I knew I could beat on the trip because I wouldn't be too motivated to play it when I had my PC as an option.

With my Steam Deck though, I didn't worry about how expensive games are because I already have them. I don't care what game I start because I know I can just use my cloud saves to continue my save between systems. If I'm going on a long day trip where I'm not driving, I know I can use it for the ride to keep myself entertained.

I admittedly don't see myself using it too much. I'm not going to be using it daily like I will my PC obviously. But it's awesome to have because now when I go on a family trip and I'm always the last one to go to sleep, I have something I can continue a game on. Part of me was always toying with the idea of getting a cheaper gaming laptop just so I can do that but the Steam Deck is even cheaper than that. It might not have the same functionality without some simple modding work but it has all the functionality I'm looking for while taking a trip somewhere.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't use the Deck as an entry point into PC gaming, it works best if you already have an established library and a way to play games that either won't run on the deck or play best on a proper setup. You have access to most of the Steam library but if you want to use Game Pass you need to install Windows which requires giving up a ton of the great software features SteamOS has.
Can you get the Epic Games Store on a Steam Deck? I wouldn't really recommend Epic but if someone is trying to keep their software on a budget Epic gives away free games every week and you can build up a good library through it for $0.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I have all the current console systems but no real computer for gaming, so the Steam Deck is my entry point to PC gaming. It rocks. I haven't had to customize any profiles or anything, but I bought a few games in the Summer Sale. And then I learned about keyshops.

I've always wanted a better handheld system for gaming on the go, and this thing is a triumph. Solidly built. Intuitive menus. Giant catalog of compatible games.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I feel like the main thing you'll love is how cheap the games get.

Make sure to refer to this site before buying games too: Deals

Just make sure the keys you're purchasing are Steam keys and not EGS/Origin/Uplay keys since those won't work on the SteamDeck on default software. You'll often find games even cheaper than on Steam. The only downside that way is I'm not sure how the option of refunding games you don't like would work.

Also check out bundle sites like Humble Bundle and Fanatical's bundle pages. People often complain about the quality of Humble Bundles lately but it's because it's a lot of duplicates for people. If you're new, you'll likely get like 8 quality games for $14 or whatever it is.

Reactions: Supermassive

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Damn wasn't getting any notifs, thought this thread got no replies lol. I understand the Deck is prob niche around these parts.

Thanks for that site @Frankie Spankie. I find Steam "sales" are still usually more expensive than say CDKeys for example.

Thus far I've enjoyed the Deck a ton tbh, it supplements my PC gaming quite well since I'm a fan of platformers and some good indie titles. I'm playing games I would never really mess with on my RTX 3080 build. Celeste for example is awesome on the Deck but for god's sake you die more than a Souls game lol.

I don't see this as being a go-to for AAA titles although it's obv very cool to see it running God of War, RDR2, and sooner or later games like Uncharted 4 which I'd definitely at least try on the Deck.

I implore anyone using the Deck to submit lots of feedback to Valve on the device itself as well as individual games. They listen. For example Oblivion is "Certified" yet you have to play with the controls configurator to get it working since it doesn't have native controller support. It's definitely a big work in progress; so much potential here.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I know they're considering "playable" to be 30fps but it's so choppy for me I can't do 30. I never really planned on playing any AAA games on it, I want it as a portable indie machine where I can comfortably go 60 all the time. I can't imagine how frustrating a game like GoW or RDR2 would feel on it lol.

Reactions: Jauffre

ErikaPEI

Jul 22, 2022
I have mine reserved, the 512 GB one. I'm just putting $50-100 on my account each pay until I have to place the full order. Can't wait to get it, I've been hearing great things from the lucky few who got theirs.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
And just like that I'm replaying Shadow of Mordor lol, already 2 hours in. Never actually beat it on the OG Xbox One. Remapping the combos to single buttons is so nice.

Runs like a dream at medium-high settings @60fps, with tessellation & AO turned off. GPU never even hits 90%. Not sure how Shadow of War is gonna reach 60fps without looking potato but we'll see.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

You can build a steam library pretty quickly.

You can also emulate PS2 and back. And some PS3.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Right now, the best hockey we can play is NHL 2K10 through PS3 emulation. The EA NHL PS3 games don't run as smoothly.

You'd have to install Windows on it, you wouldn't be able to do it with SteamOS which it comes preinstalled with.
Not completely true. You can use the Heroic launcher for single player games.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
iFixit now has replacement fans on their site that should help with the high pitched whine. Even some older games like Dark Souls 2 make the fan ramp up to an annoying level for me (though at least its not EVERY GAME like at launch) and I'm hoping this will fix it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'd kill for a Steam version of NHL 23. But I think Sony and Microsoft have a sweetheart deal with EA.
Speaking of EA, they're going to release a version of Super Mega Baseball with the MLB licenses. Could be a major hit if they don't micro-transaction it to hell.

I finished F.E.A.R. on the deck yesterday. I used to play so many FPS on XBOX 360/PS3 back in the day, but gave up on most of them because the controls and graphics could be really rough. The deck handles them so well, and the option to use the gyro for aiming is ridiculously game-changing.

Emulators are so easy to use on it, too. The 16:10 aspect ratio actually makes the old 4:3 games look big and bright. Far better than emulating on your phone.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Humble Store has a great deal on the Resident Evil series. Every game available on Steam (except Village) for $30 US. Some of them don't work on the Deck yet, but still, incredible value if you like the franchise.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Humble Store has a great deal on the Resident Evil series. Every game available on Steam (except Village) for $30 US. Some of them don't work on the Deck yet, but still, incredible value if you like the franchise.
Just picked up RE 2 & 3 for like $22 but haven't tried em on the SD.

Anyone try Spiderman? It's certified apparently, wonder how well it plays.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I never really liked the 2k NHL games. Does any of the EA PS3 games run? One of them with roster updates would be pretty alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad