Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
It seems like no one mentioned it, but Epic is giving away a free game every day until the 30th or the 31st (the giveaways have been going on for a few days).

Today's game is Celeste. You should get it if you don't already have it on another platform.

Reactions: tealhockey

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So what are people buying on the Winter Sale?

Browsing through the options some candidates on my list:
DmC: Devil May Cry $7.49
Doom (2016) $5.99
Moonlighter $7.99
A Hat in Time $14.99
The Turing Test $3.99
Assassin's Creed Odyssey $23.99

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Considering my backlog, I decided to not buy anything. Still haven't, but I just maaaaay get Workers & Resourcers: Soviet Republic.

It's 30% off and I'd guess it'll go up a bit in price once it leaves Early Access.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So what are people buying on the Winter Sale?

Browsing through the options some candidates on my list:
DmC: Devil May Cry $7.49
Doom (2016) $5.99
Moonlighter $7.99
A Hat in Time $14.99
The Turing Test $3.99
Assassin's Creed Odyssey $23.99

AC Odyssey is terrific. Its probably the biggest open world game Ive played. Kassandra is an excellent protaganist. Really brings ancient Greece to life. I am continually amazed by the scenery and sights this game gives. There are some stunning visuals.

Doom was also good but of course very short in comparison. Worth that price for sure

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
AC Odyssey is terrific. Its probably the biggest open world game Ive played. Kassandra is an excellent protaganist. Really brings ancient Greece to life. I am continually amazed by the scenery and sights this game gives. There are some stunning visuals.

Doom was also good but of course very short in comparison. Worth that price for sure

I’m itching for a big open world game—put 400+ hours into Fallout 4 in multiple modded runs. Seems like AC Odyssey would be a nice option to scratch that itch.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I bought way too much.

For myself:

Trover Saves the Universe
The Surge 2
Boneworks
Pavlov VR
Compound
Disco Elysium
The Exorcist VR
Resident Evil 3
Shadow of the Tomb Raider DE
Tekken 7 Season Pass 2

For my girlfriend:

A Plagaue Tale: Innocence
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
Spirit Hunter: NG

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I’m itching for a big open world game—put 400+ hours into Fallout 4 in multiple modded runs. Seems like AC Odyssey would be a nice option to scratch that itch.

I think it would be. The world feels very alive. Of course it doesnt have the crafting or base building that Fallout has. Id never played an AC game until Odyssey, and my understanding is its not so much an AC game as its an open world game with AC lore embedded in it. I really enjoyed it and got probably 140 hours into my first playthrough, with large portions of the map being virtually untouched. I would strongly recommend playing as Kassandra. The voice actress does a terrific job and I just find her way more interesting then Alexios. He looks and sounds like the most stereotypical meathead hero archetype.

Reactions: mouser

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Red Dead Redemption 2 is perfect to scratch your itch.

Dunno, I watched a good bit of streaming of it and the general impression I got from the reviews is the game isn't nearly as open world as expected.

About an hour into AC Odyssey right now, definitely some mechanics to master.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'd recommend Xenoblade Chronicles X. You have to go through a few hurdles to play it on pc but it's worth it imo. Not a big fan of open worlds because they're typically empty and dull but they did a great job with the varied environments and you can actually go literally anywhere in the world in XCX, which is what makes exploring so much fun.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
It seems like no one mentioned it, but Epic is giving away a free game every day until the 30th or the 31st (the giveaways have been going on for a few days).

Today's game is Celeste. You should get it if you don't already have it on another platform.

The Talos Principle is free on Epic today. Supposed to be a good one.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Thinking of jumping into the two War Hammer Total War games. Don't think I'll grab all the DLC at once, which ones are worth going for first?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Talos Princinple is one of the best puzzle games ever IMO. The puzzles are challenging, the star challenge puzzles are incredibly challenging, and the story is fantastic. I remember when it came out, I didn't hear anything about it. I tried a playable demo and figured I thought it was fun and bought it because of the demo.

I ended up starting it right away, decided to read all the terminals despite the fact that I don't really read things about lore in games (although this is more of a story than lore) and was absolutely sucked in. There's a lot of philosophical questions that are brought up to you and pretty much makes you rethink everything in life. I feel like it's the only game I've ever played that I think made me a better person after playing it. It put things into perspective for me that I otherwise thought I had a strong stance on and made me realize how other people really deal with/feel about other situations.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Talos Princinple is one of the best puzzle games ever IMO. The puzzles are challenging, the star challenge puzzles are incredibly challenging, and the story is fantastic. I remember when it came out, I didn't hear anything about it. I tried a playable demo and figured I thought it was fun and bought it because of the demo.

I ended up starting it right away, decided to read all the terminals despite the fact that I don't really read things about lore in games (although this is more of a story than lore) and was absolutely sucked in. There's a lot of philosophical questions that are brought up to you and pretty much makes you rethink everything in life. I feel like it's the only game I've ever played that I think made me a better person after playing it. It put things into perspective for me that I otherwise thought I had a strong stance on and made me realize how other people really deal with/feel about other situations.

For some reason The Witness got much higher accolades and attention over The Talos Principle after being released in a similar timeframe. Having played through both games I still don't understand why most review sites put The Witness higher then Talos. I thought the story and puzzle mechanics of Talos were far and away better then The Witness' thin storyline and mostly 2d puzzles.

I especially love that Talos encourages you to find ways to break out of the current puzzle boundaries.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Dunno, I watched a good bit of streaming of it and the general impression I got from the reviews is the game isn't nearly as open world as expected.

About an hour into AC Odyssey right now, definitely some mechanics to master.

I just got AC Odyssey the other day too since it was a great deal and I'm in love, I can't stop playing it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Thinking of jumping into the two War Hammer Total War games. Don't think I'll grab all the DLC at once, which ones are worth going for first?

Are you a fan of the total war franchise? I keep picking up games that are interesting settings to me, but the way you have to manage the battles (or maybe lack thereof) is definitely unique to their franchise and I think either you love it or hate it.

Otherwise, from having both and dabbling in both... I'd say just pick up whatever gives you your preferred race to play.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've got the coupon for $6.50 CA off my next purchase, I think expires Jan 2. I don't want to spend any more money really, any suggestions for a game under $10 that came out in the last couple years?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've got the coupon for $6.50 CA off my next purchase, I think expires Jan 2. I don't want to spend any more money really, any suggestions for a game under $10 that came out in the last couple years?

Any particular types of games you're interested in? Some possible under $10USD games, didn't check Steam's CAD conversion.

Doom (2016) $6
Tomb Raider (2013) $3, even though it's 6 years old it doesn't feel that aged.
Rise of the Tomb Raider $9
Stardew Valley $9
Hollow Knight $7.50
Planet Coaster $9
Into the Breach $7.50
Invisible Inc $5
Darkest Dungeon $7.50
Supraland $10

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Any particular types of games you're interested in? Some possible under $10USD games, didn't check Steam's CAD conversion.

Doom (2016) $6
Tomb Raider (2013) $3, even though it's 6 years old it doesn't feel that aged.
Rise of the Tomb Raider $9

Stardew Valley $9
Hollow Knight $7.50
Planet Coaster $9
Into the Breach $7.50
Invisible Inc $5
Darkest Dungeon $7.50
Supraland $10

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the games in bold. I don't think I'm good enough or patient enough for strategy games like Into the Breach.

Surpaland looks like it could be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad