Steals from the '05 draft

Oiluvit

Jun 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Now that we've had some time to see the crop of 2005 develop a bit more, who are some of the steals emerging? Whose GMs got 2005 right?

I would list Dan Ryder, Slava Trukhno, Kris Letang, Illya Zubov as some that I have noticed.

Others?

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Stanislav Lascek, Marek Kvapil, Matt Keetley, Nikolai Lemtyugov, Darren Helm, Nathan Davis, Patrick McNeill, Mathieu Aubin, Matt D'Agostini, etc. etc. etc.

2005 had plenty of late round gems.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
I think as of now (though it's obviously still much too early to judge the draft), the Habs had a hell of a draft with Latendresse, Aubin, D'Agostini, and S. Kostitsyn. You can disagree with the Price first round pick, but he does have potential to be a top level starter, and the subsequent picks of a lot of steal potential.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
No one, yet. I mean what really classifies as a steal one year after the draft? Five years is the normal time table for looking back at the draft, which would put us at 2000 or 2001 (I forget which year THN is on - they may have skipped with due to the lockout).

A player can go from being a late round pick to a steal to a bust, which really means that he wasn't a bust, just a late round pick that panned out like a late round player.

So...wait another 4 years. ;)

Oiluvit

Jun 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
BigE said:
No one, yet. I mean what really classifies as a steal one year after the draft? Five years is the normal time table for looking back at the draft, which would put us at 2000 or 2001 (I forget which year THN is on - they may have skipped with due to the lockout).

A player can go from being a late round pick to a steal to a bust, which really means that he wasn't a bust, just a late round pick that panned out like a late round player.

True, of course... but its fun to talk about emerging steals, which is what I asked about.

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
1) Jakub Kindl........although he WAS taken in the 1st round, the geniuses at TSn hammered this pick becuase the Wings were gambling becuase Kindl hadn't lived up to his 'potnetial' in his first year w/ Kitchener. Check the stats now. Based on how the pick was derided I'd say it is looking like a steal

2)Johan Ryno

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
BigE said:

I agree that no one is a steal yet cause it's too early. I would assume that people are talking more about guys who were picked late in the draft but have surprised and are having a great year.

My example would be Mathieu Aubin who was taken in the 5th round, 130th overall. This year he scored more goals then he had points in any other season. As one of the top scorers in the QMJHL this year, you could say his success was a surprise and that it's looking like a steal although the guy could end up never playing a game in the NHL. At this point and time though his offensive production could label him a possible steal.

Or a guy like Siarhei Kostitsyn who was picked in the 7th round, 200th overall but went on to lead the OHL in rookie scoring and has been among the top scorers in the OHL playoffs.

Chad Rau, Nikolai Lemtyugov, Anton Stralman, Matt Keetley, Tomas Pospisil, Slava Trukhno, Patrick McNeill, Keith Yandle, Cody Franson, Dan Ryder, Perttu Lindgren all come to mind as possible steals. In time we'll start to see which ones are steals. ( I left out all 1st and 2nd rounders since imo they aren't really steals that high)

Vic Rattlehead*

Bruins have two potential steals. Jonathan Sigalet and Vladimir Sobotka.

Kalus is looking real good as well for a second rounder.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
montreal said:
I agree that no one is a steal yet cause it's too early. I would assume that people are talking more about guys who were picked late in the draft but have surprised and are having a great year.

My example would be Mathieu Aubin who was taken in the 5th round, 130th overall. This year he scored more goals then he had points in any other season. As one of the top scorers in the QMJHL this year, you could say his success was a surprise and that it's looking like a steal although the guy could end up never playing a game in the NHL. At this point and time though his offensive production could label him a possible steal.

Or a guy like Siarhei Kostitsyn who was picked in the 7th round, 200th overall but went on to lead the OHL in rookie scoring and has been among the top scorers in the OHL playoffs.

Chad Rau, Nikolai Lemtyugov, Anton Stralman, Matt Keetley, Tomas Pospisil, Slava Trukhno, Patrick McNeill, Keith Yandle, Cody Franson, Dan Ryder, Perttu Lindgren all come to mind as possible steals. In time we'll start to see which ones are steals. ( I left out all 1st and 2nd rounders since imo they aren't really steals that high)

Few, if any, of the names mentioned here will pan out as real steals. I think hype threads such as this supply false hope to those that don't know any better.

For conversation purposes it's great, but I just don't see the sense. Wet blanket, I know. ;)

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
BigE said:

That's true but I would say a player playing in the NHL before others drafted before him takes presidence. Which I think should be the reason for a thread like this one.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Tom Wandell. Not even a given he could continue playing, and has in fact played pretty well this year from what I heard.

Actually, an undrafted player too -- Mario Scalzo. He's looked good in Iowa and has not been the defensive liability some feared. Size is still a big issue though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad