Stay home,save yourself a headache

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
They are in NA just because their parents can sponsor their kids and that's it.

Exactly ozo, and its not a development a lot of people in North America are happy about. These teams these kids are playing for in what are termed "Outlaw Leagues", not a route with much success. Supposedly Tier II Jr.A but in reality more akin to Midget AAA. Not officially sanctioned, the operators "selling the dream" in a pay-for-play scheme. The players winding up in small remote markets in Northern Ontario or wherever (or the US) in a lot of cases at like 15/16/17/18, not able to really integrate what with language difficulties etc, schooling a problem & so on. While these leagues are scouted somewhat including Combines, NCAA, Provincial & Major Jr teams taking a look at the talent playing unfortunately very few move beyond them returning home often very disappointed, quitting the game when had they stayedat home & developed perhaps at a slower pace their odds wouldve increased to play pro if not in North America then in Europe. Some people are late bloomers. Nothin wrong with that, as well as the different style of game & brand of hockey as played in Russia, Finland or wherever else which is quite excellent.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Sounds like Abramov is gone to CHL...
i'd have understood sokolov going there, he looks like a man among boys when playing for the nt. abramov? why'd he go to play in that meat grinder, i don't understand it at all. the better path for the players of his stature is to stay home and play on the big ice.there're rumors he won't be the only one. if popugaev goes too, that'll be a complete failure:help:

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
Russian players who are giving an opportunity to play in the NHL most of the time are not going to reject it. NHL is a better, faster league, and the only place you are given an opportunity to win the greatest trophy in the world.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Russian players who are giving an opportunity to play in the NHL most of the time are not going to reject it. NHL is a better, faster league, and the only place you are given an opportunity to win the greatest trophy in the world.

This belongs on the corner of my driveway.

loppa*

Correct me if I am wrong but here is my opinion...

The NHL expanded a lot in the 1990s. One reason why was because a lot of Russians came into the league - to accomodate more players more space was made. In those dark days (for Russia), people would flee if they can play hockey well. That means that many NHL teams had a wide range of Russian players. It would still be so today. However, I think it's fair to say that we no longer see those low end Russian players in the NHL, because the KHL keeps them. Hence, yes, so many of them have an opportunity. But the key thing that you are missing there is opportunity with meaningful minutes. Most would reject playing in the NHL if they end up averaging say 5 mins a game.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Correct me if I am wrong but here is my opinion...

The NHL expanded a lot in the 1990s. One reason why was because a lot of Russians came into the league - to accomodate more players more space was made. In those dark days (for Russia), people would flee if they can play hockey well. That means that many NHL teams had a wide range of Russian players. It would still be so today. However, I think it's fair to say that we no longer see those low end Russian players in the NHL, because the KHL keeps them. Hence, yes, so many of them have an opportunity. But the key thing that you are missing there is opportunity with meaningful minutes. Most would reject playing in the NHL if they end up averaging say 5 mins a game.

what do you mean by low-end Russian players in the NHL? Low end Russian players play in RHL.

loppa*

what do you mean by low-end Russian players in the NHL? Low end Russian players play in RHL.

I meant low end by NHL standards.

If Russia was in chaos like it was in say 1994, we would see far more Russians playing in the NHL, and perhaps another or two more NHL teams.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I meant low end by NHL standards.

If Russia was in chaos like it was in say 1994, we would see far more Russians playing in the NHL, and perhaps another or two more NHL teams.

there's no way Russia has as much talent as SU had in the late 80's early 90's, when we had 80 or so players in the NHL.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
there's no way Russia has as much talent as SU had in the late 80's early 90's, when we had 80 or so players in the NHL.
true, but the big clubs are awash in money now, that can't be said for the 90's. those few, who'd have some marginal demand among the nhl clubs, tend to stay in russia.

loppa*

^ This is a fascinating discussion. I think it goes far to show that the situation of hockey in Russia has indeed improved in the last couple decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00