Stay at homes, who is the best?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Gryba becomes a regular he will bank one day... See Clayton Stoner

I really like Stoner & he gave Neil a pretty good fight last yr.

I like Cowen & Gryba as a shutdown tandem, they just need more experience & could be great together. Phillips has the most expeience defensively on our team but I think Methot is the best defensive defenceman right now on Ottawa.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
To me there is no such thing as a best "stay at home". To stay at home means the puck is in your end or you probably allow easy zone entry because you're backing off the line in order to "stay at home".

Murray confuses me sometimes. I remember him saying "I want the other team to block shots" around the time he didn't resign Volchenkov.

Now its Eugene Melnyk saying he wished he had a Volchenkov type to block shots....

I remember when Phillips and Volch were solid, it wasn't cause they were blocking shots, it was because they could actually skate well enough to hammer guys at the blue line and deny entry. That was about 2004-2008 ish... Didn't hurt to be playing with one of the most dominant O lines in the league at that time as well...

So I would say Claesson because he has the best potential to get the puck then get it out of the zone easily.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really like Stoner & he gave Neil a pretty good fight last yr.

I like Cowen & Gryba as a shutdown tandem, they just need more experience & could be great together. Phillips has the most expeience defensively on our team but I think Methot is the best defensive defenceman right now on Ottawa.

I agree with your assessment of Methot. He is very mobile for a big defenseman. He is solid defensively and decent at puck handling, shooting and passing, but not elite or top tier.

I have concerns about the mobility of Cowen and Gryba. I hope they can improve on that in the future. They certainly have the size to be intimidating defenders and play play-off style physical defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad