Stats for the Marleau and Thornton bashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I don't understand why anyone argues about Thornton/marleau failing to deliver a cup. This team has never, ever, had a complete team. We have always been missing a top defender, and elite goaltending is questionable. Weve also never had a complete 4 lines ever, and outside of one year with pavs on the third line, we barely have even had 3 complete lines.

What I'm saying is, how can you blame the top players, when they've never been given proper support. You're basically saying you think Thornton/marleau should be so great, they literally drag a bad team to a cup, something no one has done in years. I think they could overcome a few issues, but going into the playoffs with 2.5 lines, mediocre at best defense, and a goalie that can't overcome mediocre defense, means you can't have an intellectually honest argument that it's only/mainly your top players faults, on any team.

It's basically the same as blaming Crosby/malkin for not winning more cups, yet just like sj, they've not had complete teams for years as well. I guess they should get rid of them.

If we had a complete team like la or chi for couple years, and then we still failed to win a cup, and Thornton/Marleau failed to play up to expectations I could understand blaming them. That's not the case though.

Given their regular season dominance, I'm not sure how you can make this argument.

Remember this team went a calendar year without losing in regulation at home, won a presidents trophy and previous to last year had the 2nd longest PO streak going.

I don't think anyone is claiming #19 and #12 are THE SOLE reason why we never won a cup and CERTAINLY are not the reasons most argue why we should trade them.

I remain flabbergasted that the #19 and #12 fan club cannot understand that.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
"Your top guys have to be the difference if you are going to win. Bottom line."

Sure lets do that with thornton and marleau then.

Sharks vs kings 2013-14. Sharks scored 19 goals that series. Thornton and markeau were apart of 10 of those 19 goals. Which is 52% of the teams goals were with thornton and marleau being apart of. Which is still better then the hawks due with 6 points of 13 goals. Remind me which team went on to win there respective series?

How about the kings series in 2012-13? The team scored 10 goals that series, thornton and marleau were apart of 7 of 10 goals that series. I guess it was thornton and marleaus fault they were only apart of 70% of the goals right? Which came down to game 7 which the Sharks lost 5-1, and Thornton 0G 0A -2 Marleau 0G 0A -3

How about the st louis series in 2011-12. The team scored 8 goals that series. Thornton and marleau were apart of 5 of 8 goals (all 5 of them being thornton). For a total of 62% of the goals were scored with thornton. Game 1: Sharks win 3-2 2OT No points for Marleau or Thornton. Game 2: 3-0 loss no points for Marleau or Thornton both -1. Game 3: 4-3 loss Thornton 3 assists Marleau 0g 1A no big goal to get the win and be the difference maker. Game 4: 2-1 loss Thornton only sharks goal with 1 minute remaining in game, Marleau 0g 0A Not difference makers. Game5: 3-1 loss (w/en) Thornton 1 goal (even) Marleau 0g 0a -2 Not difference makers

How about the 2010-11 series vs vanvouver. Sharks scored 11 goals that series. Thornton and marleau were involved in 13 points of 11 goals. Game 1: 3-2loss Thornton 1g 1PPa, Marleau 1 PPG just not enough to get it done. Game 2: 7-3 loss Thornton 1 a Marleau 1 G not even close to a difference maker. Game 3: 4-3win Thornton 3A Marleau2G 1a Finally difference makers but why can't they do it more? Game 4: 4-2loss They follow the great effort with Marleau 1a Thornton 0g 0a. Game5: 3-2 2OTloss Marleau 1a -2 Thornton 0g 0a -2 Not difference makers.

How about 2009-10 vs the hawks. Sharks scored 7 goals. Thornton and marleau were involved with all 7 goals (6 of the goals scored were specifically from marleau). Marleau assisted on the only other goal he did not score.
Game 1: 2-1 loss Marleau 1a -2 Thornton 0g 0a -2. Game2: 4-2loss Marleau 2g (1ppg -even) Thornton 1a -2. Game3: 3-2loss Marleau 2g still finished an even, Thornton 0g 0a +1. Game 4: 4-2loss Marleau 1g finished even, Thornton 0g 0a -2. Not even close to make a difference and win the series.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't remember all of the Kings and Hawks top guys being difference makers every time in their series wins over the years. It's just feeding into the thought process that the other guys should just wait around until Thornton and Marleau win them the games because they're just so talented. This is a real issue that the team has talked about on more than one occasion over the years. It may not be in so many words but when those two have slumped during the season, comments are made that that isn't an excuse to not win games and it's not. The team has to pick them up from time to time because that's what a team does especially if they have aspirations of winning a league championship.

But keep feeding into thought process. It's done them well so far to just sit around until those two make it happen for the team.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Given their regular season dominance, I'm not sure how you can make this argument.

Remember this team went a calendar year without losing in regulation at home, won a presidents trophy and previous to last year had the 2nd longest PO streak going.

I don't think anyone is claiming #19 and #12 are THE SOLE reason why we never won a cup and CERTAINLY are not the reasons most argue why we should trade them.

Their regular season success is meaningless. Every athlete in existence will say the same thing, the playoffs are a new season, everything you did before them, is meaningless. Case in point LA, they've been terrible(by playoff team standards) during the regular season for many years, yet once they make the playoffs, they are a whole different team. Ill say it again, show me a team that was as incomplete as the Sharks have been, that two star players dragged to a cup.

Its absolutely laughable that you think, or pretend, that no one blames, or attempts to blame them for no cup. Thornton is called tin man for christs sake, that is specifically because people blame him for always choking in the playoffs, thus his teams never win a cup. Plus marleau has been criticized all the time, specifically for his "will" to win seeming lacking, due to him not getting overtly upset while playing.

I can't count the number of times people have said this team will never win a cup while Thornton and marleau are still here. That there is a culture of playoff failure because of them, and that they've never been good enough to lead a team to a cup. If you honestly believe statements like those either, don't happen, or don't mean that people place the blame of losing at their feet, you are living in a fantasy world.

Once again I find it absurd to blame them, when this team has never been close to as complete as a team like Chicago, or Boston, or LA. They might be the problem, but you cannot intellectually argue that when there are numerous other glaring holes on the roster.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Their regular season success is meaningless. Every athlete in existence will say the same thing, the playoffs are a new season, everything you did before them, is meaningless. Case in point LA, they've been terrible(by playoff team standards) during the regular season for many years, yet once they make the playoffs, they are a whole different team. Ill say it again, show me a team that was as incomplete as the Sharks have been, that two star players dragged to a cup.

Its absolutely laughable that you think, or pretend, that no one blames, or attempts to blame them for no cup. Thornton is called tin man for christs sake, that is specifically because people blame him for always choking in the playoffs, thus his teams never win a cup. Plus marleau has been criticized all the time, specifically for his "will" to win seeming lacking, due to him not getting overtly upset while playing.

I can't count the number of times people have said this team will never win a cup while Thornton and marleau are still here. That there is a culture of playoff failure because of them, and that they've never been good enough to lead a team to a cup. If you honestly believe statements like those either, don't happen, or don't mean that people place the blame of losing at their feet, you are living in a fantasy world.

Once again I find it absurd to blame them, when this team has never been close to as complete as a team like Chicago, or Boston, or LA. They might be the problem, but you cannot intellectually argue that when there are numerous other glaring holes on the roster.

You're arguing against an argument I am not making and I haven't seen in over five years en mass.

:shakehead

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You're arguing against an argument I am not making and I haven't seen in over five years en mass.

:shakehead

Please enlighten me then, because either your words, or my understanding of them are flawed.

What 5 years past argument do you think I'm arguing?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Please enlighten me then, because either your words, or my understanding of them are flawed.

What 5 years past argument do you think I'm arguing?

It seems like what you are saying is that because the Sharks didn't have a talented enough roster (in theory) to win a cup in any of those years, the performance of Thornton and Marleau is irrelevant.

There's also a real danger here of not acknowledging the opportunities the Sharks had in the past. With the cap expanding, rosters have become much more competitive in recent years. But between 2006 and 2009ish, the Sharks had a very competitive roster relative to the environment. They spent to the cap, etc. And they had opportunities to advance which they bobbled. Not only were JT and Marleau leaders and premier players on those teams, too frequently, their performances were not something to write home about.

Moreover, year after year, it isn't like the other team's depth is smashing the Sharks. Its their top players. Guys like JT and Marleau losing to Toews, Kopitar, Hemsky, Sedin. Goaltenders like Nabokov losing to Roloson, Osgood, Hiller, Niemi. All the while, the Sharks have generally surrounded their top forwards with other top forwards, and very frequently they've had depth up front, as well. I've said it before, but you'll be surprised how good your depth looks when your star players are leading the way.

Again I will point out that for the vast majority of SC finalists, scoring primarily comes from a handful guys. Tampa Bay had 50% of its scoring come from 3 players; Chicago had 44%; same with LA the year before. Guys like Kopitar, Toews, Kane, etc. are constantly leading their team in scoring, or at least around the top. They aren't being outscored by Devin Setoguchi and James Sheppard. The only exception I can think of in recent years has been New York...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I appreciate you guys making this thread. It's given me a lot of time to think about Thornton and Marleau's beautiful facial hair, especially those eyebrows.

This is really some of the best content that these boards have ever produced. I know, it's a low bar but holy cow I can't imagine any other topic or thread past, present, or future that will ever have as much detail and polite discourse as this one. I stand by my convictions but I respect yours.

Screw you Foofs and your CPPG+EMS Bull honky. It's clearly CPPG/TBS that matters.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It seems like what you are saying is that because the Sharks didn't have a talented enough roster (in theory) to win a cup in any of those years, the performance of Thornton and Marleau is irrelevant.

Than you misunderstood my argument. My argument is simple. When you try to determine the cause of something, anything, you have to eliminate all the other variables or you come up with a flawed conclusion.

This team has always had multiple deficiencies in the makeup of the team. We've never had a cup caliber d, never had bottom 6 production of a high enough caliber to help the team, more than hurt it, we've had a year or two where our goalies have played well enough to force the team to win, and our top six has been less than other cup caliber teams on average.

So what I'm saying is, you can't, no matter how much you want to try, blame our cuplessness on Thornton and marleau, when every single year we've been in the playoffs it's been with a blatantly lacking overall team. They very well could be the reason, but you cannot prove it, because there are too many other negative variables that could also be the cause.

I'll ask the question yet again, show me one team in recent history that had woefully bad d and bottom 6 production, that two star players willed to a cup despite it. Also, why haven't Crosby and malkin won more cups, if winning cups can be done solely on the backs of two of the best players in the league, and they are in their prime to boot.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This team has always had multiple deficiencies in the makeup of the team. We've never had a cup caliber d, never had bottom 6 production of a high enough caliber to help the team, more than hurt it, we've had a year or two where our goalies have played well enough to force the team to win, and our top six has been less than other cup caliber teams on average.

How much production do you want from the bottom-6? They got plenty of production from the bottom-6 in 2014. Like I said, typically, a huge chunk of your scoring comes from a handful of players. The notion that players like James Sheppard and Raffi Torres need to be putting up 10+ points a series is ridiculous.

They very well could be the reason, but you cannot prove it, because there are too many other negative variables that could also be the cause.

It is actually easy to do, as I and others have, in this thread, tried to do. You can simply watch the games, and can identify problems and issues. Moreover, with the way statistics are provided, you can somewhat isolate players.

I'll ask the question yet again, show me one team in recent history that had woefully bad d and bottom 6 production, that two star players willed to a cup despite it.

This is a loaded question, as you are making the Sharks's D to to have been worse than it really is. Obviously, it was very poor in 2014 once Vlasic went down, but they've had a strong defense during several iterations.

Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh, LAx2....

Also, why haven't Crosby and malkin won more cups, if winning cups can be done solely on the backs of two of the best players in the league, and they are in their prime to boot.

You are perverting the argument. It isn't like you JUST need two star players to win a cup. You do need support. But you're never going to have Anze Kopitar on the fourth line. Pittsburgh's issues can be traced to shoddy goaltending and a very poor defense, but one can also point to the fact that Crosby and Malkin are often neutralized come playoff time. Crosby in particular struggles against large, long-spanned defensemen.

Again, no one is saying that JT and Marleau ALONE are sufficient to win a cup...that's why players like Bourque and Iginla get some leeway. But, no matter how much you want to deny it, JT and Marleau have at times been surrounded by a lot of great talent, and have had many opportunities to eliminate opponents that they didn't take advantage of...given some pretty good horses, they didn't fare so well in the race.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There really is no point in furthering this argument as every stat that could be dug up has been dug up.

Thornton/Marleau Basher will say that some opponents stud player puts up ____ pts per game in the playoffs.
Thornton/Marleau Supporters will present stats that show Thornton/Marleau performed very similarly.
Thornton/Marleau Basher will say, but those were in games 1-4.
Thornton/Marleau supporter will present stats that show otherwise
Thornton/Marleau Basher will say, but they were all points on the Power Play.
Thornton/Marleau supporter will argue power play pts are just as important as even strength points.
Thornton/Marleau basher will say, but they were a -1 for the series therefore they clearly were outplayed by other teams best players.
Thornton/Marleau supporter will get angry
and then it will repeat and repeat....

Not really what happens. Supporters will cling to the equivalent PPG argument, ignoring any kind of nuance or context. At best, they will bring out the corsi argument (JT and Marleau dominate corsi, therefore, they are the best!!!)

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm sad at this thread.

The reality is the best players sharks have EVER iced haven't won a cup. So...this franchise has a way to go.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

The regular season is far different from the playoffs. When one team dismantles another team and hammers them in their own zone, they will resort to infractions to cope. In the regular season these are penalized. In the playoffs they are not, which gives the advantage to the infracting team. It ends up reducing the impact of the raw effectiveness of some players.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The regular season is far different from the playoffs. When one team dismantles another team and hammers them in their own zone, they will resort to infractions to cope. In the regular season these are penalized. In the playoffs they are not, which gives the advantage to the infracting team. It ends up reducing the impact of the raw effectiveness of some players.

Well, calls tend to increase in the playoffs, not decrease.

I do agree that the nature of the calls tends to change. However, that has been par-for-the-course in the history of the NHL.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Calls per infraction drop dramatically.

How you defining infractions?

Calls are also highly dependent on game of the series:http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/game-7-is-a-great-time-to-get-physical/

So the later a series goes, the less correctly the games are called. Which explains some things.

That is very, very loaded language you are using. What if the way the games are called in the playoffs is the "correct" way to call the games?

Hockey has never been a game completely called "by the book". It has always been a game with a different set of rules depending on the context of the game. Some of use are able to make that distinction when talking about rules and refereeing. Many of us think that that kind of duality is necessary for the game.

Players should respond to the situation by adjusting to the shifted rules. If they can't do that, it is completely on them.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Well, calls tend to increase in the playoffs, not decrease.

I do agree that the nature of the calls tends to change. However, that has been par-for-the-course in the history of the NHL.

How you defining infractions?

That is very, very loaded language you are using. What if the way the games are called in the playoffs is the "correct" way to call the games?

Hockey has never been a game completely called "by the book". It has always been a game with a different set of rules depending on the context of the game. Some of use are able to make that distinction when talking about rules and refereeing. Many of us think that that kind of duality is necessary for the game.

Players should respond to the situation by adjusting to the shifted rules. If they can't do that, it is completely on them.

Come on man...

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
How much production do you want from the bottom-6? They got plenty of production from the bottom-6 in 2014. Like I said, typically, a huge chunk of your scoring comes from a handful of players. The notion that players like James Sheppard and Raffi Torres need to be putting up 10+ points a series is ridiculous.

First off I've never commented on how many points I expect a bottom 6 to get, so your silly exaggeration that I think a bottom 6 player needs to score 10 points a series is insultingly attempting to put words in my mouth.

Second, other than your one year example, our bottom 6 has never come close to producing at a respectable rate. I spent some time looking at stats for every cup winning team since 2005-06. I then separated them into top 6 , bottom 6 , defense and goaltending.

The average bottom 6 produces 1.92 points pg, and .75 goals pg. Our bottom six has been above that average exactly once, conveniently it was the one year you pointed out. Our bottom 6 average ( generously leaving in 2014) is 1.12 points per game, and .46 goals per game. Not close. If I take that year out it is .91 and .38 respectively. That's not even close to good enough.

It is actually easy to do, as I and others have, in this thread, tried to do. You can simply watch the games, and can identify problems and issues. Moreover, with the way statistics are provided, you can somewhat isolate players.

You're still missing the point, I'll try again. I understand, and agree that you can look at stats, and watch games, and notice issues with the team. What I'm saying is, you cannot prove which issue is the biggest one, because there are too many variables. To determine a cause you have to remove variables, or control them, so you can isolate each problem and find out what the cause is. In hockey, and specifically with the Sharks, you can't prove that if Thornton/marleau were on a team as complete as the Hawks, or LA, that they wouldn't win.

This is a loaded question, as you are making the Sharks's D to to have been worse than it really is. Obviously, it was very poor in 2014 once Vlasic went down, but they've had a strong defense during several iterations.

Carolina, Detroit, Pittsburgh, LAx2....

I'll give you Carolina, they were a not very good team, that the top 6 massively outplayed their bottom 6, and their defense didn't do much offensively, but was solid defensively. However points production wise it wasn't close.

Detroit is laughable, they had one of the most complete teams in memory. Their defense was amazing and osgood was amazing their cup year. Dats/zetts did not drag that team to a cup even if they personally did well.

Pitt is close because they got some rough goaltending from fluerry, and Crosby/malkin did some heavy lifting, but they also got good production from their d and bottom 6.

LA again is just silly, they had amazing goaltending one year, and the second cup their defense and bottom 6 were among the top two rates of production in the last decade. So no, kopitar/? did not drag that team to a cup either.

You are perverting the argument. It isn't like you JUST need two star players to win a cup. You do need support. But you're never going to have Anze Kopitar on the fourth line. Pittsburgh's issues can be traced to shoddy goaltending and a very poor defense, but one can also point to the fact that Crosby and Malkin are often neutralized come playoff time. Crosby in particular struggles against large, long-spanned defensemen.

I'm glad you admit two star players can't force a team to a cup. That's basically all I've been saying this whole time, and it's why I find all the whining about Thornton/marleau not being good enough to win a cup, or that this team will never win one while their here, absurd. So thank you for admitting that.

So the real question is though, have they actually ever had proper support? I argue no. Not once has this team had adequate top 6, bottom six, defense, and goaltending all in the same year. We've had the goaltending once, the defense and top 6 production a couple times, and bottom 6 once.

Again, no one is saying that JT and Marleau ALONE are sufficient to win a cup...that's why players like Bourque and Iginla get some leeway. But, no matter how much you want to deny it, JT and Marleau have at times been surrounded by a lot of great talent, and have had many opportunities to eliminate opponents that they didn't take advantage of...given some pretty good horses, they didn't fare so well in the race.

I don't deny that they have had some decent players around them, never have. I do deny that we have have ever had a COMPLETE team around them. So I say it's stupid to argue it's their fault this team hasn't won a cup, when it would have required a lucky run like Pitt or Carolina had, instead of expected results like Chicago, boston, Detroit, LA(especially the second one) and Anaheim.

By the way, to switch gears a little, while compiling stats tonight, I noticed just how bad this team did under Mclellan. Specifically the defense. Boyle and mclellan came in the same year, every single year after, our defense was negative in the playoffs, and was positive the three years prior. I never did really believe in Mclellan, specifically after the St. Louis series, but never really looked at it closely. I'm hoping our new coach/system, improved bottom 6, fat free defense, along with hopeful bounce back years from guys like marleau, nieto and hertl will lead to great things. Biggest question to me at this point is what jones/stalock can do.

Lastly, for all the ****holes in the thread trying derail, or belittle the content of the thread, get the **** out. If you are so annoyed or bored by the topic then just ignore the thread, stop being self centered ***** who think just because you don't want to talk about something, who cares that others might want to.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And we're done. I warned everyone that the next incident of flaming was gonna get the thread shut down. Never said it had to be flaming in the service of the pro or anti Marleau/Thornton argument.

Also please do not pm me or another mod to reopen the thread on start a new iteration of this debate. It's over. Finished. It's too well trodden and there's nothing left but to argue in circles and occasionally devolve into petty insults and attacks. Kind of like what's happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad