Stats at the break

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
This has been a very good year for the B's thus far. Couple of stats:

-7pts lead atop of the division with game in hands
-2nd bet ROW in the league with 36, 3 behind Ana (3 games in hands...)
-5th best offense in the league (2nd in the East) with 3,07 goal per game
-2nd best defense in the league (best in the East) with 2,14 goal allowed/game
-Best 5 on 5 team in the league with 1,48
-2nd best goal differential in the league at +51
-8th best PP with 20,4%
-10th best PK (could be better...) at 83%
-8 10+ goal scorers (Yeti has 9)
-After a very slow start, Marchand is our leading goal scorer with 19
-The ugly? 0-2 against that weak Habs team. Rask is 2-10-2 in his career against them. Will he ever show up for these games?

Only 25 games to go before the real season. Will see what acquisition Chia will make before the deadline.

The Bruins are clearly the team to beat in the East for that SCF ticket.

Enjoy the ride fellow B's fans!

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Most impressive to me is Marchand leading the team in goals. He scored his 5th goal of the year in Edmonton. In the 25 games since then (starting from the Vancouver game) he has 14. I'm pretty sure that's a 46 goal pace. He's been on fire. We'll need him producing like this in the playoffs. 0-0-0 in the SCF again will bring the same result as last year.

The Eastern Conference runs through Boston again this year. I'm really exited for this stretch run.

Tim O'Reilly

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ont.
Visit site
Great recap and well said Jean! Let's not have a short memory and think back to what so much of the 90's and early 2000's were like for our Bruins. Enjoy the ride for sure!

Great first half Bruins!

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Only concern is the PK when you look at some of the PP's we'll face in the playoffs. But otherwise stellar, and I trust Claude to get the PK right.

Every game down the stretch is one more the kids on D get to gain experience. It's nice that Krug has been there, we'll see what Miller and company can do to become quick learners come playoff time when the stakes are so high. But I expect good things.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The x-factors to me are Marchand and Lucic. We've seen absolutely phenomenal years, 2011 for Marchand, 2009, 2010, and 2013 for Lucic, and underachieving years, 2011 & 2012 for Lucic, 2012 & 2013 for Marchand. Give me 2011 Vancouver Marchand in the SCF last year, we win the Cup. All of the games we lost were 1-goal games (one was 2, but ENG), you'd think Marchand would eat that up. Last year, during and after Game 7 vs. Toronto, Lucic was simply unstoppable. He's just way too powerful and way too skilled. He's much faster this year, he's an absolute nightmare. They're two of our most skilled offensive players, and both bring different elements. Marchand gets players off their games, Lucic intimidates with his skill and power... But both can be inconsistent.

I said it at the beginning of the season, Lucic-Krejci-Iginla has the potential to be unstoppable. Two extremely physical players who both know how to score, best postseason player of the past 3 years in the middle. It also has the potential to float like crazy. But if that line plays anything like they're playing right now, good luck defending them in a 7 game series. I just want to see goals like this again.

My prediction is Bruins-Blues in the SCF. That would be one for the ages.

Uli Kunkel

Feb 8, 2014
Hopefully the standings stay the same and the Bolts knock out the Habs in the first round.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This has been a very good year for the B's thus far. Couple of stats:

-7pts lead atop of the division with game in hands
-2nd bet ROW in the league with 36, 3 behind Ana (3 games in hands...)
-5th best offense in the league (2nd in the East) with 3,07 goal per game
-2nd best defense in the league (best in the East) with 2,14 goal allowed/game
-Best 5 on 5 team in the league with 1,48
-2nd best goal differential in the league at +51
-8th best PP with 20,4%
-10th best PK (could be better...) at 83%
-8 10+ goal scorers (Yeti has 9)
-After a very slow start, Marchand is our leading goal scorer with 19
-The ugly? 0-2 against that weak Habs team. Rask is 2-10-2 in his career against them. Will he ever show up for these games?

Only 25 games to go before the real season. Will see what acquisition Chia will make before the deadline.

The Bruins are clearly the team to beat in the East for that SCF ticket.

Enjoy the ride fellow B's fans!

Wouldn't exactly call them a weak team (though I wish I could).

Coolest stat heard yesterday: Ottawa power play is 1st on the road, 30th at home.

Randomtask68

Jul 19, 2010
Burlington, MA
I have to say I am pretty impressed that the defense has held up as well this year considering the turnover and injuries the team has dealt with this year.

- Lose Ference as a top 4 D
- Lose Seidenberg to injury
- Lose veteran D McQuaid for large portions of the year
- Lose up and coming Hamilton for stretches of time due to injury
- Bergeron not looking like himself early in the year after battling injuries in the playoffs
- First 82 game regular season with Tuukka as the starter
- Eriksson and Kelly, forwards known for their D, are lost to injury for long stretches
- Smith stepping in for Eriksson and looking good without the puck and in his own zone
- First full NHL regular season for Soderberg, Krug, Bartkowski, Miller
- Coming off a season where they went to the Stanley Cup Finals where they had a very short summer

Goes to show how good Rask, Chara and Julien are in their respective roles. This team has gone through a decent amount of injuries and younger players entering the lineup with little experience and we still rank highly in defense.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have to say I am pretty impressed that the defense has held up as well this year considering the turnover and injuries the team has dealt with this year.

- Lose Ference as a top 4 D
- Lose Seidenberg to injury
- Lose veteran D McQuaid for large portions of the year
- Lose up and coming Hamilton for stretches of time due to injury
- Bergeron not looking like himself early in the year after battling injuries in the playoffs
- First 82 game regular season with Tuukka as the starter
- Eriksson and Kelly, forwards known for their D, are lost to injury for long stretches
- Smith stepping in for Eriksson and looking good without the puck and in his own zone
- First full NHL regular season for Soderberg, Krug, Bartkowski, Miller
- Coming off a season where they went to the Stanley Cup Finals where they had a very short summer

Goes to show how good Rask, Chara and Julien are in their respective roles. This team has gone through a decent amount of injuries and younger players entering the lineup with little experience and we still rank highly in defense.

Especially the man behind the bench.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well said Jean J.

The B's are fun to watch of late for sure.

Marchy is on his game, has his mojo, has his swagger whatever it is it shows on his face and in the game. He made me smile last night.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm absolutely loving the +/- of our top 6:

Bergeron: +25
Krejci: +25
Iginla: +25
Marchand: +23
Lucic: +21
Smith: +15 (hasn't played full season in top 6)

Still think we have the best/most complete top 6 in the league, and those numbers back that up.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

These are great numbers and I don't want to bring down the party... But the B's used to be sub 2.00 GAA. Since Seidenberg went down, their PK has dropped from near the top of the league to 10th and their GAA has been 2.42. That would be good for tenth in the league again, but I think it's a troubling stat for a team that identifies itself with a strong team defense.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'm absolutely loving the +/- of our top 6:

Bergeron: +25
Krejci: +25
Iginla: +25
Marchand: +23
Lucic: +21
Smith: +15 (hasn't played full season in top 6)

Still think we have the best/most complete top 6 in the league, and those numbers back that up.

Look at the +/- leaders. All from four teams.
Pens, Bruins, Hawks, Ducks... Followed by Ducks, Ducks, Pens, Bruins, Bruins, Bruins, Ducks, Ducks, Hawks, Bruins. Anaheim and Boston both with six players +20 or better.

The Ducks are the team to beat this season, methinks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

These are great numbers and I don't want to bring down the party... But the B's used to be sub 2.00 GAA. Since Seidenberg went down, their PK has dropped from near the top of the league to 10th and their GAA has been 2.42. That would be good for tenth in the league again, but I think it's a troubling stat for a team that identifies itself with a strong team defense.

Good point.

Kelly should help the PK somewhat.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I'm not that worried about the PK. If I remember correctly, they had a stretch last year where their PK was struggling and everyone was concerned, but they got it together. The PK will always be there for this team when they need it.

I don't see one glaring weakness for this team. They really just have some fine tuning to do.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'm not that worried about the PK. If I remember correctly, they had a stretch last year where their PK was struggling and everyone was concerned, but they got it together. The PK will always be there for this team when they need it.

I don't see one glaring weakness for this team. They really just have some fine tuning to do.

Fine tuning is a great way to put it. I started a thread earlier this season asking what the Bruins were lousy at. Figured there wasn't a single aspect of the game that really gave them fits. I think now that Chad Johnson has proven himself more than capable to take regular starts, we only have one position to worry about and it's finding a decent replacement for the loss of Seidenberg.

member 96824

Good point.

Kelly should help the PK somewhat.

PK was identical after Kelly went down....tanked after Seids went down.

That's my concern, if we stand pat on the back end, give the classic "prices were too high" excuse and our defense struggles in the playoffs..it's going to be hard to cope with.

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
PK was identical after Kelly went down....tanked after Seids went down.

That's my concern, if we stand pat on the back end, give the classic "prices were too high" excuse and our defense struggles in the playoffs..it's going to be hard to cope with.

How is that an excuse?

I will never not be amazed by this board's insistence at making a move just because, and the stubborn refusal to believe that trades don't happen in a vacuum. And what's even funnier is that this board would completely implode if someone like Spooner was traded away in a GFIN move.

Oh, Bruins board, never change. :help: :laugh:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

It's all relative though. We could have a 4.00 GAA, but if it's #2 in the league, I'm very happy about it.

As for Seids, there was a clear adjustment period, for sure, but I think you have to look at how much they've improved since that horrible stretch that they had when he went down.

Look at the +/- leaders. All from four teams.
Pens, Bruins, Hawks, Ducks... Followed by Ducks, Ducks, Pens, Bruins, Bruins, Bruins, Ducks, Ducks, Hawks, Bruins. Anaheim and Boston both with six players +20 or better.

The Ducks are the team to beat this season, methinks.

Get back to me when they've done anything in the playoffs (and no, I don't count Getzlaf/Perry's 2007 Cup win a reflection of the team's playoff success). Boudreau has a history of great regular seasons and bad playoffs.

As for +/-, I just think it's an interesting disparity between our top 6 and bottom 6. Not to say that our bottom six has under-performed, but our top 6 has been pretty dominant statistically.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The PK was rough after Seids went down. We were also coping with some other injuries then as well. The PK just wasn't tight and guys were getting out of position too much and simply were not tight enough on the PK. As players have gotten healthier and the young guys have gotten more experience the PK has tightened up and looked miles better than it did during that ugly stretch following the injury to Seids. The PK will be just fine by the time the playoffs roll around. Players will be more focused and be more acclimated to the system. If we can add that veteran D-man Chia says he's looking for, then that will make things even better.

This team is in better shape than last year IMO, and we made it to the finals last year. Looch has been finding Iggy all year, and now Iggy has been looking more for Looch as of late. That line has beast potential written all over it. Add the other three lines into the mix and, wow, when the Bs click they are so well-rounded that they are tough to beat.

Mr. Make-Believe

The PK was rough after Seids went down. We were also coping with some other injuries then as well. The PK just wasn't tight and guys were getting out of position too much and simply were not tight enough on the PK. As players have gotten healthier and the young guys have gotten more experience the PK has tightened up and looked miles better than it did during that ugly stretch following the injury to Seids. The PK will be just fine by the time the playoffs roll around. Players will be more focused and be more acclimated to the system. If we can add that veteran D-man Chia says he's looking for, then that will make things even better.

This team is in better shape than last year IMO, and we made it to the finals last year. Looch has been finding Iggy all year, and now Iggy has been looking more for Looch as of late. That line has beast potential written all over it. Add the other three lines into the mix and, wow, when the Bs click they are so well-rounded that they are tough to beat.

I said before the season started, that I felt this was the best group of forwards that I think I've ever seen assembled since I became a Bruins fan in the late 80's.

That was before Smith proved to be worthy of a top-six role and before Soderberg showed how he can really shine (at center ice). And you know what? I still think there's room for improvement. Eriksson has yet to show what he can really do and the fourth line has been curiously sluggish at times.

I think the Bruins as constructed are the best team in the East... But I don't think they seriously contend for the Cup until a change or two is made on the blueline. We require more veteran presence for the back end.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Great recap and well said Jean! Let's not have a short memory and think back to what so much of the 90's and early 2000's were like for our Bruins. Enjoy the ride for sure!

Great first half Bruins!

Yes, it is. Good times.

The PP is actually better than 8th - it's tied for 5th:

PIT 25.4
TOR 22.2
CHI 22.1
STL 21.7
WAS 21.7
NAS 20.4
PHO 20.4
BOS 20.4

Also, we're 30th in PP opportunities, with 167. :sarcasm:

member 96824

How is that an excuse?

I will never not be amazed by this board's insistence at making a move just because, and the stubborn refusal to believe that trades don't happen in a vacuum. And what's even funnier is that this board would completely implode if someone like Spooner was traded away in a GFIN move.

Oh, Bruins board, never change. :help: :laugh:

Jump down from your high horse and read the whole post guy.

I would rather pay a "high price" and fill a hole that's needed than ignore the hole and struggle because of it. We have a small cup window, wasting a year of that is a much higher price to pay than giving up a decent prospect who may turn out to be something someday.

It's not trade Spooner or trade no one, you're a fool if you think that's the only chip we have to play with.

Now, instead of just complaining about the board...maybe consider making a contribution to the conversation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad