Statistically splicing Myers, Hamonic, and Bogosian

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wrote stuff:
The New York Islanders are looking to trade Travis Hamonic for another big minutes defender. It appears that the Islanders are targeting Jacob Trouba or Tyler Myers, but the Jets are reluctant to pull the trigger.

We recently opined that the Jets should make the swap between Myers and Hamonic if at all possible.

It is rare though to see a big contract defender like Myers get swapped a year within being acquired by a team. It was not long ago the Jets made an exchange leading to Myers picking up Zach Bogosian's former place on the roster.

With Myers already playing 48 games for the Jets, I thought this would be a good opportunity to compare Myers to Hamonic and Bogosian in terms of their on-ice results over the past two seasons.
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/11/20/by-...-tyler-myers-travis-hamonic-and-zach-bogosian

* Bonus: there's numbers for Byfuglien and Trouba

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think Hamonic would fit the character of the team a little more than Myers does.

Myers + 3rd round pick or equivalent prospect for Hamonic.

Fits both teams needs, while NOT trading trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was originally because I noticed Myers got to about Bogosians previous years games played.

It is the major bulk to Marcel's though for shot metrics.

Understood.

But what if you look at 2012/13 and 2013/14, comparing Myers and Hamonic? I'd be a bit reluctant to base a big decision like this on a relatively short portion of their respective careers, especially considering the changes that Myers has gone through last year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great article Garret. I shared it with the Isles board and hope you don't mind.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Understood.

But what if you look at 2012/13 and 2013/14, comparing Myers and Hamonic? I'd be a bit reluctant to base a big decision like this on a relatively short portion of their respective careers, especially considering the changes that Myers has gone through last year.

If anything, the shorter span makes Myers look relatively better.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If anything, the shorter span makes Myers look relatively better.

:huh:

I know you're looking at a wider set of parameters, but according to WOI since 2010/11 the 5v5 RelCF% is pretty similar between the two (-0.17 for Hamonic vs. -0.57 for Myers). Myers started more in his own zone. Competition and teammates don't look that different.

What am I missing?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm leaning more and more towards Myers and a B prospect for Hamonic swap if possible.

Myers + 3rd round pick or equivalent prospect for Hamonic.

Yep, I'm pretty sure this is the general consensus and makes sense. I think it's almost impossible Jets trade Trouba but while I would be reluctant to part with Myers, Hamonic is similar and would be a good addition for Myers + mid pick/prospect.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
:huh:

I know you're looking at a wider set of parameters, but according to WOI since 2010/11 the 5v5 RelCF% is pretty similar between the two (-0.17 for Hamonic vs. -0.57 for Myers). Myers started more in his own zone. Competition and teammates don't look that different.

What am I missing?

Easier to be a better player relative to everyone else on Buffalo than it is on Jets.
That's what you are missing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad