Statement from Alex Meruelo

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Finally. Been dying to hear from him.

I'm with many of y'all - just get a shovel in the ground.

That said, this statement is exactly what I needed to hear from him.

My grandma helped raise me, and this had a very similar tenor to the pep talks she would give me when shit got hard. Nothing worthwhile in life comes cheap or comes easy.

We believe, Mr. Meruelo. Make it happen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Meruelo. It’s not his fault Chayka was a snake and Tempe voters are idiots.
I hope to get to a place mentally where I can think this way. Don’t think I can get there until full blown excavations begin in earnest. Not just grubbed and cleared; I’m talking full blown grading.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I 100% understand that you guys want your own building. It's nice to have somewhere to call home without the nervousness of relocation rumors. We had to go through the rumors before Dundon bought our team. It sucked a lot. I'm praying for a permanent arena for you sooner than later. It's cool to see your owner is dedicated to getting this done.

What's it like at the current arena? I know there have been lots of jokes made at your expense but in a way it seems like what I imagine Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke's basketball court, bleh dookies) would be like if it was a hockey arena with all the pressure of the fans right on top of you. That seems more like an advantage than not.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I 100% understand that you guys want your own building. It's nice to have somewhere to call home without the nervousness of relocation rumors. We had to go through the rumors before Dundon bought our team. It sucked a lot. I'm praying for a permanent arena for you sooner than later. It's cool to see your owner is dedicated to getting this done.

What's it like at the current arena? I know there have been lots of jokes made at your expense but in a way it seems like what I imagine Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke's basketball court, bleh dookies) would be like if it was a hockey arena with all the pressure of the fans right on top of you. That seems more like an advantage than not.
The current arena is awesome. A great building. It’s said it had some of the best ice in the league and the dressing rooms and common areas for players are universally praised. They all comment on the outdoor areas as a big highlight. The location is amazing. And the environment is great. Small barn, big noise.

They just can’t make any money there. But it’s a great experience.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

I went to three games last season. I liked it so much I wanted to just keep it. 😂

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Not gonna lie I was scared to open it
Nice statement, means nothing though. I’ll admit it was nice the AM signed it. Hopefully it means XG will be shown the door…. That there will be a meaningful statement, only outdone by shovels in the ground. Proving once again that actions speak louder than words!

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Thank Mat Ishbia for this. He’s setting the tone for how to be an owner in this market. You need to be up front
Excellent point! The quality of Arizona professional sports team owners has been abysmal before Ishbia and hopefully Meruelo. Mat raised the bar…he’s Colangelo. Hopefully AM is also.

Yotes2000

Jan 13, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Excellent point! The quality of Arizona professional sports team owners has been abysmal before Ishbia and hopefully Meruelo. Mat raised the bar…he’s Colangelo. Hopefully AM is also.
The one thing I can say, is that AM is willing to learn to become that. This is a good start as was the interview recently with Craig Morgan

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting that Meruelo has spoken twice now in the soon to be post Rich Nairn era. Perhaps he was advised previously to not speak publicly. Maybe that is changing now.

Reactions: Prarievarg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Interesting that Meruelo has spoken twice now in the soon to be post Rich Nairn era. Perhaps he was advised previously to not speak publicly. Maybe that is changing now.

Rich Nairn is still with the Coyotes until the end of ths month.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I don't think that's the case - if anything, Nairn would be desperate for Meruelo to be more communicative, even if it was only with the fanbase. I think that what's happening is that Gutierrez and possibly folks in the league are gently suggesting to Meruelo to pay more personal attention to this and reminding him that, even though he has proxies doing the actual work, he's still considered the guy in charge by the consumers he's courting.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think that's the case - if anything, Nairn would be desperate for Meruelo to be more communicative, even if it was only with the fanbase. I think that what's happening is that Gutierrez and possibly folks in the league are gently suggesting to Meruelo to pay more personal attention to this and reminding him that, even though he has proxies doing the actual work, he's still considered the guy in charge by the consumers he's courting.

I’m not sure he would want him to be more communicative. Remember the press release after Chayka walked? It read like Trump wrote it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4