Speculation: Stastny

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
In comments about trades that could have gone down during draft weekend, Pierre LeBrun put out this little nugget about the one other FA we've been talking about:

AVS TO TALK TO STASTNY
Agent Matt Keator was a popular man this week in Philadelphia, courted by half the teams in the league on the subject of his client and pending UFA center Paul Stastny.

It’s clear Colorado will need to boost its last offer to Stastny (believed to be a number that starts with 5) in order to retain his services.

"We’re going to continue talking, I’m going to talk to him probably tomorrow," Avs executive Joe Sakic said Saturday. "We’ll see where we’re at."

Stastny dearly wants to stay in Denver. But he’s going to get offered more money elsewhere, so he will have to balance those two thoughts.

"That’s what you get when you’re an UFA, the ultimate decision is Paul’s," Sakic said. "I’m sure there’s lots of teams that have interest, where they’re going to go financially, I don’t know, but I know what we can do. Hopefully it will work out, but we’ll see."

Curiouser and curiouser...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So under the unlikely scenario that he does actually sign with us, we'll be taking on the Avs' version of Ryan Suter...that will be an interesting change.

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
Sounds like he will end up back on Colorado. Just using other teams to drive up the price as much as possible.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Sounds like he will end up back on Colorado. Just using other teams to drive up the price as much as possible.

I am not sure that is what he is doing really. I think the Avs just came with an offer that was less than he thought is reasonable and if they are uder 6m he is right. It is nothing like Suter though. We offered the same contract he got from the wild and he still left. If the Avs up their offer to come close to matching what he is offered on the first he would stay but that doesn't look like an option for the Avs.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I am not sure that is what he is doing really. I think the Avs just came with an offer that was less than he thought is reasonable and if they are uder 6m he is right. It is nothing like Suter though. We offered the same contract he got from the wild and he still left. If the Avs up their offer to come close to matching what he is offered on the first he would stay but that doesn't look like an option for the Avs.

Minny offered him about $8M more, if I remember correctly, which was a pittance on the amount of that contract, but it ultimately had nothing to do with not staying with us anyway. I was speaking more of the platitudes as far as wanting to stay in Colorado and such.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
In the end Colorado will do what they must to keep him unless there is an absured offer out there. They have roughly 20 mil in cap with 18 players under contract. They need to sign ROR and Stastny. Both are seeking Bank and Term, they have only 5 defensemen on the big roster as well. SO its hard to think they tryed to lowball him. They have a max amount they can spend on him and ROR and still address there needs to go deeper in the playoffs and to budget for players down the road. Sakic is pretty savvy in the way he is handling this. They are not going to do the craziness like Philly does every year or castrat themselves like Chicago has at the top of the cap and have little ability to make a move to help the team.

All one can go by is what he has said he will give Colorado the last right and he will make his decision then. There will be a team offer him 7 or 7.5 mil then it will be his decision take the money or give the hometown discount to Colorado that he said he would to re-sign there.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
They also have to think long term with Mack having to be signed in the near future. They can't match if it gets to high and I think it will.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So under the unlikely scenario that he does actually sign with us, we'll be taking on the Avs' version of Ryan Suter...that will be an interesting change.

I don't think that you can make a comparison to Suter. Poile was willing to match any offer that Suter received from other teams, but Suter had no intention of re-signing here, even if Nashville ponied up the cash.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
In the end Colorado will do what they must to keep him unless there is an absured offer out there. They have roughly 20 mil in cap with 18 players under contract. They need to sign ROR and Stastny. Both are seeking Bank and Term, they have only 5 defensemen on the big roster as well. SO its hard to think they tryed to lowball him. They have a max amount they can spend on him and ROR and still address there needs to go deeper in the playoffs and to budget for players down the road. Sakic is pretty savvy in the way he is handling this. They are not going to do the craziness like Philly does every year or castrat themselves like Chicago has at the top of the cap and have little ability to make a move to help the team.

All one can go by is what he has said he will give Colorado the last right and he will make his decision then. There will be a team offer him 7 or 7.5 mil then it will be his decision take the money or give the hometown discount to Colorado that he said he would to re-sign there.

this is how I see it playing out. i could see Poile offering 7x7.5 or even 8. yes, thats overpaying but if you want a player sometimes you have to just do it. Will then be up to Stastny to decide if its worth giving up 12-14 million or more in lifetime earnings to stay in Colorado.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think thats how everyone in the league sees it right now. Whether its us or someone else, someone is going to offer him 7.5-8 million. He then has to decide just how bad he wants to be in Colorado.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
He's not coming here. He's going to have big offers from at least 5 teams and I doubt we're the one he picks.

I'd say like a 2% chance.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It's going to take seven years at a huge amount of money to sign the guy. If we could bring him in for seven and a half I'd be surprised.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
what was the point of this thread? we all knew this info and that he would continue talking to the avs and that we were a long shot to sign him

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I know the Staal stuff was just a rumor that was created by some radio guys, but if there is a possibility that Poile inquired about him, I wouldn't mind if we offered Stastny that kind of money. Not many teams would be willing to put that much out there, so that would hopefully make him think.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I wonder if his relationship with laviolette and poile will help persuade him to come to Nashville. He also knows he had a ton of chemistry with Craig smith.

We also have Seth jones who will most likely be a long time member of team USA Olympic/International teams for years to come

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think stastny is worth 7-8 million personally, but still would not be upset if we signed him at that, you gotta overpay for free agents.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think stastny is worth 7-8 million personally, but still would not be upset if we signed him at that, you gotta overpay for free agents.

Oh I'm not sure anyone thinks he is worth that, but I think its probably the only chance you have to get him away from Colorado. For 6 mil, he might as well just stay in Colorado.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I would be fine if Poile offered up to 8x7 for Statsny. It's the only way we'll land him and if Fish retires like we expect him to next season thats another 4.2 million coming off the books(and the cap will probably rise a little as well). We'll have to sign borque, wilson, smith and jarnkrork (and potentially cullen if we want to resign him by then)15-16 though if they are all still on the team by the trade deadline but as of now, Smith is the only one that will get a significant pay raise.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I would be fine if Poile offered up to 8x7 for Statsny. It's the only way we'll land him and if Fish retires like we expect him to next season thats another 4.2 million coming off the books(and the cap will probably rise a little as well). We'll have to sign borque, wilson, smith and jarnkrork (and potentially cullen if we want to resign him by then)15-16 though if they are all still on the team by the trade deadline but as of now, Smith is the only one that will get a significant pay raise.

Unless Wilson steps it up majorly this year.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
My final thoughts on him. If CO won't up their offer and he does indeed sign with another team Tuesday, I think Nashville offers the following items to entice him here:

-Poile sounds like he is going to do what it takes to get that Center for Neal. I think, or rather hope, that means he will be offered good salary and term here.

-Decent Cost of Living and no state sales tax will help him keep more of his new salary.

-The idea of being the top center here, along with Neal and Smith. He knows Smith and has played with him, and Neal is a legit top 6 forward.

-Rinne (hopefully healthy) and Weber.

-To play in the Central and face CO many a time every season...some players really like sticking it to the team that wouldn't give what the player thinks is his worth. In this case CO has the room, it's just if they think he is worth the money he will get on the open market.

-Begging to differ with Mr. Avery, Nashville is a pretty damn cool town. ;)

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Unless Wilson steps it up majorly this year.

Yes, thats why I qualified it with "but as of now" that you failed to bold right before it. Even if wilson lights it up and puts up 50-55 points I don't see him getting more than a 4 million dollar contract which we would have space to give him.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yes, thats why I qualified it with "but as of now" that you failed to bold right before it. Even if wilson lights it up and puts up 50-55 points I don't see him getting more than a 4 million dollar contract which we would have space to give him.

I missed that somehow. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad