Value of: Stastny to Colorado

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Winnipeg has won so many transactions it’s ridiculous. Really has helped them win.. two playoff series in 8 years. LOL.
two series in 20 seasons as the jets/thrashers franchise and one divisional banner in'07 (the last divisional banner won by a non-capitals team in the weak southeast division until 2012; also happened to be the last season the capitals sucked)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Close call.

Two things in favour of doing such a move would be:

1) We can readily replace Compher by resigning Namestnikov and/or promoting Kaut.

Landeskog ----- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ------ Kadri --------- Donskoi
Nichuskin ------- Stastny ------- Namestnikov
Calvert --------- Bellemare ------ Kaut/Jost​

2) Signing Stastny may not necessarily just be a 1 year deal. If we acquired Stastny and he moves back to Colorado there's probably a good chance that we could resign him in 2021 to a 35+ contract worth ~$800k AAV (and full of performance bonuses that don't count against the $81.5m cap).

With Stastny our center depth would be so strong, and he'd be perfect to insulate Newhook and Bowers in the first year or two:
  • 2020/21: Mackinnon / Kadri / Stastny / Bellemare
  • 2021/22: Mackinnon / Kadri / Newhook / Stastny (resigned @ $800k aav + bonuses)
  • 2022/23: Mackinnon / Newhook / Bowers / Stastny
Note that in 2022/23 the 4 centers would cost just ~$9m aav (i.e. $6.3m + 2 ELC's + $800K 35+ bonus contract), which would allow us to seriously load up elsewhere in the lineup before Mackinnon and Byram's 2023 renewals.

This is my thinking too.

Normally I hate trading young players for old players, but Namestnikov and Kaut make it possible.

Seems like it could be a good move for both teams actually. Especially with Compher’s position versatility and the young centres VGK has on the rise.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm open to moving him to free up some cap space. We talked last season about using him to free up room for Gusev.

From Colorado, I'd probably be interested in getting Bellemare back, I thought it was foolish to let him go, especially to keep Cody Eakin and that sort of showed itself to be true so far this season. Although we do we have a bit of a glut of bottom 6 C's at the moment, but Stephenson did have success seemingly regardless of where he was in the line-up, so rotating him and Glass through the 2 and 3 spots could work.

Also there would be the added bonus that Bellemare wouldn't be able to score against in the first minute of the game, so we might have some time to play before the game was over :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bellemare’s been a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t expecting him to play so well for us.

Good on faceoffs and a little more offensive touch than I anticipated.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What about Compher for Stastny straight up?

Pauly is better right now, but Compher is cost controlled for 3 years and much younger.

At first that seemed bad to me. JT is a very good player and has shown dominance over bottom six forwards. But the Avs probably lose him to Seattle so may as well get something for him this off season. What I don't know is how far Stastny has fallen. Don't watch him much but the stats are not impressive. Is he better than JT? He'd have to be at least a push for this deal to many any sense.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
At first that seemed bad to me. JT is a very good player and has shown dominance over bottom six forwards. But the Avs probably lose him to Seattle so may as well get something for him this off season. What I don't know is how far Stastny has fallen. Don't watch him much but the stats are not impressive. Is he better than JT? He'd have to be at least a push for this deal to many any sense.

I didn’t see him a lot this year, but he’d probably be a more natural 3C than Compher.

It would certainly be a gamble given Stastny’s age.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I didn’t see him a lot this year, but he’d probably be a more natural 3C than Compher.

It would certainly be a gamble given Stastny’s age.
At first glance I thought that Compher for Stastny would be an overpayment, but it does have some reasons for why it would make sense. Asset management for one, as we would resign Namestnikov instead of letting him walk for free and use Compher to get a player; and then the fact that we could resign Stastny and have a good cap hit as 4C going forwards.

Stastny wouldn't necessarily have to be better than Compher per se, just present more value (which he certainly would if we resigned him at $800k in 2021). Namestnikov would be the one who would need to at least match Compher, not Stastny.

For reference hare are capfriendly rosters with this trade to see how things would play out:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Except Stastny already has history with the Avs and is a better player than Bozak. a 34 year old Stastny is most likely an upgrade over Jost, Bozak isn't.

Bozak wouldn’t cost a dime and he is better than what you already have at 3C. Blues nay even add a sweetener.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
With the cap staying flat, they might as well keep Stastny another year to see what they have in Glass/Roy (Krebs isn't close to being ready for a top 6 role, the kid just came back to play 3 months of junior).

Unless you want to give Bellemare back...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bozak wouldn’t cost a dime and he is better than what you already have at 3C. Blues nay even add a sweetener.

Losing or gaining a 2nd/3rd doesn't matter to us anymore which is the difference between Bozak + Stastny, and again Stastny is better than Bozak.

Reactions: Richard88

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
With the cap staying flat, they might as well keep Stastny another year to see what they have in Glass/Roy (Krebs isn't close to being ready for a top 6 role, the kid just came back to play 3 months of junior).

Unless you want to give Bellemare back...
I agree.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would have made sense before the Avs acquired Kadri. Stastny was a UFA and everyone talked about him going back to Colorado and Sakic never even made him an offer. Don’t think Sakic has any intention on trading assets for him now that he’s older and slower than ever.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Losing or gaining a 2nd/3rd doesn't matter to us anymore which is the difference between Bozak + Stastny, and again Stastny is better than Bozak.

Vegas is in compete mode and the Avs are a division competitor. They won’t trade Stastny to the Avs. Highly unlikely. They hold onto Paul and compete.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
How about a 3 way with STL sending Bozak at 500K retained. Vegas saves 2M in cap by going from Stastny to Bozak. Blues save around 3.5M in cap with 4.5M of Bozak moving out and a younger guy stepping in.

What picks would make this work?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How about a 3 way with STL sending Bozak at 500K retained. Vegas saves 2M in cap by going from Stastny to Bozak. Blues save around 3.5M in cap with 4.5M of Bozak moving out and a younger guy stepping in.

What picks would make this work?

LOL why does Vegas downgrade like that? They are in compete mode and their window is now. Downgrading is the opposite of what they should be doing. This only helps the Blues shed salary which is another reason they don’t do it.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Obviously there is a lot of IF, but if it happens I would be so happy. When I was a young avs fan I had pictures of Stastny all over my room and he was my favorite player by far. Having him back would be wonderful.

Hockey wise he would also make a lot of sens for the third line. Doesn't make sens for vegas if they don't think Glass is ready.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
LOL why does Vegas downgrade like that? They are in compete mode and their window is now. Downgrading is the opposite of what they should be doing. This only helps the Blues shed salary which is another reason they don’t do it.
Moving Stastny would facilitate their ability to resign Lehner, which would arguably be the more "competitive" thing to do given how Stasnty is declining.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Moving Stastny would facilitate their ability to resign Lehner, which would arguably be the more "competitive" thing to do given how Stasnty is declining.

They have Fleury. The don’t need to pay 4M for a backup when they have their starter who costs 7M aav.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Except Stastny already has history with the Avs and is a better player than Bozak. a 34 year old Stastny is most likely an upgrade over Jost, Bozak isn't.
bozak is much better than jost. it's not hard to be better than jost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad