Starting Six: Montreal Canadiens All-Time Lineup

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Dryden's .921 in an era when .900 was hard to attain stands out from the crowd.

He was also a big game guy and could stun teams in their building. Game 7 vs Boston and game 7 against Chicago, both in 1971, Game 6 in Moscow in 1972, Game 6 in Chicago in 1973, Game 3 in Philadelphia in 1976, Game 6 on Long Island in 1977 - these were all games in which he made multiple miraculous saves and changed the momentum of the game and series. He won six Stanley Cups in 8 seasons, plus the Summit Series against the USSR.

Dryden's consistency gives him the edge over Roy, who had years where he was badly outplayed in the playoffs. Roy also had only the 6th highest save percentage in the league over his final 4 regular seasons in Montreal, not consistently great enough to beat out Dryden. Plante, too, had some down years.

The minute Dryden came up to the NHL, he single-handedly transformed the Montreal Canadiens from a 90 point team to the greatest underdog Cup winner of all-time. He posted a 1.65 GAA in six regular season games, beat out Hall of Famer Rogie Vachon for the starting job in the playoffs, then won the Conn Smythe BEFORE winning the Calder the next year. That Conn Smythe Trophy was the most obvious in the history of the game. To beat the Bruins, who had just posted the best regular season in history, with Bobby Orr on D, and 152 point scorer Ohil Esposito up front, and three weeks later the Blackhawks with HOFer Tony Esposito in nets and Bobby Hull leading the forwards, was INCREDIBLE. Besides stealing the Summit Series with his Game 6 performance, as Canada played shorthanded for almost half the game, Dryden still won 5 MORE CUPS as the Habs stayed at the top of the league that decade. It's no coincidence that the Habs Cup streak ended in 1979 with the retirement of Ken Dryden. He made that much of a difference.

Great post. You know your history. Thanks !

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I agree with the people who suggest Roy. Dryden played on much better teams and had a shorter career.

I must admit that imo, the most prestigious trophy in hockey is the Conn Smythe. It implies that you were the best player, on one of the two best teams in the most important tournament in pro hockey. A lot of people are cautious about playoff success and say it's a small sample size. What we do know is the guy won the Smythe with 3 almost entirely different rosters. Even if we only consider his time with the Habs, the clutch factor in the most crucial games cant be ignored. For me it's pretty simple : if you had to ice any former Canadiens goalie for a SCF game 7 OT, who would he be? For me the answer is crystal clear.

Dryden is absolutely legendary and Im actually feeling bad arguing against him, which would be wrong in the vast majority of debates. Maybe he edges out Roy for overall career but even then. But going by the perspective of the best in terms of pure ability to play the position, I have to go with Patrick on this one. Who would you want in net if you had Gretzky breaking away in your zone, readying for a move? Come on now, give me the guy who actually outplayed and beat the greatest player of all-time in the finals.

Billy Smith

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Habs all-time could probly ice a 3rd line better or comparable to most other team's top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad