Line Combos: Starting goalie

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Asking for fantasy hockey, who looks to be the starter going in to the season ?

Too soon to tell, TBH. If your draft is after the World's I'd ask that question then.

Without much else to go on except a gut feeling, today, I think it will be Thomas Greiss. If Halak isn't traded during camp and barring any injuries I'd say the Isles will have a 1-1A goalie situation just like last season.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
If both are healthy when the season starts, my guess is Halak gets the first game.

1) He's the better goaltender
2) His record against Lundqvist is ridiculous
3) Starting him over Greiss would cause less of a controversy right out of the gate

After about 15 games there should be a clear cut starter.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i would love to be a GM, but i think i would overthink, and drive myself crazy.

assuming that Sorokin wants to come over in a few years... 2018-2019.

keep it as is until Greiss can be signed. it is not a 3-headed rotation, as someone mentioned earlier, with Berube mostly sitting in the pressbox. they are holding onto Berube as insurance, if they can not sign Greiss to a reasonable extension. assure Halak that he is starter. he has earned a few years of being the top dog.

i'd offer Greiss 4 years @ $3 mil per. if he accepts, try to trade Berube. we will have 7.5 spent on goalies for the next two years, and have one of the best overall tandems in the league. in two years, Halak leaves (or gets traded) and Sorokin steps in. Greiss will have 2 years left, and Sorokin will have this time to adjust.

if Greiss rejects the offer, give Halak the bulk of starts, and let Berube try and prove himself as back up. if he does well, offer him a bridge contract. 3 years @ 1.5 per. if he sucks, go with Greiss and send Berube down/trade. worry about a backup after the FA signing period starts.

i don't know. i think we are in an enviable situation, as long as Halak will be ok with two guys looking over his shoulder for this year.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
i think we are in an enviable situation, as long as Halak will be ok with two guys looking over his shoulder for this year.

thats what did in andrew raycroft. that guy had ability coming out of his ears man. but he was very weak mentally. as soon as he felt any pressure, ( as in losing his starters job, not game pressure, he was ok with that. ) he would panic, try to do too much and he would end up screwing everything up.

some people perform better when they think their job is on the line and some cant handle it. heres too hoping slava can handle it.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
i would love to be a GM, but i think i would overthink, and drive myself crazy.

assuming that Sorokin wants to come over in a few years... 2018-2019.

keep it as is until Greiss can be signed. it is not a 3-headed rotation, as someone mentioned earlier, with Berube mostly sitting in the pressbox. they are holding onto Berube as insurance, if they can not sign Greiss to a reasonable extension. assure Halak that he is starter. he has earned a few years of being the top dog.

i'd offer Greiss 4 years @ $3 mil per. if he accepts, try to trade Berube. we will have 7.5 spent on goalies for the next two years, and have one of the best overall tandems in the league. in two years, Halak leaves (or gets traded) and Sorokin steps in. Greiss will have 2 years left, and Sorokin will have this time to adjust.

if Greiss rejects the offer, give Halak the bulk of starts, and let Berube try and prove himself as back up. if he does well, offer him a bridge contract. 3 years @ 1.5 per. if he sucks, go with Greiss and send Berube down/trade. worry about a backup after the FA signing period starts.

i don't know. i think we are in an enviable situation, as long as Halak will be ok with two guys looking over his shoulder for this year.

Vegas expansion is key component of this that you didn't address.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Vegas expansion is key component of this that you didn't address.

didn't discuss it, no, but if either Greiss or Halak gets claimed, we still have Berube for backup. he is ours for a few years, as he is only 25.

if Greiss does not replicate his good year, he goes to UFA, and we protect Halak. i doubt Berube gets claimed. even if Berube rips it up this year, i can't see Snow protecting him.

i guess i am all for keeping Berube another year as insurance. some people want to ship him out as his presence might upset Halak. i wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
didn't discuss it, no, but if either Greiss or Halak gets claimed, we still have Berube for backup. he is ours for a few years, as he is only 25.

if Greiss does not replicate his good year, he goes to UFA, and we protect Halak. i doubt Berube gets claimed. even if Berube rips it up this year, i can't see Snow protecting him.

i guess i am all for keeping Berube another year as insurance. some people want to ship him out as his presence might upset Halak. i wouldn't worry about it.

Well if isles attempt to slide Berube through waivers, he gets claimed, then they have to decide on protecting halal or Greiss - assuming the Isles extend Greiss.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Halak has carried Team Europe into the semifinals of the world cup. He is clearly back to full health and if he is not the Isles starter on opening night (or god forbid they trade him), this team is the stupidest team of all time. Halak is a better goalie than Greiss when both are at their best, there is no question.

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
There's no question in my mind our best chance at a successful 100 point season is (assuming solid health) a Halak/Greiss tandem. I had considered the idea a trade of Halak to free up cap room might be worth it but I doubt you'll get anything back that would improve the roster with the goalie market. With Grabs looking like he's not going to play we could use that for cap relief if a trade is advantageous, right?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
For the same reasons the Strome contract came at us quietly out of nowhere like a 7 layer fart in church, so to will Halak get moved in the week leading up to the start of the season.

Something has to give and he is the most obvious choice, particularly after a strong showing at Worlds. I know the argument is there to say he played himself back on the team, but it was never about how good he can be. That is undebateable. It has always been about injuries, warm up time, and his cost vs others. World's play for him has changed none of that. If anything it makes him more valuable in trade.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For the same reasons the Strome contract came at us quietly out of nowhere like a 7 layer fart in church, so to will Halak get moved in the week leading up to the start of the season.

Something has to give and he is the most obvious choice, particularly after a strong showing at Worlds. I know the argument is there to say he played himself back on the team, but it was never about how good he can be. That is undebateable. It has always been about injuries, warm up time, and his cost vs others. World's play for him has changed none of that.

I would agree if the Isles were in a rebuilding mode, but they're not. This team really should be thinking about winning now. By trading Halak before the start of the season and giving Greiss his first starting job in a 9 year NHL career and making Berube a number two with 9 NHL starts under his belt, that would be weakening what is currently a position of strength.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Halak has carried Team Europe into the semifinals of the world cup. He is clearly back to full health and if he is not the Isles starter on opening night (or god forbid they trade him), this team is the stupidest team of all time. Halak is a better goalie than Greiss when both are at their best, there is no question.

Halak the better goalie, however his injuries are an issue. Moreover, Greiss won the Isles a playoff round, Halak didn't.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Something has to give and he is the most obvious choice, particularly after a strong showing at Worlds. I know the argument is there to say he played himself back on the team, but it was never about how good he can be. That is undebateable. It has always been about injuries, warm up time, and his cost vs others. World's play for him has changed none of that. If anything it makes him more valuable in trade.

Which teams still need goaltending that 1]have the cap space to add Halak or 2]don't require the Islanders to take back the exact same salary in return (ie. Dallas)?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Halak just played 3 games in 5 nights. He never played this workload last season. So far so good but his 6 games till now are not enough to be sure. The only sure thing is Snow is Snow.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I just don't get why the fans are all annoyed over some possible trading of Halak.

Absent his run with MON, a zillion years ago, he hasn't done jack in the playoffs. The PHI blunder costing the Isles the better matchup? Game 5 vs the Caps where he got shelled, putting Isles down 3-2?

He's not some golden goalie that the Isles desperately need to be relevant and contend.

And Snow being Snow? The guy claimed a Calder cup winning goalie off waivers as 'insurance' against injury and the Isles lack of goaltending depth, which turned out to be a pretty darn smart move when Halak went down.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I just don't get why the fans are all annoyed over some possible trading of Halak.

Absent his run with MON, a zillion years ago, he hasn't done jack in the playoffs. The PHI blunder costing the Isles the better matchup? Game 5 vs the Caps where he got shelled, putting Isles down 3-2?

He's not some golden goalie that the Isles desperately need to be relevant and contend.

And Snow being Snow? The guy claimed a Calder cup winning goalie off waivers as 'insurance' against injury and the Isles lack of goaltending depth, which turned out to be a pretty darn smart move when Halak went down.

Thomas Greiss won ONE ROUND in the post season. ONE ROUND. That's nothing to write home about either. Why is Greiss' one round won any better than Halak's one round won?

8 year career backup goalies are backups for a reason.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Thomas Greiss won ONE ROUND in the post season. ONE ROUND. That's nothing to write home about either. Why is Greiss' one round won any better than Halak's one round won?

8 year career backup goalies are backups for a reason.

It's nothing to write home about, but Halak hasn't won ANYTHING with the Isles yet, there's some sort of belief he is some superior being...

I'm not saying anything pro-Greiss beyond he actually stepped up as the backup and performed in the playoffs - he gets respect for that. No idea whether that's a flash in the pan or something more.

But the OMG the Isles can't win without Halak is already proven wrong.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I like Halak a lot. He's looked fantastic at the WCOH. That being said, it doesn't matter that I like him. It's really up to Snow, and what HE thinks. If he gets an amazing offer for Halak, and HE feels it wouldn't hurt the team, then he's gonna pull the trigger. Unless Berube stinks up the ice during the upcoming preseason games, I don't think he's going anywhere. And Greiss proved himself, it wasn't just the series win, he was excellent all season long and proved he can be a starter in this league.

Something's gotta give, I can't see them carrying 3 goalies all season. And I don't think they'll expose Berube to waivers.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
i think trading halak would be a mistake right now.

berube has a whopping 7 games of NHL experience. thats not enough ( in my eyes at least ) to make halak expendable.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Halak hasn't won ANYTHING with the Isles yet

halak set the franchise "wins by a goalie" record with 38. that smashed the record of 32 held by the "immortal" billy smith. and the 1981-82 islanders that smith had playing in front of him were a hell of a lot better than what slava has playing in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad