Starting a team: Morgan Rielly vs Charlie McAvoy

Rielly or McAvoy

• Total voters

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I'd take Rielly seeing how he's improved and is a top 20D but if McAvoy keeps on his trajectory could very well be him good poll

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rielly easily. Can't see McAvoy ever being on his level.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Really good one here.

Condisering it's for the next 10 years and not the next 2 or 3 I went with McAvoy.
I think Rielly is great and will continue to get better. But I think McAvoy can be even better if he hit his ceiling.
I do like the Dought, Keith comparison. Hardware excluded of course.

One other thing, in regard to the Norris discussion; it seems there's a it's his turn thing that's been going on. And, it's probably Gio's turn. Not to say he doesn't deserve it. He does.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Let's cross our fingers and hope so. I'm sure you wouldn't like the outcome on HFboards if a Leaf wins the Norris.

Wouldn't it be the curse of the Leafs, if Reilly wins the Norris, Andersen the Vezina, Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Andersen all finish in the top ten in the Hart, and Leafs lose in the first round.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't it be the curse of the Leafs, if Reilly wins the Norris, Andersen the Vezina, Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Andersen all finish in the top ten in the Hart, and Leafs lose in the first round.
Yup, and the posters on the main boards of HFboards skip merrily down that yellow brick road.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Honestly, the Bruins abuse Rielly so much it's hard to not choose Mcavoy. Rielly's a legit number one guy but Pastrnak plays with him like a cat with a ball of yarn. Very overrated defensively but the kid can skate like the wind and moves the puck very well. If Mcavoy can play like he has returning from his concussion it's him and it's not very close.

Reactions: Rydan

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Honestly, the Bruins abuse Rielly so much it's hard to not choose Mcavoy. Rielly's a legit number one guy but Pastrnak plays with him like a cat with a ball of yarn. Very overrated defensively but the kid can skate like the wind and moves the puck very well. If Mcavoy can play like he has returning from his concussion it's him and it's not very close.

That has a ton to do with him covering up for Hainsey and you know it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Really good one here.

Condisering it's for the next 10 years and not the next 2 or 3 I went with McAvoy.
I think Rielly is great and will continue to get better. But I think McAvoy can be even better if he hit his ceiling.
I do like the Dought, Keith comparison. Hardware excluded of course.

One other thing, in regard to the Norris discussion; it seems there's a it's his turn thing that's been going on. And, it's probably Gio's turn. Not to say he doesn't deserve it. He does.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of that mentality.

If Rielly deserves the Norris more than Giordano by the end of the season, by all means, give it to him. I don’t think that’s the case right this second, mind you, but that’s a different argument. If he deserves it, he deserves it.

I don’t care if a player has one amazing year, and never accomplishes it again. If that one year puts them ahead of every other defenseman, they should get the Norris over another defenseman who has been a high end player for a long time, but keeps missing out.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Rielly tbh quite easily right now. Rielly has taken that next step, and with McCavoys injuries he might not get to that level.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Rielly tbh quite easily right now. Rielly has taken that next step, and with McCavoys injuries he might not get to that level.

Defensively and physically he is already more than at that level. Are you talking about his one concussion and the corrected heart issue?

The Bruins offense isn't that of the Leafs. McAvoy isn't going to have a chance at point per game.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yeah, I’m not a fan of that mentality.

If Rielly deserves the Norris more than Giordano by the end of the season, by all means, give it to him. I don’t think that’s the case right this second, mind you, but that’s a different argument. If he deserves it, he deserves it.

I don’t care if a player has one amazing year, and never accomplishes it again. If that one year puts them ahead of every other defenseman, they should get the Norris over another defenseman who has been a high end player for a long time, but keeps missing out.
I'm not saying I agree with it.
But you can't deny that it seems like that's what they're doing. It's like they make you earn it over more than just 1 year.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not saying I agree with it.
But you can't deny that it seems like that's what they're doing. It's like they make you earn it over more than just 1 year.

Oh, no. I apologize. I was more elaborating my feelings on what you said. You obviously didn’t agree, and I agree with you that this does seem to be the case recently. It’s not a trend I like.

I don’t care what Rielly was last season, in regards to the Norris. If he deserves to win it when the final game is played, he deserves to win it. I don’t care if his competition has more history and longevity. The award is for this season only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad