Starting a team: Morgan Rielly vs Charlie McAvoy

Rielly or McAvoy

• Total voters

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Do I get either as a rookie or is it as they are now?

Tough choice but I like mcavoy quite a lot so might be him by a hair.

Morgan is a beauty though

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I had doubts that Riely would every live up to the hype - am eating crow on that front.
However, I still go with McAvoy here.

Doubt McAvoy will ever put up the numbers Riely will during his prime - especially on The Leafs whom live by the best defence is a good offence adage - but think McAvoy will have a more balanced game and be significantly better in his own end.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I had doubts that Riely would every live up to the hype - am eating crow on that front.
However, I still go with McAvoy here.

Doubt McAvoy will ever put up the numbers Riely will during his prime - especially on The Leafs whom live by the best defence is a good offence adage - but think McAvoy will have a more balanced game and be significantly better in his own end.

If McAvoy was the only good defensemen on his Team and had an offensive juggernaut team like Toronto has he would absolutely be putting up points like that .

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I was trying to make this not include age or contract. They’re both young, they both have long careers ahead of them, and they’re both going to get paid a lot of money.

I’m basically curious who people think is better, and it looks quite close.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
"Since Rielly was a Leaf last season, and REALLY a Leaf this season, and since he's 3 years older. ...... Rielly"

What everyone read that as
You can't just assume everyone projects their hostility when they read something. A rather bizarre assumption. Not sure what Rielly being a Leaf has to do with him having a good season. It is difficult to deny he had a good season and is currently having one.

Your reaction reads like someone inventing something to whine about to get attention.

In regards to the OP I would lean toward the more proven player but the right shot and 3 years make the other an equally valid option.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’ll go Rielly quote comfortably. The notion that Rielly can’t play in his own zone is completely unwarranted. He’s not Larry Robinson, but he is not only competent, but actually very good in his own zone.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Both good. But I prefer McAvoy. Brings that physical element and is stronger defensively.
Rielly is better offensively.
Really depends on what you need but McAvoy I think is slightly better to build around.
They’d actually be one heck of a pairing!

Reactions: Hugh Mungus

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Damn I made it 118-118.

Voted Rielly. He's not much older, but proven to be a better d-man. Potential for both is sky high.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I’ll go Rielly quote comfortably. The notion that Rielly can’t play in his own zone is completely unwarranted. He’s not Larry Robinson, but he is not only competent, but actually very good in his own zone.
I also don't think people know how strong Rielly is. Pound for pound he is a monster.

6'1 221 pounds. And he's a fitness freak. There's a lot of players that carry extra weight but Riellys isn't for no reason dude is strong as an ox.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
McAvoy is a bandaid and rielly has made huge strides in his game the last two seasons. I'd go with mo until McAvoy can prove he can play at riellys current level.

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
Macavoy can't stay healthy. And is overrated BC the Bruins have no good young players.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
For the criteria of the post, I went with McAvoy; but i'll freely admit that it could be a bit of a homer pick. I don't think you could go wrong with either guy, but for the longer term, I think McAvoy would be the better anchor on defense. That said, if I was picking "2nd", I'd still be super happy with Reilly!

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Rielly. McAvoy is horribly overrated.
It hasn't been a great year for McAvoy and he'll need to get back on track but i see the potential to get to Rielly's level with good health and development going well.
I really like the kid and hope he does but i have my doubts that many GM's would be willing to pass on the guy who has already reached that level.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's looking more unlikely by the day that McAvoy will ever reach Rielly's level of play. Very overrated IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad