Start Your Franchise Draft I

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.

The Mariners want to win now. A lot of franchises here seem to be looking 5-10 years down the line. Someone has to juice up their roster with prime players to win now. JD has been a premier hitter for two, going on three seasons (154 OPS+, 140 OPS+, and currently 140 OPS+ again). At the price we'll be paying him, that's damn good. Oh, and he is one of the few star caliber players who isn't attached to Scott Boras' greedy loving ass. :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Mariners want to win now. A lot of franchises here seem to be looking 5-10 years down the line. Someone has to juice up their roster with prime players to win now. JD has been a premier hitter for two, going on three seasons (154 OPS+, 140 OPS+, and currently 140 OPS+ again). At the price we'll be paying him, that's damn good. Oh, and he is one of the few star caliber players who isn't attached to Scott Boras' greedy loving ass. :laugh:

I'm still not 100% sold on him.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
The Toronto Blue Jays select OF Michael Brantley

brantley1.jpg

28 years old
16: 6.5M
17: 7.5M
18: 11M Team Option

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Miami Marlins are happy to select SP Eduardo Rodriguez

092815_bos_rodriguezfall_medres_0y12fia3.gif

Just turned 23 | $512,000 Annual salary | Under team control through the 2021 season

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Biggest factor swaying rankings is contract status. Otherwise you'd see the Price's (big money owed) and Bautista's (expiring) of the world being picked.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I guess, but some guys are being taken who are 3 or 4 years away from being legitimate all-star level players if they ever become that, and at least half of the franchises can afford big contracts anyway.

Just something I was observing.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think these guys are being undervalued in this draft.

In this scenario you definitely want to prioritize that combination of talent/youth/cost. That said, without giving anything away, I'm definitely targeting more established players with my final picks. The fact that it's only going 4 rounds plays into it aswell.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
In this scenario you definitely want to prioritize that combination of talent/youth/cost. That said, without giving anything away, I'm definitely targeting more established players with my final picks. The fact that it's only going 4 rounds plays into it aswell.

But, outside of the picks that net top players in the game who are young like Machado, Trout, Harper, Arenado, etc..., there's definitely incentive to just say "**** it, give me 3 years" and go balls to the wall.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
But, outside of the picks that net top players in the game who are young like Machado, Trout, Harper, Arenado, etc..., there's definitely incentive to just say "**** it, give me 3 years" and go balls to the wall.

I'm trying to do that with Arizona seeing as how they are trying to do it IRL anyway. I'm just trying to do it more better. :popcorn:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm going very heavy on cost controlled young players with high upside. I also have Marlins and Reds so not exactly your big spenders there (yeah, they have Stanton and Votto I know).

The way I look at it thought is that it's not just this contract, it's the next one too. I'm not looking at a 3 year window to win a WS. I'm trying to build a solid franchise for the next decade. I'd rather pick someone that I can get 10 years out of at a good price than 3 good/great ones and then they start regressing and you're going to still have to pay big money to keep them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad