GDT: Stars vs Jackets

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A new injury (now Boone Jenner) - what a surprise, we haven't had that in a long time. 😎

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I was at the Stars/Red Wings game a couple weeks back. It got really quiet before a faceoff, and I yelled really loud, "You suck, Dylan!"

Everyone around me laughed. Larkin ended up costing his team the game in OT because he was so rattled.

What I'm trying to say is the Stars owe us one. I am hoping we can get a 4-3 exciting loss to keep the tank on tracks.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Don’t care about the outcome, but what I would like to see is 13-91-29 figure out a way to get sustained o-zone time. Nobody on that line is a forechecker, so it’s going to have to be controlled transitions or quick counter attacks to get set up. Likewise in the d-zone, we need to see how they do in breaking out. Hopefully Johnson can support below the puck and use his elusiveness.

Which reminds me…. The team has struggled to get out of their own zone, and I think part of that is due to there being no support below the puck on dump ins. If you watched the bruins game, the Jackets would dump the puck into the corner, the nearest bruin player would go try to win the puck and tie up the nearest CBJ player. Simultaneously another Bruin would get below the puck (where the tied up Bruin would try to move the puck to), receive the pass then immediately look for support either on the halfwall or a curling center/winger between the dots. IMO, it seems that we don’t have that support below the puck. Not sure if that is due to guys having poor hockey IQ, or if it is a result of the defensive zone scheme where guys don’t want to leave their areas?

^^^ I’m not a coach, so hopefully I explained that well enough, do people see what I see?

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Don’t care about the outcome, but what I would like to see is 13-91-29 figure out a way to get sustained o-zone time. Nobody on that line is a forechecker, so it’s going to have to be controlled transitions or quick counter attacks to get set up. Likewise in the d-zone, we need to see how they do in breaking out. Hopefully Johnson can support below the puck and use his elusiveness.

Which reminds me…. The team has struggled to get out of their own zone, and I think part of that is due to there being no support below the puck on dump ins. If you watched the bruins game, the Jackets would dump the puck into the corner, the nearest bruin player would go try to win the puck and tie up the nearest CBJ player. Simultaneously another Bruin would get below the puck (where the tied up Bruin would try to move the puck to), receive the pass then immediately look for support either on the halfwall or a curling center/winger between the dots. IMO, it seems that we don’t have that support below the puck. Not sure if that is due to guys having poor hockey IQ, or if it is a result of the defensive zone scheme where guys don’t want to leave their areas?

^^^ I’m not a coach, so hopefully I explained that well enough, do people see what I see?

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I've seen it too, and sometimes I suspect it's a lack of confidence issue because I've also seen stretches where our guys (when they're being particularly aggressive) press forward regardless and challenge the guy below as well (rather than just the first defender) and it leads to more opportunities. It's as though sometimes the team collectively feels like we're not good enough to win board battles in general so if the first one doesn't work, might as well keep everybody back and not have anyone potentially caught behind the play and Hope For Some Kind Of Neutral Zone Turnover by the other side. Like, they're trying to be conservative but not really knowing how. It's egregiously Rush Opportunity Only and kind of exasperating to watch.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I've seen it too, and sometimes I suspect it's a lack of confidence issue because I've also seen stretches where our guys (when they're being particularly aggressive) press forward regardless and challenge the guy below as well (rather than just the first defender) and it leads to more opportunities. It's as though sometimes the team collectively feels like we're not good enough to win board battles in general so if the first one doesn't work, might as well keep everybody back and not have anyone potentially caught behind the play and Hope For Some Kind Of Neutral Zone Turnover by the other guy. Like, they're trying to be conservative but not really knowing how. It's egregiously Rush Opportunity Only and kind of exasperating to watch.
Had not thought about that when forechecking but it seems like a good point as well.

A beautiful song juxtaposed with the ugliness of the Jackets. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'll guess that Johnson stays on the first line through the first period, then Kurlay goes there for the rest of the game because Larsen
Quit being so pessimistic…..even though you’re probably right :ipeace

Seeing KJ center those two is what has me most interested in tonight’s game. I’m hoping Lars shows patience and doesn’t do a knee jerk reaction if its bumpy at first

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I feel bad for Elvis, Korpi and Tarasov - the CBJ blue line is not prepared to go against most NHL teams. Not their fault, but way too green.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel bad for Elvis, Korpi and Tarasov - the CBJ blue line is not prepared to go against most NHL teams. Not their fault, but way too green.
I feel bad when the defense puts together a decent game here and there and the goaltending gives up deflating goals. Been a solid team effort with the poor GA stat

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The interesting part will obviously be how 91 does between Johnny and Laine. I think it will look better with Johnson.

Dallas has been pretty good, that Hintz line will solve our defense unfortunately.

If Tarasov can keep it under 4 goals, there's a chance.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The interesting part will obviously be how 91 does between Johnny and Laine. I think it will look better with Johnson.

Dallas has been pretty good, that Hintz line will solve our defense unfortunately.

If Tarasov can keep it under 4 goals, there's a chance.
Not exactly expecting 4+ goals against Oettinger and but it would be fun.

Reactions: Marioesque

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2