Confirmed with Link: Stars re-sign John Klingberg, 7 Years - $4.250M per

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Heika's article says its a $4.2M per average.

If that's true... Wow. What a steal. That could end up being one of the best contracts in the NHL in 2-3 years, much less 6-7.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Wow! After a great rookie year no doubt - but wow.

Although if he keeps progressing, this will be one of the best contracts in the league in 2-3 years.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I wonder how it is structured. It might be best for it to be front-loaded with all of the money we have coming off of the books, and huge contracts for Jamie and Seguin down the road.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Well this was unexpected but absolutely awesome news to wake up to! Couldn't be more happy. That contract could be the best in the league in a few years, well worth the gamble.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets fan coming in.... wow what a steal. Could be the best deal in years. Congrats! I think your management is awesome.

Alveio

Apr 13, 2015
If he can confirm his great season, that could be a steal in the next 2 or 3 years. Great work Jim Nill !

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
Good move. Even if Klingberg disapoints I think he will be worth more than 4.2m every season of that 7 year span.
Great management in Dallas, love your team and your jerseys =)

/Preds fan

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Heika's article says its a $4.2M per average.

If that's true... Wow. What a steal. That could end up being one of the best contracts in the NHL in 2-3 years, much less 6-7.
I love it.

It's ballsy to invest this much in less than a full NHL season, but In Jim Nill We Trust hahaha

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Great deal, I wonder if Klingberg asked for the long term security from his perspective would make a lot more sense to sign a bridge and then if he preforms go for the long term pay day.

Gar Glow

Mar 23, 2015
Very interested in this. Bruins fan, klingberg owner in a keeper league. 7 years is a lot for a young d man with hip issues in the past and 1 great year. Are there any future concerns with the hip? Im taking it as a poitive sign, with the stars giving out term that long id guess they are quite confident in it.

I said it on the main board that this reminded me of the longoria contract,except i dont believe he had played a game in the mlb (or nhl).

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Damn i like this deal. Sure theres always a risk, but at 4.25M thats still a great contract. RHD PMD is not easy to find. Good work Nill!

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
In his article about Norris Trophy finalists, Jason Lewis over at Hockeybuzz.com gave Klingberg some love.

Interesting talking points in terms of defenseman as well, when you compare Calder finalist Aaron Ekblad alongside other outstanding rookie John Klingberg, the zone starts are astronomically different. The 18-year old had a remarkable season, but his coaches used him in situations of lower risk than John Klingberg. For example, Ekblad got nearly 40% of his zone starts in the offensive zone versus Klingberg's 28. Yet, Klingberg finished with 40 points to Ekblad's 39. He also finished with more average ice time than Ekblad, more shifts per game, and each had similar special team's time.

Yet Ekblad is a finalist for the Calder while Klingberg, arguably the better defenseman sits on the sideline.

In essence this is how these trophies can work. It is as much about the on ice play as it is the popularity, notoriety, and personality of the player.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/What-Are-We-Looking-for-with-the-Norris-Trophy/179/68285

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'll take the better player over the award winner 10 times out of 10.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, but I am sure all teams get frustrated by the popularity aspect from time to time. We all want just rewards.

I am still pissed the Hitchcock didn't get the Adams trophy in 98 (?) he added more points than Nolan with the Sabres, but somehow was "expected to" with the roster he had, and Nolan got the award. East Coast bias, to be sure.

At least the Ross trophy wasn't a vote! Otherwise, they might not have given it to Benn, because he was "just a fifth rounder."

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Grass is green, water is wet, trade board is full of fantasyland homerism etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad