Post-Game Talk: Stars @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Truthfully I've never read an online glossary of hockey definitions. In all the years of playing and watching I have never heard a coach or announcer ever refer to inside the top of the faceoff circles as the slot. Especially when describing a play on the rush, since the slot is usually a term reserved for describing in-zone defenseive coverage. I wouldn't consider someone coming in on a breakaway and blasting a slapshot past the goalie scoring from the slot.

Not that it matters. He shot from right at the top of the faceoff circles. Actually his release starts about 2-3 feet out.

Which means at the end of the day its an unscreened 25-35 foot wrist shot.

Which is a shot that needs to be stopped.

Which was stopped, but physics sometimes take over and the puck trickled through and over the goal line. Unfortunate.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
All jokes aside, this isn't a problem with our back up goaltender. This is a problem with certain posters on this board. The inability to think positively, or even rationally, in place of brute and illogical cynicism.

When Henrik is healthy - he is taken for granted.
When Kreider has an off game - half of you are ready to join up in front of his apartment with pitchforks and blowtorches... because "he should be able to play the same exact way every game". (LOL @ that sentiment, btw).
When Zucc was put in a position to fail against defenders that prevented his bread and butter - "I can't wait until this bum is off our team".
When Girardi is on the ice for a goal he couldn't prevent - "Most over rated defender in the league"
When Staal's incredibly long stick isn't an inch longer to poke check a goal - "This guy sucks"

The list goes on. Every game. Something negative to harp on about someone. The problem isn't always the players... it's your lack of ability to think positively... and maybe not even that, logically would suffice, too.

Goalies have the toughest job. Mentally. I don't just say that because I used to play as one. Every play a goalie makes is under the microscope. That is because the goalie is the last man back. There is usually no one to bail out one of his mistakes. And people are much more forgiving for wingers/centers/defenders when they make a mistake and someone else on the team bails them out... when in reality, a goalie can rarely be bailed out.

That quote from Henrik after the Habs game summed it up perfectly... A goalie can be playing perfectly, and one moment can haunt him for the rest of eternity. One mistake. Mistakes happen. The negative nancies on this board don't let anyone forget the mistakes. Goalies' mistakes are magnified far worse in the scope of perception, because they almost always lead to goals.

Problem wasn't Cam last night. He let in 1 goal that he'd like to have back. The 2nd. Sure. But the team played like ****ing **** for 55 minutes. They expected to win having Cam save their ass and then show up for the final 5 minutes of the game. That's an automatic recipe for disaster. The OTL was on the team. Particularly our 1st line, 4th line, and McDonagh.

Very good post. Its okay to say bad pass or he should have shot occasionally but the game thread yesterday was too much. It was non stop negativity even in a tie game.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Hrmm, most every definition of it on the web says otherwise.

Truthfully I've never read an online glossary of hockey definitions. In all the years of playing and watching I have never heard a coach or announcer ever refer to inside the top of the faceoff circles as the slot. Especially when describing a play on the rush, since the slot is usually a term reserved for describing in-zone defenseive coverage. I wouldn't consider someone coming in on a breakaway and blasting a slapshot past the goalie scoring from the slot.

Not that it matters. He shot from right at the top of the faceoff circles. Actually his release starts about 2-3 feet out.

Which means at the end of the day its an unscreened 25-35 foot wrist shot.

Which is a shot that needs to be stopped.

http://growthegame.com/blog/glossary-the-slot/

Slot_Post31.gif

I have always learned that this was the slot.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Which was stopped, but physics sometimes take over and the puck trickled through and over the goal line. Unfortunate.

Even the best goalies let pucks go through them sometimes. But its a very low percentage play. Even the Stars players were surprised it went it.

It was unfortunate. As was Hayes idiotic turnover that led to the rush.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Very good post. Its okay to say bad pass or he should have shot occasionally but the game thread yesterday was too much. It was non stop negativity even in a tie game.

Could you imagine if our team was going through what Toronto is right now? I shudder to think of this place.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Even the best goalies let pucks go through them sometimes. But its a very low percentage play. Even the Stars players were surprised it went it.

It was unfortunate. As was Hayes idiotic turnover that led to the rush.

That Hayes turn over was a bad play... but imagine how good he woulda looked if he made that pass one of those feast or famine plays

BarbaraAlphanse

That Hayes turn over was a bad play... but imagine how good he woulda looked if he made that pass one of those feast or famine plays

Imagine how good Miller would look if every one of his fancy passes worked out, too...?

Not a good way to think about Kevin's decision.

TurgePurge*

.300 hitters sometimes go 1 for 4
50% shooters in bball sometimes shoot 8 for 20
.920 goalies sometimes have .880 games

You can demand better all you want but if players didn't have "bad" games to avg out their good games then goalies would have .960 sv% and sub 1 gaa.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Could you imagine if our team was going through what Toronto is right now? I shudder to think of this place.

I was trying to get people to dial back the negativity last night. It happens on many boards but on NY boards it is in hyperdrive.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
That is a huge area. The slot is Esposito/Kerr territory. Basically parked in middle of the faceoff dots.

With the expansion of the crease you got to move to he slot back, the slot is not one pin point area. If you notice in that diagram it all funnels down. How it was explained to me when I first started playing you wanted to make your way to the slot... Movement that's why the diagram shows it being so big.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hes a rookie he's gonna make mistakes like that. I already said it was a bad play

Hayes made one great play and one horrible play. In my mind they even out. Sometimes we do not see a guy who intercepts a pass. It happens to everyone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
With the expansion of the crease you got to move to he slot back, the slot is not one pin point area. If you notice in that diagram it all funnels down. How it was explained to me when I first started playing you wanted to make your way to the slot... Movement that's why the diagram shows it being so big.

My coaches always showed the crease area and then slot area being 10-20 feet straight back from the crease (low slot/high slot). You could say it varies a bit up and back or sideways but your gif showed around 60% of the offensive zone. Look at Phil Esposito or Tim Kerr goals. They came on quick wrist/snap shots from the slot. Some of that gif area would be pushing slap shot areas.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
My coaches always showed the crease area and then slot area being 10-20 feet straight back from the crease (low slot/high slot). You could say it varies a bit up and back or sideways but your gif showed around 60% of the offensive zone. Look at Phil Esposito or Tim Kerr goals. They came on quick wrist/snap shots from the slot. Some of that gif area would be pushing slap shot areas.

Like I said I think the reason that is so big is they take into account the movement like accepting the pas and moving down toward the net still

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Like I said I think the reason that is so big is they take into account the movement like accepting the pas and moving down toward the net still

Okay I could see that if they do not mean for that to be the actual slot area.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Lol now that's an exaggeration... Unless the top of the dots is a point shot

You sometimes get a 3rd man high roaming around that area but the only time anyone would set up that high would be on a 5-on-3 or a 5-on-4 after the box collapsed. And in both cases it would be from the point.

The slot is almost always a seam in the area underneath the defending wingers. If a slot guy was setting up that high I would image most coaches would yell at him.

But again I am only going off what I've experienced.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Is this a real post?

Watch the play. Puck was under his pad after he saved it, and it trickled out as he continued sliding and into the net.

He didn't get beat clean on the shot. Others in this thread said he did. Only point I'm trying to make.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That's insane. The upper outside of the faceoff circle is the slot? That top area is practically a point shot.

I think based on the diagram you quoted, the section between the circles (not face off dots) and from the bottom of Zone 3 to the net is the slot.

10-15 from the net is low slot. beyond that to the top of the circle is high slot.

15 feet when you have a goalie, 2 defenceman and a teammate confined in that area is not alot of room.

However expanding the meaning of the term slot to include the actual face off dots? That's a bit much.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
All jokes aside, this isn't a problem with our back up goaltender. This is a problem with certain posters on this board. The inability to think positively, or even rationally, in place of brute and illogical cynicism.

When Henrik is healthy - he is taken for granted.
When Kreider has an off game - half of you are ready to join up in front of his apartment with pitchforks and blowtorches... because "he should be able to play the same exact way every game". (LOL @ that sentiment, btw).
When Zucc was put in a position to fail against defenders that prevented his bread and butter - "I can't wait until this bum is off our team".
When Girardi is on the ice for a goal he couldn't prevent - "Most over rated defender in the league"
When Staal's incredibly long stick isn't an inch longer to poke check a goal - "This guy sucks"

The list goes on. Every game. Something negative to harp on about someone. The problem isn't always the players... it's your lack of ability to think positively... and maybe not even that, logically would suffice, too.

Goalies have the toughest job. Mentally. I don't just say that because I used to play as one. Every play a goalie makes is under the microscope. That is because the goalie is the last man back. There is usually no one to bail out one of his mistakes. And people are much more forgiving for wingers/centers/defenders when they make a mistake and someone else on the team bails them out... when in reality, a goalie can rarely be bailed out.

That quote from Henrik after the Habs game summed it up perfectly... A goalie can be playing perfectly, and one moment can haunt him for the rest of eternity. One mistake. Mistakes happen. The negative nancies on this board don't let anyone forget the mistakes. Goalies' mistakes are magnified far worse in the scope of perception, because they almost always lead to goals.

Problem wasn't Cam last night. He let in 1 goal that he'd like to have back. The 2nd. Sure. But the team played like ****ing **** for 55 minutes. They expected to win having Cam save their ass and then show up for the final 5 minutes of the game. That's an automatic recipe for disaster. The OTL was on the team. Particularly our 1st line, 4th line, and McDonagh.

:handclap:

Great post, sums up my thoughts and views perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad