Stars Players Inquiry Thread (Fantasy and Otherwise)

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
With the various inquiries spread across several threads thought this would probably be a place to consolidate them. So ask away inquirers! Here are the answers so far to other inquiries (as of preseason)...

what do you guys expect from Neal this year?

Quite a bit if he plays the full season with Richards and Eriksson. He needs to at least match his goal totals from last year while improving his defensive play. It would make since for Crawford to play them against the other team's top line with Ribeiro's group probably drawing the checking line from the opposition.

What are the forward groups looking like?
Morrow-Ribeiro-Benn
Neal-Richards-Eriksson

How is Brad Richards looking?
Apparently Richards is healthy for the first time since being acquired from Tampa. In '08 he had mono and then last year he had shoulder issues, a broken wrist, and a broken hand.

He is looking awesome. Healthy yes and playing with heart yes.

How bout Morrow? Healthy and back to his usual 70 point self while racking up the PIMs?

I know a knee injury is quite different from a wrist injury, but part of what makes Morrow Morrow is that he is somewhat of a freak of nature. He was lost for half the season in 06-07 when his wrist got slashed by a skate blade, and he came back and had a career year in 07-08. He has been more judicious with his PIMs over the last few years...so I'd say he's safe to be around 100, but not up in the 130's, or 180's like a few years ago. But hey, he was on pace for over 220 in his very shortened season last year, but I can't imagine he'd keep that up for a whole season while playing on the first line.
Personally I think if Ribs and Morrow find their chemistry again, which hasn't quite taken hold yet, I would expect Morrow to have 25-35 goals and around 40 assists, so yea around 70 pts.

Sorry guys didn't quote individual respondents for credit for who gave what answer, because frankly I'm too lazy.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Looks like a perfect place to ask my Stars question, is Jamie Benn definitely sticking for at least his 9 game audition to start the season?

I very much like the look of him on the big line with Ribeiro and Morrow, what are his chances for hanging onto that spot?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Looks like a perfect place to ask my Stars question, is Jamie Benn definitely sticking for at least his 9 game audition to start the season?

I very much like the look of him on the big line with Ribeiro and Morrow, what are his chances for hanging onto that spot?

There is no 9 game audition. Benn is 20 years old, and you're talking about something that applies to 18 and 19 year olds and their contract status.

Unless he struggles, which he has not done yet, Benn is the RW with Morrow and Ribeiro. I assume at some point he'll be in Austin, but I doubt it will be an extended stay (similar to Neal last year).

The veterans in Dallas love him, and he should be with the Stars for the majority of the season, IMO. So yeah, he’s a viable fantasy option in a deep league.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Who's QB'ing the powerplay? I have Robidas in my fantasy league... should I even bother with him?

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
Who's QB'ing the powerplay? I have Robidas in my fantasy league... should I even bother with him?

Richards is QB'ing the PP with Niskanen being the other point on the 1st unit. The PP time Robidas will see is on the second unit. The defenseman are supposed to be more involved under Crawford's system but it is hard to tell how that will translate for Robidas. If you could find someone who you know should put up decent numbers I would probably swap them out, but that is me.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Robidas isn't worthy of keeping in fantasy hockey there's far better defenseman out there.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Crawford is fascinated by Jeff Woywitka. Fistric will be back in the lineup once he realizes his mistake.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
He's playing fine, it's only been 2 games; Morrow's return has nothing to do with him really.

goalby66

May 22, 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
In a very deep league (each team has a farm system that holds 20 players), do you think Sawada is a good acquisition?

Been looking, haven't seen why hasn't played yet this year. I'm guessing an injury.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Sawada had a decent shot at making the 4th line RW position, but a combination of factors including Benn moving to RW, Benn outplaying everyone in camp, and Sawada not impressing led to his getting assigned to the AHL. Once there he almost immediately injured his thumb in a fight during a preseason game. It's unknown how long he'll be out and when he returns, the NHL does not appear to be in his immediate future.

what
Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
For a standard Yahoo public roto league, who do you guys feel would be the better pick up, Benn or Neal? Any special factors to take into consideration? Thanks. :)

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
For a standard Yahoo public roto league, who do you guys feel would be the better pick up, Benn or Neal? Any special factors to take into consideration? Thanks. :)

I would say Neal.

Benn is a rookie so he'll probably have his struggles, and his line with Morrow and Ribeiro still hasn't been clicking as well as we know they can.

The Neal-Richards-Eriksson line however, is our most dominant line. When they are on the ice, they are constantly creating chances and going in hard on the forecheck. I don't think I've seen a line that fast here in Dallas for a while. Richards is flying like he hasn't since the year Tampa won the Cup, so I think he is finally fully healthy, which is something he hasn't been for a couple years.

Neal looks like he is gonna have another solid year, so I would say he is the better of the two to pick up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

In addition, Neal seemed to be playing on the top PP unit with Modano and Eriksson before Modano injured his rib. Now, Ribs unit has taken that role, but you could see that change when Modano is healthy.

Being on the top unit though is important because that group is getting the most ice time with Richards, and he's clearly on a different level than the other point men.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yes, but hopefully a short-term thing. Then again you never really know with him.

He was playing with a roulette wheel of bottom 6 forwards, nothing constant to report.

Sony Eriksson*

IF anyone has a goalie go down with an injury they are screwed in the FA pool.

ScubaSteve*

I wouldn't bother with your team at all. If you drafted Robidas for a fantasy team you should just give up now.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I wouldn't bother with your team at all. If you drafted Robidas for a fantasy team you should just give up now.
There's no need to spread your worthless anti-Robidas repetitions to people looking for honest advice, especially when it's 10 days too late anyway.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Also, Robidas' stats are very good for a fantasy defenseman. His +/- and ability to put up points (and pay off stantions in Chicago) make him very valuable in a league with any depth at all.

Being a great fantasy defenseman doesn't make a guy an elite defenseman, obviously, but Robidas is up there as far as fantasy goes this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad