GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jordie Benn with an A, that is funny.

Jordie was by far the player on the roster with most games played with the Stars . The last one was like 6 years ago but still.

Stars dressed a hungry roster against a Yotes roster where reading who played for them i know like 3-4 guys and they did what they were supposed to. Completely destroy that wierd Yotes roster

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
So they have broadcast camera highlights from the game, but impossible to get a simple stream going…
I could do it, just me and a laptop (frequently do so as a matter of fact)

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So they have broadcast camera highlights from the game, but impossible to get a simple stream going…
I could do it, just me and a laptop (frequently do so as a matter of fact)

Bally Sports will sue them. The problem is BSSW owns the rights to broadcast the games but won't broadcast them. Unfortunately Dallas negotiated this deal when the team wasn't as popular and 99% of fans wouldn't care about pre-season.

Hopefully in their next broadcast negotiations they either enforce pre-season game coverage, or make the broadcaster relinquish their rights to pre-season games so the team can cover it.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Bally Sports will sue them. The problem is BSSW owns the rights to broadcast the games but won't broadcast them. Unfortunately Dallas negotiated this deal when the team wasn't as popular and 99% of fans wouldn't care about pre-season.

Hopefully in their next broadcast negotiations they either enforce pre-season game coverage, or make the broadcaster relinquish their rights to pre-season games so the team can cover it.

I’m 37% sure a clause doesn’t cover something that isn’t being broadcast.
Even if there was, it would be stupid to say they couldn’t agree to have a stream on Bally platform. Little to no extra cost since there’s already people manning the cameras regardless.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’m 37% sure a clause doesn’t cover something that isn’t being broadcast.
Even if there was, it would be stupid to say they couldn’t agree to have a stream on Bally platform. Little to no extra cost since there’s already people manning the cameras regardless.

Oh no they will sue them. This happened a few years back. Stars broadcasted first and maybe even the 2nd pre-season game via online stream and then league and right holder ( back then FSSW ) stepped in and told them to stop.

Even if the rights holder decides not to broadcast something they still can and will stop anybody else from doing it in their place

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'll be going to the game tonight. Hope that is indeed the lineup

Wish Johnston was playing but other than that it's solid

Last edited:

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
1695747183725.jpeg
The monster is ready to go.

Reactions: Sports2 and LT

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats a decent amount of NHL talent but usually in pre-season those tend to try less because no reason for it outside of finding a rhythm

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
You realize this entire issue is on BallySports not the Stars right?
Not entirely. When they signed their contract they could have put in there that the Stars can broadcast preseason games that Bally didn't wish to pick up. That's actually how it works with the UIL for playoff high school football in Texas. Bally SSW owns the rights to all playoff football games but they never, ever broadcast any of them other than the state championship games. So other broadcasters in the state can get secondary rights to the other playoff games pre-state championship.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not entirely. When they signed their contract they could have put in there that the Stars can broadcast preseason games that Bally didn't wish to pick up.

That was in 2014 when the team wasn't as healthy as it is now.

Contract aparently runs out in 2025 .

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
You realize this entire issue is on BallySports not the Stars right?

Yes, I realize that but it is also on the Stars to negotiate the original deal, or, amend the current agreement and buyout the pre-season rights or something similar. Bally Sports is on the brink of collapse and they have an asset that generates them no revenue.. maybe something could be done there from the Stars end.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I sure hope there is a plan in the works for when the current deal expires. If need be buy equipment yourself and hire all of the production crew. Most of the on-air talent already works for the team anyway.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yes, I realize that but it is also on the Stars to negotiate the original deal, or, amend the current agreement and buyout the pre-season rights or something similar. Bally Sports is on the brink of collapse and they have an asset that generates them no revenue.. maybe something could be done there from the Stars end.

buyout the preseason rights? no shot they'll make money on that. selling advertising on something no one will watch is a really tough ask.
most of the time the leverage to get advertisers to spend budget on a preseason game is tie it to the right to buy reg season airtime. (like they make you buy preseason if you want season tickets)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad