Post-Game Talk: Stars def. Canucks - 3-1 (Miller) | Not Clinched

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Our top players just really don't have the cohesion that you see in other really high end pps.

I always see 5-6 passes on the perimeter - that doesn't move the opposing pk players at all, and we spend all that time to generate grade B chances.
Just look at the 6-5 at the end, we passed it like for a good 20s and it resulted in a forced shot by Hughes from the blue line with the other team set to defend it. Whats the point of even passing then? just shoot prayers and waste less time.

You watch the pp on the Avalanche/Oilers/Leafs and its night and day.

Top players lack killer instinct.

And the team has too many soft forwards and mistake prone dmen, that playing a physical defensive game will not work.
Agreed on the bold. The top players (namely Pettersson) just aren't moving their feet enough. They aren't showing that they want it enough to push this team past the hump. There were flashes of that play from a few tonight (ie. Hughes, Boeser and Miller) but it was just not sustained enough.

Reactions: B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
History shows that teams which go anywhere in the playoffs, have another gear they can reach. They play well enough in the regular season to make the top-8 in their conference.....but they go higher in the post-season.

But does this Canuck team have another gear to reach? Just not sure they do.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Pettersson didn't score but was otherwise terrific tonight. Problem is when you have a second line of Bains/Miller/Lafferty, teams are just going to focus on your actual good line and make it hell for them.

Tocchet should scream at a mirror for how idiotic that lineup was.
We need Pettersson to perform offensively. Rarely seldom do we see him score any big goals against top teams. That's been the issue. I miss last year's version of him.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
History shows that teams which go anywhere in the playoffs, have another gear they can reach. They play well enough in the regular season to make the top-8 in their conference.....but they go higher in the post-season.

But does this Canuck team have another gear to reach? Just not sure they do.
At least this year we get to find out for a change lol!

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Elias Pettersson has the best one-timer in franchise history, and our powerplay has found him maybe 5 good looks all year. Watch a Colorado powerplay and see how often they get MacKinnon his one-timer looks from the left hash. Ovechkin literally has stood in the same spot for 20 years. Our powerplay scheme is just bad. It needs a total rework.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Maybe I watched a different game but I didn't really see Oettinger break that much of a sweat.
He was in position to swallow up a lot of the saves. Many shots were getting blocked because all Canucks did was throw a lot of perimeter shots.
I'm actually surprised Canucks registered over 20 shots, it didn't seem like it.

So I'm not actually convinced Canucks were playing that well 5 on 5 either.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Need a serious goon nhl has lost its way that no boarding call make sure a star hurts bad if refs won't do the job send a message had enough of buttmans management its not like we get anyfavor make it not worth it to play that us that way

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Quit making excuses for pathetic reffing. Canucks could have played better sure. But that 1st Dallas goal was bullshit. The non boarding call was also bullshit.

Reffing was atrocious. I doubt you'll hear much argument about it. Nonetheless, good teams overcome it. So far our record against the current playoff bound West are:

Colorado: 0-3
Dallas: 1-2
Edmonton: 3-0 (one game left)
LA: 1-2 (one game left)
Nashville: 3-0
Vegas: 1-1 (two games left)
Winnipeg: 1-1

In other words, we've spanked Nashville and Edmonton around, albeit before both had their insane resurgence. Otherwise, we've struggled against every team except Winnipeg. Vegas is an unknown since we still have two games against them.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Was a solid game, coin toss really.

Canucks can hang with the Stars but they aren't winning anything in the playoffs without fixing the Power Play. 5 on 5 was very even. They capitalized on their special teams and the Canucks didn't.

Pretty simple.

Watching the Avs, Stars, and Oilers on the PP and it's so evident how lackluster this top unit is. They need to start by getting Suter off. He has no business being on a top unit and there has been nothing to suggest he deserves to stay. Time to make some changes to find anything else that will work.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not being as good as he can be on offense is my guess. When he's on his game, he's a huge threat to score. His defense was great. He looks uncertain too often.
Yeah I’d like to see him play a bit quicker and trust his skillet more, the guy has insane hands and a great shot, yet he does seem hesitant to challenge dmen 1 on 1 and hangs onto puck too long allowing the defense to get set.

I actually thought he was a bit better on the powerplay, a couple of times he made decisive plays and tried to make plays down low which team seldom does(Kuz was good at this), Hughes and Miller spent too much time just holding the puck on the outside.

Reactions: quat

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Was a solid game, coin toss really.

Canucks can hang with the Stars but they aren't winning anything in the playoffs without fixing the Power Play. 5 on 5 was very even. They capitalized on their special teams and the Canucks didn't.

Pretty simple.

Watching the Avs, Stars, and Oilers on the PP and it's so evident how lackluster this top unit is. They need to start by getting Suter off. He has no business being on a top unit and there has been nothing to suggest he deserves to stay. Time to make some changes to find anything else that will work.
Always wondering how Suter is on there. He does nothing. Is there no one else that can play bumper? Hello Joshua? Podz? Anyone!!

Reactions: Ace of Hades

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
The refs need to be bullied into submission by this fanbase. If the league and team can't do it

Let the fans shame them.

Pathetic display by the league tonight

Reactions: Jay26

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Reffing was atrocious. I doubt you'll hear much argument about it. Nonetheless, good teams overcome it. So far our record against the current playoff bound West are:

In other words, we've spanked Nashville and Edmonton around, albeit before both had their insane resurgence. Otherwise, we've struggled against every team except Winnipeg. Vegas is an unknown since we still have two games against them.
In other words we are .500 against them. Not bad not great. Anything can happen otherwise.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
In other words we are .500 against them. Not bad not great. Anything can happen otherwise.
I would assume the other teams in the West have a similar record on the whole.

All the teams are so close at the moment, if they didn't, it would mean they've struggled against non-playoff teams. Turns out, good teams don't dominate other good teams.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

I'm too lazy to check, but if I recall.
Some of those games that Canucks won, the opponent was playing their 2nd game of a back to back.

Maybe someone can factcheck me if I'm wrong.

The team traded it's top 2 goal scorers for guys that don't score goals.

EP has gotten worse every season on the PP his entire career.

Brock Boeser's so streaky...
You almost forget he's the goal scorer on this team.

Reactions: B-rock

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
The team traded it's top 2 goal scorers for guys that don't score goals.

EP has gotten worse every season on the PP his entire career.
You talking Horvat and Kuz?
I mean we saw what the team was like for the last 8 years without a good defence, which is what Hronek helps to provide.
And Kuz wasn’t scoring unfortunately, as much as we all love the guy.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad