Post-Game Talk: Stars def. Canucks - 3-1 (Miller) | Not Clinched

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly? I'm less worried about Vegas even if they do get everyone back game 1. They've been incredibly sloppy themselves. We don't match up well against LA whatsoever. That's the team I'm a bit more worried about.
Do we really match up well vs Vegas either though?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don’t think Dallas is some sort of Juggernaut team..Canucks matched up with them quite well..(5v5)..It’s not like they had us on our heels for extended times..

More of a case of Canucks shooting themselves in the foot, and a very inept power play.
Problem is this is a constant theme.

Game is close but shoot themselves in the foot and produce nothing on the PP.

Special teams will be the difference in the playoffs.

Coaching staff has had plenty of time to figure it out. They haven’t.

So unless the expectation is that Demko will be healthy and stand on his head, this team is not looking good regardless of who they play.

And especially if it’s Vegas.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Our top players just really don't have the cohesion that you see in other really high end pps.

I always see 5-6 passes on the perimeter - that doesn't move the opposing pk players at all, and we spend all that time to generate grade B chances.
Just look at the 6-5 at the end, we passed it like for a good 20s and it resulted in a forced shot by Hughes from the blue line with the other team set to defend it. Whats the point of even passing then? just shoot prayers and waste less time.

You watch the pp on the Avalanche/Oilers/Leafs and its night and day.

Top players lack killer instinct.

And the team has too many soft forwards and mistake prone dmen, that playing a physical defensive game will not work.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Honestly, I think not fixing the pp will literally cost us the postseason.

Oh, that's a given. I don't know whether it's Tocchet, Yeo or the boys themselves but they aren't even trying to do much different despite it constantly failing. At some point, you just have to throw out the current setup and move on if it isn't working.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Funny how 10 minutes ago everyone was talking about how evenly matched we are with them and then they score a goal on a BS penalty and an empty netter and suddenly we are a tier below them and have no hopes of contending

What an overreaction in the game thread
Well, they did play well, but just not as good as the Stars. Blaming the reffing when the Canucks can't score on their chances and their PP is toothless isn't wise.

There's issues with the team and we're seeing them. It's great to see them dominate for stretches, as they are capable of playing well. They're not likely to overcome many opponents without fixing their problems.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Our top players just really don't have the cohesion that you see in other really high end pps.

I always see 5-6 passes on the perimeter - that doesn't move the opposing pk players at all, and we spend all that time to generate grade B chances.
Just look at the 6-5 at the end, we passed it like for a good 20s and it resulted in a forced shot by Hughes from the blue line with the other team set to defend it. Whats the point of even passing then? just shoot prayers and waste less time.

You watch the pp on the Avalanche/Oilers/Leafs and its night and day.

Top players lack killer instinct.

And the team has too many soft forwards and mistake prone dmen, that playing a defensive game will not work.

It’s just very soft, lots of attempts at getting point shots through and going for deflections which teams adjusted for ages ago. It’s like Tocchet had one good idea and how he doesn’t know what to do anymore.

Reactions: Jay26 and calnuck

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Honestly? I'm less worried about Vegas even if they do get everyone back game 1. They've been incredibly sloppy themselves. We don't match up well against LA whatsoever. That's the team I'm a bit more worried about.
Size and speed of Vegas will blow this team away unless Demko turns into Bubble Demko.

Close games decided by special teams?

I’d take any team over Van right now.

Reactions: quat and TruKnyte

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I thought we were in this game and it was tight checking and closely played.

Some crappy reffing at the end followed by a bonehead goalie pull cost us, IMO.

We cant keep saying this and losing, we played well, but the refs and bad luck cost us.

Top teams need to close out games to. And I thought the refs were brutal again. But the PP on our end was dreadful and missed chances again.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Stop finding excuses for this team. Its many games in a row now we lost vs contenders that take us seriously. This is of SERIOUS concern for the managers if their plan is to get far into the playoffs.
Quit making excuses for pathetic reffing. Canucks could have played better sure. But that 1st Dallas goal was bullshit. The non boarding call was also bullshit.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Tocchet really galaxy braining himself with these line combinations.

That 3rd line was the best in hockey until Joshua went down. Play them together to spur the chemistry for the playoffs!
Bluegar is garbage.

JT Miller should be playing with Joshua

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Debatable? Right now, we're okay against them mostly because they cheat a lot offensive. Hard to say what they'll look like if Stone plays and when Hertl draws in. Could be scary or the chemistry could be a mess.
I feel like their top players(Eichel, Stone, Theodore) always play very well against us

Cannot say the same about Petey, Miller vs them. Hughes is so good now that I’m not really worried about him vs anyone

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Quit making excuses for pathetic reffing. Canucks could have played better sure. But that 1st Dallas goal was bullshit. The non boarding call was also bullshit.
What difference would a call make though? The power play is trrrible. 1st unit is useless and 2nd unit is even worse.

Reactions: BimJenning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad