Post-Game Talk: Stars def. Canucks - 3-1 (Miller) | Not Clinched

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Tocchet’s coaching decisions are just baffling sometimes.

Why did we call up Bains (at all) and immediately put him next to Miller, but also take off Boeser to put on Lafferty? It makes zero sense. Literally 0 logic to this.

And fix the PP or we’re losing in the first round.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Pettersson no where in sight in this game.

Pettersson didn't score but was otherwise terrific tonight. Problem is when you have a second line of Bains/Miller/Lafferty, teams are just going to focus on your actual good line and make it hell for them.

Tocchet should scream at a mirror for how idiotic that lineup was.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah this seems sensible. I think we'll get there but it's not going to happen yet. They need to get stronger and more battle hardened so their skill can still be a factor in these kinds of games.
Compare us to a team like Boston who, while probably less talented on paper, is far better at organizing their team to build really solid lines that play well together. This team was at its best when it had lines like 6-40-9 and Garland-Blueger-Joshua rolling; nothing theyve put together since then has really been contender-level effective. They're running out of runway in the regular season to figure this out and lock in.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

Why did we call up Bains (at all) and immediately put him next to Miller, but also take off Boeser to put on Lafferty? It makes zero sense. Literally 0 logic to this.

He’s made some questionable decisions and doesn’t seem able to adjust on the fly

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pettersson really needs to step up his game. There is no player on the Canucks that seems to be underperforming more than he is. Guy just doesn't skate. Constant gliding and lunging.
There’s no injury either, I have no idea what’s going on with him, I have seen enough games to know that when he’s on, he absolutely dominates.

He’s just not playing like that right now, I have no idea why

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Funny how 10 minutes ago everyone was talking about how evenly matched we are with them and then they score a goal on a BS penalty and an empty netter and suddenly we are a tier below them and have no hopes of contending

What an overreaction in the game thread

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Special teams cost us. Seems to be the same ol story these past few weeks. Lack of adjustments with these issues are frustrating as f***.

I am fine with our even strength play as we played well in that aspect.

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both Bains and Podkiolzin look like they definitely belong.....I wouldn't take either guy out of the lineup the rest of the way.

And I might consider sitting Blueger in favor of Aman. He doesn't have a goal in close to 30 games and his careless penalty with three minutes left was the difference in the game.

Reactions: Indiana

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Without a strong PP, the team will be vulnerable in 5 on 5 too.
When Playoffs get rougher, opponents will take chances to play more on the edge and cross the line.
The only thing that keeps the opponents in check is not by getting penalized, but by getting scored on when they're on the PK.

If the Canucks can't score on the PP, then the opponents don't care if they're getting penalties.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Funny how 10 minutes ago everyone was talking about how evenly matched we are with them and then they score a goal on a BS penalty and an empty netter and suddenly we are a tier below them and have no hopes of contending

What an overreaction in the game thread

I think the Stars drove play for most of the game aside from the beginning of the first period.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

The only rationale that makes some sense is to try and give Pettersson more offensive options without having to break up the third line. It's still stupid because now Miller is basically a third line grinder since he has nobody to work with.

Otherwise, Tocchet seems to have AV Glass-esque love affair with Lafferty in the top six. It fails every single time to tries it for longer than a shift or two but try it he must. Insanity and all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad