Post-Game Talk: Stars 4, Canucks 2: Oh no. We lost again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning was on 1040 just yesterday and said both Sutter and Tanev are fine, and won't be shut down this year. He said there are other veterans who will be shut down for surgery, though.

Well everyone who watches practice says Sutter has a wrist issue that is really hurting his faceoffs and shooting. So we'll see.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
After 70 games, Canucks this year trail last year by 1 point. We've scored 6 fewer goals for, and given up 3 more goals against.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Alex Edler is a good litmus test for judging whether someone knows what they're talking about IMO. I won't pretend to have watched the game yesterday, but he's been terrific recently. The defense would be an unmitigated disaster without him.

He's had a huge revival under Lidster to the point where he might actually be more effective all-around than he was when partnered with Ehrhoff. It's weird that there are posts questioning his league wide value. Almost like some people are setting up for a poor return to then use some Garrison-style slam tactics on the player.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
After 70 games, Canucks this year trail last year by 1 point. We've scored 6 fewer goals for, and given up 3 more goals against.

Yeah, somehow Benning arguably built a worse team than last year's disaster. That's actually impressive when you consider he traded prospects and picks for NHL roster players and threw $36M at a UFA.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Alex Edler is a good litmus test for judging whether someone knows what they're talking about IMO. I won't pretend to have watched the game yesterday, but he's been terrific recently. The defense would be an unmitigated disaster without him.

He's had a huge revival under Lidster to the point where he might actually be more effective all-around than he was when partnered with Ehrhoff. It's weird that there are posts questioning his league wide value. Almost like some people are setting up for a poor return to then use some Garrison-style slam tactics on the player.
Ever since the first time he was partnered with Tanev (which was a while ago), he's been matching Tanev in effectiveness and was better than when he played with Ehrhoff, IMO.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

That line is perfect...

Edler has been a beast for us.

Think about any game and then compare the impact/noticability of Edler vs the other team's number one Dman...

Despite his desire to destroy shinpads, he has been great...

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
The main reason this team is getting worse and worse year after year is the Sedins.

In their prime, they masked alot of weaknesses on this team.

Now they are liabilities. And was this ever in doubt , go back to 2012 and many posters including myself saw once the Sedins decline this team is screwed. And its just playing itself out.

Sedins still have 1 more year left. Shows why it was not a good idea to sign them to the recent 4 years contract

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
That line is perfect...

Edler has been a beast for us.

Think about any game and then compare the impact/noticability of Edler vs the other team's number one Dman...

Despite his desire to destroy shinpads, he has been great...

Dont agree. I notice the other teams #1 defenseman to be much more noticeable in a positive manner.

Actually the canucks #1 or best dman is Tanev not Edler.
Even though Edler plays the most.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Dont agree. I notice the other teams #1 defenseman to be much more noticeable in a positive manner.

Actually the canucks #1 or best dman is Tanev not Edler.
Even though Edler plays the most.

Yeah, the Canucks' record this year without Tanev is pretty abysmal. I think we're around 10 or 11 games below .500 without him and 5 or 6 games above .500 with him.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
The main reason this team is getting worse and worse year after year is the Sedins.

In their prime, they masked alot of weaknesses on this team.

Now they are liabilities. And was this ever in doubt , go back to 2012 and many posters including myself saw once the Sedins decline this team is screwed. And its just playing itself out.

Sedins still have 1 more year left. Shows why it was not a good idea to sign them to the recent 4 years contract

Bingo. Huge drop off from last year. It's a good sign the young players were able to improve their contributions or this year would have been a far worse. I'm not worried as much about the Sedins leaving as I was last year.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We gonna ignore the sell off of Hansen and Burrows over the final 30 here?

Just wanna prepare mentally for the spin...
Hansen & Burrows *WEREN'T* dealt at the beginning of the season. y2k's point was *RIGHT NOW* they're at a pace worse than last season. Who is spinning?

True but Benning's & Willie's solution - giving them an AHL wingers as a linemate for the big chunks of the season was like adding gasoline to a fire. It merely accelerated the decline.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Likely a rough night for the tank w NJ and Dal almost sure losses. Buff not totally out of the picture yet @ Ana.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Funny. Considering i was one of their biggest supporters before they broke out.

you think signing two 34 year olds to 7 million x 4 years is not risky?

Yes, an NHL team is composed of just two players.

And you probably still think the 14-15 season was a fluke. :laugh:

Yep. The Sedins are TOTES the reason why the team sucks right now.

Because we definitely could have used their salary to sign more foundational players like Eriksson and Sutter and Sbisa and Gudbranson and Dorsett and Prust and who knows... maybe another 6M dollar goalie to back Miller up.

We'll spend our money on foundational players and then we'll go dumpster diving to fill in our skill gaps.

Sounds like a winning formula to me! :thumbu:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Then I guess you're throwing Shorty and Garrett under the bus, who acknowledge that Edler hasn't been very good recently....for whatever reason, he's been the ice for most of the goals against in the past few games.....and that play he made on Marchand's winning goal....are you kidding me?

Of course part of the problem is that Willie has him playing 25 minutes a night, and since the rink is tilted in the third period and he spends so much time in his own zone, he just looks bagged to me.

In this was a true "rebuild" Edler at 31 is a guy you'd move in the off-season....still on top of his game, but the decline could come fast....and in any case, he'll be long gone before this team competes for anything other than early tee times in April.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Funny. Considering i was one of their biggest supporters before they broke out.

you think signing two 34 year olds to 7 million x 4 years is not risky?

I hated that contract signing personally. The year they signed it, they had a good start so Gillis rushed and got that deal done. Then they had their annual fade down the stretch.

Obviously they have been great Canucks but they have been more than compensated being overpaid 28 million for the last 4 declining years.

This years and next years performance are so not worth 7 mil a piece. I just want to get out from under those contracts and move forward with fresh faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad