TV: Stargate:Origins from MGM (original now free on youtube)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Funny enough I'm just about finished with my first re-watch of SG-1 since the series originally aired, and I'm planning on watching Atlantis after I'm done with it. I don't think I ever got past the second season of it (and I honestly don't remember much of what I did watch).

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Funny enough I'm just about finished with my first re-watch of SG-1 since the series originally aired, and I'm planning on watching Atlantis after I'm done with it. I don't think I ever got past the second season of it (and I honestly don't remember much of what I did watch).

I throughly enjoyed Atlantis. Some great characters, and I loved the separate mythos they created. It sucks that it got cancelled so early (and ended up with a rushed finale, as SciFi kept not making up their mind as to the fate of the show).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I throughly enjoyed Atlantis. Some great characters, and I loved the separate mythos they created. It sucks that it got cancelled so early (and ended up with a rushed finale, as SciFi kept not making up their mind as to the fate of the show).

Personally I consider Atlantis the weakest of the 3 Stargate shows. And most of that was David Hewlett saving it. I mean liked it, but I found SG-1 and Universe to be superior (for very different reasons).

Anyways, I don't understand how this new show is supposed to work. Langford never knew how the gate worked, which is the whole point of the movie. Yes they got lucky in 45 with Ernest Littlefield, but Catherine Langford didn't know that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Loved SG-1 until the whole Ori storyline came up ,, It nosedived in quality after that

Atlantis was hit or miss for me. Again wasn't fond of Wraith and such storyline but it was watchable

That 3rd series I gave up on early on and I dont believe it made it past 2 seasons

But the first 7 or so seasons of SG-1 was very entertaining Scifi

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Going to wait till all 10 are up and watch it in one shot. Heard it's not very good but oh well, still going to watch it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Finally got around to watching Orgins.

Woof, it was far from good, but it's Stargate, and it brought back a lot of memories from my favorite show growing up, so i'm glad I watched it.

Praying one day they bring back the series.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
sounds like this is a test run

Lots of the reports coming out of this and MGM sounds like a new series is an eventuality, not a possibility. Stargate was basically the flag ship franchise for MGM tv studios until the bankruptcy put a halt on it. They clearly want to get back into it.

Question is where do they go from here? Prequel is not a long term plan with established backstory. So you have to go sequel or reboot. I have trouble seeing a reboot work right now since throwing out SG-1/Atlantis/Universe stories had a lot of backlash when Emmerich got involved in the potential movie sequels back in 2014 before they were canned. So sequel. How do you sequel it now? In the Milky Way would prove difficult to acquire new fans as it would be modern day, but we have communication stones, Prometheus class ships, a major ally in the Free Jaffa Nation, and we've seen lukewarm reception to a new enemy in the Ori. Hard to pull off. So go to a new galaxy Atlantis style? Will feel a lot like Atlantis and many of the same problems exist. Go to new locale cut off Universe style? Could it work? I personally LOVED Universe but overall the reception was not great.

One perhaps intriguing possibility might be a limited run (mini-series) to conclude Universe. Robert Carlyle's series just got cancelled, Elsye Levesque, David Blue, Louis Ferriera, Jamil Walker Smith, Jennifer Spence, Peter Kelamis have mostly been guest stars here and there. Patrick Gilmore is a star on another Vancouver shooting series produced by ex-Stargate people so might be able to work that. Ming-Na Wen would be hardest one to get back for anything, but the ending of Universe gives them a chance to kill off whoever they couldn't get back. This might be a nice way for them to do a fan service AND then reintroduce the Stargate universe (and the acquired technologies/allies/enemies) leading into a new series.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lots of the reports coming out of this and MGM sounds like a new series is an eventuality, not a possibility. Stargate was basically the flag ship franchise for MGM tv studios until the bankruptcy put a halt on it. They clearly want to get back into it.

Question is where do they go from here? Prequel is not a long term plan with established backstory. So you have to go sequel or reboot. I have trouble seeing a reboot work right now since throwing out SG-1/Atlantis/Universe stories had a lot of backlash when Emmerich got involved in the potential movie sequels back in 2014 before they were canned. So sequel. How do you sequel it now? In the Milky Way would prove difficult to acquire new fans as it would be modern day, but we have communication stones, Prometheus class ships, a major ally in the Free Jaffa Nation, and we've seen lukewarm reception to a new enemy in the Ori. Hard to pull off. So go to a new galaxy Atlantis style? Will feel a lot like Atlantis and many of the same problems exist. Go to new locale cut off Universe style? Could it work? I personally LOVED Universe but overall the reception was not great.

One perhaps intriguing possibility might be a limited run (mini-series) to conclude Universe. Robert Carlyle's series just got cancelled, Elsye Levesque, David Blue, Louis Ferriera, Jamil Walker Smith, Jennifer Spence, Peter Kelamis have mostly been guest stars here and there. Patrick Gilmore is a star on another Vancouver shooting series produced by ex-Stargate people so might be able to work that. Ming-Na Wen would be hardest one to get back for anything, but the ending of Universe gives them a chance to kill off whoever they couldn't get back. This might be a nice way for them to do a fan service AND then reintroduce the Stargate universe (and the acquired technologies/allies/enemies) leading into a new series.
It would have to be a reboot of some sorts with the gate on Earth and in Colorado. With all the history from the previous stargate shows. Bring back the original cast aside from RDA who is too old.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
A reboot of Sg1, or anything that has been established is going to lead to wide spread revolt.

SG has flaws, however, keeping the continuity in place through the three shows is an established and fundamental theme through out the entire series.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It would have to be a reboot of some sorts with the gate on Earth and in Colorado. With all the history from the previous stargate shows. Bring back the original cast aside from RDA who is too old.

The original cast would not come back. Michael Shanks has certainly moved on (starring on another show right now, never seemed that attached considering he left for a season as well). Amanda Tapping has moved more into producing and directing that acting. Don S Davis obviously can't come back as he passed away a few years ago. Christopher Judge is the only one who would even consider it (and the only one I notice is still really involved with Stargate stuff such as the twitter campaign). As you mention no chance for Richard Dean Anderson.

A straight reboot is unlikely as I said because of the fan backlash. We saw how angry people got with the proposed Emmerich sequels, and those were just ingnoring the shows and bringing back original movie cast. Imagine wiping out SG-1 just to remake it as a show without the big budget movie backing? It would be a disaster from the word go, IMO.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The original cast would not come back. Michael Shanks has certainly moved on (starring on another show right now, never seemed that attached considering he left for a season as well). Amanda Tapping has moved more into producing and directing that acting. Don S Davis obviously can't come back as he passed away a few years ago. Christopher Judge is the only one who would even consider it (and the only one I notice is still really involved with Stargate stuff such as the twitter campaign). As you mention no chance for Richard Dean Anderson.

A straight reboot is unlikely as I said because of the fan backlash. We saw how angry people got with the proposed Emmerich sequels, and those were just ingnoring the shows and bringing back original movie cast. Imagine wiping out SG-1 just to remake it as a show without the big budget movie backing? It would be a disaster from the word go, IMO.

Shanks left because his wife (And later co-star), Lex Doig, and he were having a child. He always planned on coming back. RDA left because of chronic health issues, specifically his legs. When his health got bad, he retired to spend time with his daughter and family. Tapping has built her entire career around SG, and is still very much active in the fan community. Judge is in the same position as Tapping, he built his career around SG, and is still very much active in the fan community.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Shanks was apart of 198 of the 213 eps, as RobBrown stated above he left for a brief time because of family reasons. He was a HUGE staple of this franchise and bled it. The show he was in the last 5 years just ended so he is certainly available to join Stargate again if the chance presented itself.

Tapping while dabbing in directing a lot now still does her fair share of acting, she is going to be the lead villain in the 3rd season of Travelers that is filming now. She would absolutely jump at a chance to come back to Stargate, even if it's not as a team member who goes off world.

Judge, like you said would come back in heartbeat.

They could also bring in stars from Atlantis, Joe Flanigan isn't doing much these days...

Truthfully I forgot how SG1 ended, I don't want to remember since i'll end up re-watching the whole thing one of these days, but I'm sure they can bring back the whole Stargate program. Have a gou'ld come back and start up the story again we keeping all the history that happened in SG1 alive.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Flannigan is a huge supporter of tg franchise. He actively tried to buy the rights to Atlantis when MGM went tits up, but got shooed away by the new faces at MGM when they recovered from backruptcy.

He's coming to the Calgary con this year, I plan on asking him about potential plans to revive the series and all.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Joseph Mallozzi, one of the main writers and producers of all 3 series, has been super active on the SG subreddit. He has also been releasing a ton of Atlantis concept art as of late. He was the primary organizer behind the recent SG Twitter campaign.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
after watching all ten episodes I guess two complaints--1 acting--now I realize that no stargate will ever get confused with the Godfather or Gone with the .Wind--but even by stargate standards it was bad. Curious to know where the budget went--it did not appear on the screen--the budget leaked on line does not add up to what we saw

it would have been nice for someone from the series or movie to appear at the end to sort of link it.

When there is a new series I hope the directors are not involved

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
As far as I know, none of the series cast or crew were affiliated with Origins what so ever.

If you're interested in seeing more SG, true SG and not w/e this was, write or email MGM and let them know. Post on their Twitter, if they have one.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
that was painfully obvious--they saw it and ran

Next to reboots, the prequel train is the worst thing to happen to Hollywood in the last 15 years.

Plus, going the prequel route with a show like SG is bound to end in disaster, as it most clearly did here. SG has so much established lore, you have to abide by it, or you should considering the franchise spanned 3 movies, 3 series (no one counts infinity as canon) and 13-14 years, and through out that time massive efforts were taken to keep the continuity right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad