TV: Stargate Franchise

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Universe deserved better. It had an interesting plot, some interesting characters, and amazing atmosphere and set design.

Carlyle and Ferreira were well cast in their roles. Blue was good, but I wish they hadnt paired him up with Armstrong, who was the worst part of the show. It didnt help that they ripped her arch straight from firefly.

The first season was meh, but I attribute it in part to the descesion to give the cast those teleport stones. It was an interesting dynamic, but it took the story away from the rough and deadly existence the crew had to face on the destiny. Season 2 fixed a lot of the problems season 1 had, and you could really see where the show was going.

There were a number of excellent episodes. The two or three episodes where they dealt with the small colony of destiny crew going missing and returning was great. The episode where they finally figure out how destiny has been able to travel for long is probably the best episode of the entire series. Any of the episodes involving the blue aliens or the drones were good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I never got past the first episode of Universe. I liked Atlantis but thought some of the episodes were a bit up and down. The characters in Atlantis were strong I thought though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
(Edit: I thought that it was a movie, not a web series. Oh well.)

It looks like the quality of movie that spends only a couple of weeks in theaters and arrives on OnDemand only two months later. Literally the only appealing aspects of it are the familiar elements that it copied: especially the music and the stargate being raised from the sand (which seems almost identical to a shot from the original movie). Even the CGI looks like it was just copied from the original movie or TV show.

It looks less like a movie about the stargate and more a buddy picture about a team of archaeologists that just happens to have the stargate as the backdrop. Unless they're going to retcon the lore, we know that she's not going to go through the stargate (or else she would've mentioned it later in life), so it seems like it's just a prop for her and her friends to be chased around.

Not that releasing it at any other time would've made it successful, but doing so during the Olympics isn't a great sign, either.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Wait, so are they retconning Catherine and the entire history? I don't understand what's happening here. I know Germany had the DHD, but they sure the hell never had the Stargate. We also know that the gate was only ever activated the once when Littlefield went through.

Also, im pretty sure Catherine would have brought up fighting literall Nazi's, at some point during the show.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I never got past the first episode of Universe. I liked Atlantis but thought some of the episodes were a bit up and down. The characters in Atlantis were strong I thought though.

SGU was awesome. The only parts I didn't like were anything involving the tele stones and earth.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I have a bad feeling that they are going to outright retcon A LOT of stuff in this.

- The gate design (obviously, they've already shown it)
- When the gate is first activated (Obviously, they've already shown this)
- How the gate is first activated (THIS, This brings in a lot of problems, because no one knows what the gate does, nor how it even works. It's obvious the DHD is going to be used in this webseries. If the DHD is used then people already know the gate works, et cetera.)
- The Goa'uld are likely going to be heavily retconned, if there even mentioned, or not written out completely.
- Catherine's experiences with the Stargate. We already have her fighting literal Nazi's over the Stargate........
- Who had the Gate and when. We KNOW the Germans had the DHD, then the Russian's got their hands on it after the war, but the Stargate was never in the hands of the German's.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Stargate Franchise is IMO easily the best sci-fi series (all of them plus movies) in my lifetime. I will DEFINITELY be watching these. However, it's doomed to fail because of the setup...10 minute web seires that will be released weekly? Wtf. I'll wait till they are all out and watch it as a movie in one shot. I'll watch this for the old school SG1 music itself.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Definitely. Very poor trailer and it seems to be very poor series also.
But after i looked to Wikipedia , it shows, every episode will have only 10 minutes. And its a web serie.

Oh, it's a web series? I thought that it was a movie. Well, that explains a lot... and excuses some of my criticism (though not all). I might've watched a movie at some point for free, but I'm not going to bother with a 10-min-per-episode web series (unless, maybe, they release it pieced together as a movie and it gets decent reviews).

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are among my top 10 favorite t.v. shows. Stargate Universe I watched all episodes of it even though I didn't like it. Stargate Origins wasn't good. Stargate Infinity wasn't good.

Window of Opportunity I think is my favorite episode of the franchise.

Reactions: Leonardo87

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
From what I can tell the biggest obstacle with the franchise coming back is budget.

MGM has done everything they could possibly do to ignore the franchise. And it's sad considering you have the likes of Mallozzi and Flanigan pushing hard to get new media out.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I watched an episode some times ago, unfortunately not from beginning and not to end. And it still bugs me, how it ended.

The crew was in spacecraft traveling in universe. But it seems, they were there locked forever. At first they celebrated New Year together, every one was happy, laughing. But as the time go on, the mood changed. Year after year they were more and more depressed. Any clue, what episode could it be?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I watched an episode some times ago, unfortunately not from beginning and not to end. And it still bugs me, how it ended.

The crew was in spacecraft traveling in universe. But it seems, they were there locked forever. At first they celebrated New Year together, every one was happy, laughing. But as the time go on, the mood changed. Year after year they were more and more depressed. Any clue, what episode could it be?

I bieve this is the series finale.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Been re-watching Stargate Atlantis. My favorite franchise of all time. I heard there could be a 4th series.

Truth be told I was a head moderator on the SyFy forums before they disbanded. Was good times watching the shows and discussing with peers.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Been re-watching Stargate Atlantis. My favorite franchise of all time. I heard there could be a 4th series.

Truth be told I was a head moderator on the SyFy forums before they disbanded. Was good times watching the shows and discussing with peers.

Universe would be the 4th series, as SG: Infinity technically exists.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Universe would be the 4th series, as SG: Infinity technically exists.
Yeaaa....people leave that one off for a reason :laugh:

Been rumored for years and years...can't see it ever happening which is a shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad