Starcraft remastered

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Really?? Hmmm odd. Cant imagine they get much action.

Well we do know that's there is a lot of betting on GSL games in Korea despite gambling being illegal in the country. It's one of the major black marks on egaming as we've seen with Life and others. Hard to say how much action on the major legitimate sites get. But then again a buddy of mine regularly bets on things like Australian Hockey and South Korean basketball on those sites so who knows.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
SC2's gameplay was better, but the storyline was all kinds of bad. It's almost like Blizzard was ashamed of SC1 a d BW so they took the retcon brush to the story.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Seems like at the moment 1.18 is not supporting win7 64bit. So that may actually be my issue and not the graphics card.

Sep 19, 2008
I did a bit better yesterday and started to develop a strategy against the computer and their damn rushes. Followed what rand said... The whole point is to build fast

Last game I played I built up nearly 200 units including twelve carriers and Dragoons... And they all got wiped out. Then the computer struck back at me when I was getting reinforcements. But I'm definitely making progress after being gone for so long

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I'm so going to get this. Brood War was a game where I was at the top of my gaming "career".

Any Iccup ladder gamers here? Old school stuff.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I did a bit better yesterday and started to develop a strategy against the computer and their damn rushes. Followed what rand said... The whole point is to build fast

Last game I played I built up nearly 200 units including twelve carriers and Dragoons... And they all got wiped out. Then the computer struck back at me when I was getting reinforcements. But I'm definitely making progress after being gone for so long

How many CPU players are you trying to take on? Just build fast zealots or if you're facing multiple CPU players I imagine cannons are required.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I recently found out you can actually bet on GSL Starcraft games on major betting sites.

Makes watching the games that much more interesting.

Have only bet on Starcraft a few times but bet on DOTA quite a bit.

Sep 19, 2008
Best way is just figuring out the keyboard shortcuts so I can mass produce workers and get resources asap

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm so going to get this. Brood War was a game where I was at the top of my gaming "career".

Any Iccup ladder gamers here? Old school stuff.

I unfortunately peaked with Warcraft 2 when there was no battle.net and it was just playing over LAN with with friends. Could never get the hang of Starcraft the same way I had with WC2.

And when they did release a battle.net version of WC2, I've always been amazed at how while people in general are so damn good at SC the polarity flips and they utterly suck at WC2. In particular so many seemed to focus on building expensive griffon riders/dragons which were just horrible units.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Yeah, South-Korea is much ahead on eSports scene compared to rest of the world. Just one example, they managed to get attendance of 120000 to watch StarCraft finals outdorrs in 2005. Few years back (don't know the situation now), eSports were the second most popular sport that people watched, only behind football (soccer).

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Best way is just figuring out the keyboard shortcuts so I can mass produce workers and get resources asap

bro, just supply depot or bunker block any base openings, or non stop toss turrets. AI can't handle zero entry path, then sit back wait till all resource is gone and slowly ROLL OUT.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
bro, just supply depot or bunker block any base openings, or non stop toss turrets. AI can't handle zero entry path, then sit back wait till all resource is gone and slowly ROLL OUT.

Yes the AI strategy in Starcraft and many other strategy games is to follow a set path to build x number of troops (where x increases depending on difficulty) then send them in on a full frontal assault. That's why they all hit you at the same time. Unless you're an expert you're likely not going to match the AI in building speed and multi tasking, so the trick is to play it like a tower defense game.

Sep 19, 2008

I'll try.

High Templars are making it difficult to attack protoss bases haha. But if they're trying to come at you and you're protoss that electric storm can devastate an incoming army.

All I've been doing is playing against cpu lately to prepare for online. Yes I usually barricade the entrance but computer occasionally zergling rushes.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'll try.

High Templars are making it difficult to attack protoss bases haha. But if they're trying to come at you and you're protoss that electric storm can devastate an incoming army.

All I've been doing is playing against cpu lately to prepare for online. Yes I usually barricade the entrance but computer occasionally zergling rushes.

Oh. Barricading won't really prepare you to play online. As long as you've learned what every building/unit does, you might as well start playing online - you'll be matched up against other newbies, and you'll learn faster that way.

The one big thing I would recommend is not to get stingy on workers - build the max number of workers you need as soon as you can. Also send a scout probe out right away - if you see a rush coming, go into mass producing units/defensive towers right away. If they do a quick 2nd base, just build a bunch of units and rush'em.

You can also watch a couple of professional games here, which will give you a general understanding of overall strategy and a couple of effective tactics for your race:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2017_Global_StarCraft_II_League_Season_2/Code_S

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I brought up WarCraft (the original game, aka WarCraft: Orcs & Humans) earlier in the thread and quite a few people joined me in wishing that that would be updated, as well, so I'll just put this here.

I installed and ran it yesterday and was surprised to find just how outdated the controls are. You have to hold down Ctrl in order to lasso units and the game doesn't even use the right mouse button. To give orders, you need to either use hotkeys or mouse over to the commands menu on the left, left click on the one that you want (move/attack/repair/etc.) and then click on the target location. It's a huge drag.

Thankfully, I discovered that you can emulate more modern controls (like in WarCraft II and StarCraft) by following instructions to use the 3rd-party utility AutoHotkey:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Warcraft:_Orcs_&_Humans#AutoHotkey_script_for_better_mouse_controls

Basically, when you hold down the left mouse button to try to lasso, it simulates a Ctrl press for you, and when you right-click to send your units, it simulates pressing a few of the game's order hotkeys for you (ex. 'A' and 'R' so that combat units attack the target and peons repair the target).

Now, you can lasso units without holding Ctrl and can move or assign units by simply right-clicking on the target location (though, because of limitations with the emulation, you have to use the middle mouse button to assign peons to harvesting). This makes WarCraft much more playable and enjoyable. If you've felt frustrated trying to play the game before, try it now.

BTW, I found a few ways to improve the instructions (for one, the original instructions had the limitation of playing in a window, but, now, you can play in fullscreen, as well), so I largely re-wrote that section of the wiki last night. If you need any assistance in getting AutoHotkey working, I'm happy to help out (especially because I care to learn of any way to improve the instructions further).

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The new x feature is awesome. If you create a game online and add #×2 to the title you increase the game speed by 2 or you can go 1.5 3 4. If you got past 4.5 it's too choppy.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well I'm done playing the Starcraft+Broodwar campaigns, never actually fully beat them before, so yeah I'd love to see the same done with Warcraft 3 now! Though I guess it's only $10 for the game+expansions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad