Movies: Star Wars: Rogue One or The Force Awakens

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
First off:

There is no right or wrong answer. It is just purely personal opinion and preference and this poll is just for fun........so hopefully we can keep this civil...

which film did you enjoy more and why?

I enjoyed both films.

here are some random thoughts.

R1
I felt that R1 was a needed departure into a more gritty, seedy, dark area of the rebellion. For me personally I felt the characters had little depth, were rushed and tough to connect with. Andor was probably the weakest link in the movie for me and I felt that well Chirrut came off as being annoying at first....he really grew on me throughout the movie and was the only character I felt an on screen connection with. Jyn was ok but I could not connect with her character, she was not very inspiring in terms of her speeches/onscreen presence, very limited background story to see what led up to her being a criminal (besides her escape at the beginning) and overall didn't really capture me as a viewer. K-2s0 was fun comedic relief. Vader's first appearance was cringe worthy with his lame pun but he totally redeemed himself at the end ! The battle on Scarif was well done and entertaining. I would still rank it behind the battle of Hoth and probably on par with the battle for Endor.

Could go on and on with what I enjoyed and what I didn't but overall it was an entertaining movie and great addition to the franchise.

TFA
Good and the bad for me. The bad is obvious....it was pretty much a remake which was cloned upon previous movies. The good.....it worked out very, very well and was a highly entertaining/fun movie to watch which helped me forget about the first criticism. Kylo Ren was the weakest link in the movie for me and I found watching him on the screen was akin to nails on a chalkboards. Rey and Finn, while not Oscar worthy were very serviceable and I could make a connection with their characters to bring me into the film. Besides the obvious bad plot it was a fun movie for me to watch.

final thoughts

R1 was the better film in the sense of plot but TFA was more enjoyable for me personally to watch due to the flow of the film, characters and obvious nostalgia. But I still enjoyed them both.... I think after I watch Rogue One a few more times I will be able to pick the one that will stand the test of time for me.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Rogue One, slightly. I thought both were mediocre movies that I rank about the same as Revenge of the Sith. Don't think I'll ever go out of my way to watch either of them again. I put R1 above TFA because TFA was a complete rehash of ANH and at least R1 tried to be more original.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Voted TFA. Everything about it was really good to me. I don't care about how many people wanted to nitpick it for being just like ANH. I really enjoyed it. All the characters were there. BB-8 was the R2-D2 lovable robot. The Solo scene was terrific. I loved everything about it.

Really enjoyed Rogue One, but loved TFA more because how much I connected with all the characters. Rogue One was a different monster where it showed the sacrifice/battle going on prior to ANH. Really great flick, but I liked TFA more.

I will rewatch both many times.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
It's pretty close for me. I give the slight edge to TFA because of the vastly superior characters compared to R1, but I enjoyed R1 overall. The options of the poll were not great though, 3 of them were viable options for me.

I think my rankings (normalizing it such that ESB a 10 and ATOC is a 0) go like this:

ESB: 10
ANH:9
ROTJ: 9

TFA: 7
R1: 6.5

RoTS: 3
TPM: .5
AOTC: 0

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I liked TFA more. I'm not all that bothered about it being so similar to ANH like many others here. The characters in it are simply better, and it's a movie I could imagine watching a few times. Can't say I'll ever watch RO again; the first hour was painful for me to sit through.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Rogue One KILLS The Force awakens.

The force awakens was FULL of cheese just trying to make the fan boys happy.

I expect episode 9 to be much more darker and realistic. (I.e the Rogue one way)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I liked TFA more. I'm not all that bothered about it being so similar to ANH like many others here. The characters in it are simply better, and it's a movie I could imagine watching a few times. Can't say I'll ever watch RO again; the first hour was painful for me to sit through.

The bold seems crazy to me. Jyn and Cassian were better written and infinitely better acted than anyone in The Force Awakens.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I enjoyed both. I might give TFA a slight edge, but I've only seen RO once, so that might change as I watch it more.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Both mediocre, but I give the edge to TFA because it wasn't as boring.

Star Trek is the better franchise IMO.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
The "TFA is just a remake of ANH" crowd makes me laugh. There's a few similarities, yes, but y'all act like it was an exact duplicate.

Rogue One was a throwaway movie with a bunch of throwaway characters that really didn't add anything other than more money to the Disney bank accounts. Star Wars was always about the characters and the journey, but when your characters are awful there's no real reason to care.

The action scenes and K2SO were cool though.

tl;dr TFA > R1

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Rogue One. Serious, sweet, fills some of the plot holes in ANH.

TFA is way too silly with the dialogue and made me feel like I was just watching a kids movie. The acting was quite good though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The "TFA is just a remake of ANH" crowd makes me laugh. There's a few similarities, yes, but y'all act like it was an exact duplicate.

Title scroll. Opening shot is a Star Destroyer enveloping the field of view. Secret plans are whisked away from a black cloaked villain by entrusting them to a droid. The droid, lost in a vast desert planet, is rescued from junk merchants by an orphan. Grave danger follows our protagonist and their new friends are sold out by local merchants in a trade outpost, and the have to escape both Imperial forces and Han Solo's debts aboard the Milenium Falcon...

That's just not even the entire first act. There's countless more comparisons, as well (Starkiller Base vs. Death Star, blowing up peaceful planets, sneaking around those giant space weapons, prisoners interrogated by Vader/Kylo Ren, Luke/Finn abducted by tentacled monsters, avoiding board parties by hiding underneath deck plates, death of the mentor characters, the bar scenes, etc etc etc).

If you're more of a visual person, watch this.

"A few similarities" :biglaugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I haven't even seen Rogue 1 and it got my vote here (I just focused on the two films and ignored the Star Trek bit).

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland

If you're more of a visual person, watch this.

"A few similarities" :biglaugh:

Agreed and I love the video you posted. TFA was nothing more than a reboot of the franchise. And I think that's okay as long as the second movie doesn't also copy ESB.

2ez46a.jpg

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I liked both of them.

And btw, A New Hope rehashed all sorts of things including lifting the whole trench run from a WWII movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad