TV: Star Wars Rebels season 4

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So I know I’m super late to the party but I just finished the last season. The movies really should’ve used Ashoka and Ezra. Now they’re kindve in no man’s land and I doubt we ever get them again.
Ashoka maybe, but mostly for her ability to help further develop Anakin as a character.
Ezra definitely not. He was not a good character.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He was fine for a children's show protagonist, but that's all he was. I would not like to see him elsewhere in the Star Wars universe. He was a generic coming-of-age hero.

Yeah I’d agree actually. He wasn’t bad but there’s nothing super interesting about him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Everything with Darth Vader in it I loved. I especially loved it when he was flying his Tie Advanced in battle against the Rebels.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
They did a good job with Vader in the series, the first scene when he lifted the walkers off of himself was so well filmed. His confrontation with Ashoka was really beautifully done especially with her line "Then I will avenge his death". The common question that I get was when Anakins mask was sheared in half and we saw a relatively unscarred Anakin under it. I thought that was beautiful as well as it was how Ashoka would have seen him. Then when his eyed narrowed and he turned on her.

I wanted more Vader in the series and I think Filoni was brilliant not to have Vader chasing them across the galaxy and putting Thrawn in his place.

Its too bad that Resistance just doesn't seem to be working though.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Its too bad that Resistance just doesn't seem to be working though.

I'm having a hard time explaining my reason why I think that might be. It's because there's a difference between a kid's show and something that's PG. It's the difference between Matilda and Jumanji. Both were PG, but Matilda was because it was geared towards children and Jumanji was PG because the content itself didn't need a stronger rating.

At least, that's why I wasn't able to keep up with it. Maybe that was just the first few episodes, but definitely was my impression. TCW and Rebels had episodes that were geared towards children, but a lot of the content was just what it was.

If any of that makes sense.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm having a hard time explaining my reason why I think that might be. It's because there's a difference between a kid's show and something that's PG. It's the difference between Matilda and Jumanji. Both were PG, but Matilda was because it was geared towards children and Jumanji was PG because the content itself didn't need a stronger rating.

At least, that's why I wasn't able to keep up with it. Maybe that was just the first few episodes, but definitely was my impression. TCW and Rebels had episodes that were geared towards children, but a lot of the content was just what it was.

If any of that makes sense.
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. Clone Wars especially was a kids show, but it had some more mature themes, Rebels goes a little more towards the children spectrum, but Resistance is much more on that side.

I'd be curious to see a demographic breakdown of who watched each series to see if that's how it played out.

Reactions: Tawnos

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. Clone Wars especially was a kids show, but it had some more mature themes, Rebels goes a little more towards the children spectrum, but Resistance is much more on that side.

I'd be curious to see a demographic breakdown of who watched each series to see if that's how it played out.

I guess it's almost like Resistance talks down to kids, while the other two shows didn't (all the time, like I said, some episodes really did the same thing)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I look at Clone Wars and there was this really beautiful escalation from start to finish in that series.

I mean the first year was good, but as it continued they literally made it feel like things were getting worse and worse and darker and darker. I mean when you look at the prison rescue episodes, or Umbria which was really dark. Or the one where they infiltrated the Slave Worlds. It just felt like the Galaxy was sliding out of control or more appropriately was being manipulated into darkness. We knew what was going to happen, but some of the arcs were like, I can totally see this happening.

With Rebels it was similar, it started very kid friendly, but by the end you felt that the hero's were in real trouble.

With Resistance, maybe its the lack of three epiosde arcs, or they they're just trying to do too many things that are cute, I don't know, but it doesn't resonate with me as much, I can't think of an episode that was like amazing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's a difference between a "children's show" and a "show that's appropriate for children." It can be a bit of a spectrum, rather than a binary distinction. But compare something like Dora the Explorer to Spongebob. Obviously the target age range varies, but one is based on education and values, and the other is child-appropriate humor/entertainment.

The pilot episode of Clone Wars really did start in the "children's show" realm, and it's why it took me a long time to watch the series. Yoda is teaching lessons to the clone troopers he's leading. The rest of the series moved away from this pretty quickly, becoming more of a standard serialized drama that was appropriate for children, but did not cater towards teaching them lessons. By the end of the series it was more focused on "young adults" than children.

Rebels started a bit more focused on "young adults," but still had moments of trying to teach lessons (especially in some of the character-focused episodes). Those lessons were at least aimed at issues a teenager might face (social acceptance, self-expression, etc).

I haven't bothered with Resistance, but I've heard it's much more of a "children's show" formula.

Reactions: Tawnos

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think the best character was that little prankster robot Chopper. But since I have Scandinavian Netflix, I only get like two seasons. It's like that with a ton. You don't get the complete series, only a sample. It's ridiculous. I guess I have to go by illegal means if I want to watch it.

Sometimes it's even worse. You get season 1, 2 and 4, but not 3.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There's a difference between a "children's show" and a "show that's appropriate for children." It can be a bit of a spectrum, rather than a binary distinction. But compare something like Dora the Explorer to Spongebob. Obviously the target age range varies, but one is based on education and values, and the other is child-appropriate humor/entertainment.

The pilot episode of Clone Wars really did start in the "children's show" realm, and it's why it took me a long time to watch the series. Yoda is teaching lessons to the clone troopers he's leading. The rest of the series moved away from this pretty quickly, becoming more of a standard serialized drama that was appropriate for children, but did not cater towards teaching them lessons. By the end of the series it was more focused on "young adults" than children.

Rebels started a bit more focused on "young adults," but still had moments of trying to teach lessons (especially in some of the character-focused episodes). Those lessons were at least aimed at issues a teenager might face (social acceptance, self-expression, etc).

I haven't bothered with Resistance, but I've heard it's much more of a "children's show" formula.

I don't remember the pilot that well. Aside from seeing a lot of it when it aired with my nephews, I've watched the show a couple of times on my own, but both times I followed this guide: The Essential Clone Wars Episodes Every Star Wars Fan Should Watch

Cuts the number of episodes down to about 60 from 110 and you skip pretty much all of the "children's show" episodes.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The Clone Wars was better because you have 100x more characters available to use. Don’t have to follow around the same group every episode. Episodes feel like filler when it’s just an adventure of the week type. The Clone Wars could just cut to another group in a more interesting situation.

I do like Rebels but I think I would’ve preferred they kill of Ahsoka and Ezra for some big cause. Them surviving and not being in any of the other movies is a bit silly.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Clone Wars was better because you have 100x more characters available to use. Don’t have to follow around the same group every episode. Episodes feel like filler when it’s just an adventure of the week type. The Clone Wars could just cut to another group in a more interesting situation.

I do like Rebels but I think I would’ve preferred they kill of Ahsoka and Ezra for some big cause. Them surviving and not being in any of the other movies is a bit silly.
Yeah, the characters lack closure, and you are now going to have fans always wanting to see them back or for Lucasfilm to lean back on when they want to do fan service or nostalgia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad