Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That's an absurd notion. Shatner doesn't want to go those things anymore. That one event in the 80's left a sour taste when he dropped some truth bombs and it didn't go well with the organizer.
Are you referring to conventions? That's not what I'm talking about.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really think the people running Trek nowadays don't like Shatner, and don't like the character of Kirk. (Notice he's always de-emphasized or left out of Star Trek celebration).

Strange New Worlds is basically a way to reboot TOS without Kirk while simultaneously having a more diverse cast.

I had the same thought, that the people ruining Trek are effectively rebooting TOS here. So far, we have Spock, Uhura and Chapel going on adventures in the original Enterprise in a self-contained episode format, with even the show's title taken from the intro to TOS. Also, Pike is a dashingly handsome captain, like Kirk, but without the peacocking and womanizing qualities. It's the closest possible that they could get to rebooting TOS with a different image without actually rebooting it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I had the same thought, that the people ruining Trek are effectively rebooting TOS here. So far, we have Spock, Uhura and Chapel going on adventures in the original Enterprise in a self-contained episode format, with even the show's title taken from the intro to TOS. Also, Pike is a dashingly handsome captain, like Kirk, but without the peacocking and womanizing qualities. It's the closest possible that they could get to rebooting TOS with a different image without actually rebooting it.
Kirk was not actually a womanizer. His whole biography is a series of long term relationships where he's still on very good terms with the women because they ended due to his career. The "womanizing" he does on the show is almost all manipulation because he or his crew are in a deadly situation and he's playing an angle to save them. There's a fake version of Kirk that the people running Star Trek currently think is real.

Not to say TOS was overly kind to women in general, because it wasn't.

Reactions: Guardian17

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kirk was not actually a womanizer. His whole biography is a series of long term relationships where he's still on very good terms with the women because they ended due to his career. The "womanizing" he does on the show is almost all manipulation because he or his crew are in a deadly situation and he's playing an angle to save them. There's a fake version of Kirk that the people running Star Trek currently think is real.
You're probably right, but I think the people running Star Trek, rightly or wrongly, view Kirk as a womanizer and icon of 60's sexism.

Shatner has also made some public criticisms of "woke" which probably didn't endear him to those same people.

The reputation of Kirk as a renegade that goes against the rules is also kind of a false / exaggerated image of him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You're probably right, but I think the people running Star Trek, rightly or wrongly, view Kirk as a womanizer and icon of 60's sexism.

Shatner has also made some public criticisms of "woke" which probably didn't endear him to those same people.

The reputation of Kirk as a renegade that goes against the rules is also kind of a false / exaggerated image of him.
100%. The Kirk presented in Star Trek 2009 is a caricature based on the parody version of Kirk, not the real character. The clowns running the franchise think this is the real character because they don't actually like the show and haven't watched it much.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I was describing what I imagine other people dislike about the character. I don't consider Kirk a womanizer for the reasons that you gave, though you have to admit that the behavior in question being "almost all manipulation" isn't going to be a good reason for some people. If anything, they may feel that using his charms to manipulate women makes him a womanizer, even if it's for the noble cause of saving his crew. Of course, female characters often use their own charms against male characters, so it goes both ways.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We're basically going to get references and retcons of all of TOS's greatest hits that haven't already been defaced in STD. SNW is here to finish off the desecration.

I would say Tribbles and Gorn are locks to make appearances, but we already had them in STD.

The Romulan commander from Balance of Terror will be making an appearance.

Also, Spock will be very emotional. The writer's excuse will be that Spock was emotional in the TOS pilot, and this isn't the matured Spock we see in TOS. However, the real reason will be because it's much easier to write faux drama when everybody is emo.

Reactions: Osprey

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The reviews are in for E1 and they are almost universally good. I’m excited.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It seems to me that the fate of the franchise is riding on this show.

The Kelvinverse movies flamed out. None of the Paramount/CBS Trek shows have made a dent in pop culture and have received very "mixed" fan reactions at best.

If this show doesn't do well, I don't know what they'll do next.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems to me that the fate of the franchise is riding on this show.

The Kelvinverse movies flamed out. None of the Paramount/CBS Trek shows have made a dent in pop culture and have received very "mixed" fan reactions at best.

If this show doesn't do well, I don't know what they'll do next.

I'm worried that what they'll do next is straight up reboot TOS. With the direction that they're going in, from Discovery (modern and progressive) to Picard (somewhat modern, but nostalgic) to Strange New Worlds (old fashioned), the next step might be old fashioned and nostalgic. We already know that Kirk shows up in SNW Season 2. Are they testing the waters, hoping that reception is positive so that they might eventually spin it off into a new series of adventures of Kirk and crew? I can see that being in the cards whether or not SNW does well. If it does well, it'll validate this old fashioned, episodic direction and they'll want to keep it going once SNW is done (and I'm guessing that it'll get 3 seasons, like Picard, since how many seasons of foreshadowing Pike's fate can you really do?). If it doesn't do well, a reboot may still seem like the best option because it'll be the safest one and the only thing not tried yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Like I said in the other thread, my hopes are not high but I'll give it a shot because Anson Mount as Pike is like the one good thing this franchise has done this decade.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
good first episode. They were not joking when they said they were trying to go back to the old school feeling.

Nice to have "space, the final frontier" back

Robert April from Star Trek The Animated Series episode The Counter-Clock Incident

They should not of hired a black guy to play the role of Robert April

why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad