Star players with limited skating/speed?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Average: Jagr, Tavares
Slow: Thornton, Spezza (when he was in his prime)
Very slow: Allison, Robitaille

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Thornton has always been a strong skater. Not very fast but players his size usually aren't.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
This thread screams (as many others have pointed out) Patrik "I look like I'm wearing ankle weights when I skate" Laine

At least he has a good shot to help make up for all his other deficiencies, though. With his shot, he should be good for 35 or so goals most seasons.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The first person I thought of was Tavares.

I think skating is also overrated. There's a ton of super fast players who can't even crack their team's lineup. It's important to have good balance and maybe a good powerful first stride, but beyond that vision and hands and other hockey playing abilities dominate over pure speed. It's not often a hockey player even needs his top speed. There's short sprints to try and be the first player to touch the puck on an icing, but how is that an important enough ability that will keep you on the roster?

Speed, however, is a great complement to an already great player.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Neither Crosby or Malkin are that fast anymore. They just do everything else faster than everyone.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Since it said star players...I'd go with Laine, he's pretty below average in speed. To be fair, he's a bigger person.

On the Leafs, it's probably Kadri. He's not that fast, especially on a team with speedsters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad