Star players that are bad playoff performers

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Matthews production hasn't been anywhere near where it should be

At some point "effort" doesn't cut it. over or at a ppg only 3 times in his playoff career and tbh that shouldn't be the bar.
A PPG player is what he is, his assist rate is not very high and playoffs are lower scoring.

Twinsmagic

Jan 14, 2013
Marleau - Thornton - Stamkos
Dubois - Matthews - Marner
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Panarin
Tatar - Seguin - Rick Nash

McAvoy

Hellebuyck

Someone finish the D Corps for me

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Marleau - Thornton - Stamkos
Dubois - Matthews - Marner
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Panarin
Tatar - Seguin - Rick Nash

McAvoy

Hellebuyck

Someone finish the D Corps for me
Add in

D
Mike Green
Josi
Reed Larson
Numminen
Giordano

G
Jim Carey

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Historically, Naslund/Bertuzzi come to mind. Seemed like they were a combo of soft/uninspired play with a lack of discipline from Bertuzzi.

Jim Carey.

Two awesome years to start his career. Two awful playoffs. Worse playoff stats than any Oilers goalie.
Blew a 3-1 and 2-0 series lead to Pittsburgh in back to back years. Was atrocious in games 5 through 7 of the 95 collapse.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Sometimes you have to look past the stat sheet.

Re-thinking it, he's not the worst. But he still doesn't play up to his full capabilities.
He’s not having a great PO’s this year. Not horrible but not great.

But 89 PO games is not a small data set. If 39 playoff goals over that time is bad, then there are scores of truly putrid players out there.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Him playing most of his playoff career on a stacked line with Bergeron and Marchand has masked how disappointing he's played.
I remember those years when Crosby won the Cups with no teammates and not even a goalie. That was impressive.

And no, I am not saying Pasta is Crosby.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He’s not having a great PO’s this year. Not horrible but not great.

But 89 PO games is not a small data set. If 39 playoff goals over that time is bad, then there are scores of truly putrid players out there.

Hockey is a team game and scoring goals is just one part of it.

End of the day, it's about your team scoring more goals than the other team, four times in seven games, four rounds in a row.

It doesn't matter whether you score 5 goals a game if your team is giving up 6.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

End of the day, it's about your team scoring more goals than the other team, four times in seven games, four rounds in a row.

Sure, if all of those 6 goals against were his fault, which isn’t the case.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Not going to argue this point any further. These sorts of threads are so subjective and subject to caveats and bias. Myself included.

I’ll show myself out with one final comment.

Pasta is not a “climb on my back and let me carry you up the mountain” PO player, but anyone who wants to put him on a list of one of the worst playoff performers is wrong.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They're not stars, or even playing anymore, but.

Max Pacioretty aka Casperetty aka Patioretty aka PackYourBagsAlretty.

Andrei Markov's offensive production dropped a fair amount in the playoffs.

Tomas Plekanec wasn't very good in the playoffs, either offensively. He was still solid as a two-way centre, but the offense dropped.

• Haha
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews, 0 goals in 6 final elimination games (including game 5 vs Columbus).
It's weird how a lot of Leaf fans are so quick to point out Marner's performance in elimination games to rag on him, but Matthews' lack of production gets glossed over or has excuses made for him like, "but but at least he isn't being pushed around!".

Reactions: BraveCanadian

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I wasn't gonna drop this, but since you took a shot at a few Oilers, I'm going to.

Matthews and Marner combined: 105 points in 55 and 50 playoff games respectively.

Leon Draisaitl: 101 points in 61 playoff games

Do you think you are dropping something profound? At this point it is on par with 1967 and round 1. We get it. And personally I find no enjoyment in this discussion anymore, completely burnt out on it.

So drop what you want to drop my friend. End of the day, Oilers are in a much easier division and haven't won anything either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad