Star Ocean Second Story Remake (Released 11/2/2023)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nope. Easily the game I am most hyped for this year. I'm taking PTO for its release date, dropping my kids at school, sending my wife somewhere and just diving in. I have such fond memories of this game when I was younger.

This is my second favorite game after FF7, my eyes welled up when I watched the trailer.

Amazing story, so many great characters, fun battle and item system, and the final bosses are awesome.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That's the dream life right here
It is crazy. 10 years ago I never imagined I would have to do that for a video game I want to play. But with a family that is my #1 priority and a career where I spend 60-70 hours a week... I have to block time for the "me" things. Not getting any younger and I still love (some) videogames as much as I used to when I was 15 years old.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Downloaded the demo so I'll check it out but I won't buy it right away if I end up liking it. The original gets lost in the stellar PS1 JRPG lineup so I'm glad to see it released for people that never played it before. Re-release the Lunars so I can change my name here back to SampleMyGoods

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It is crazy. 10 years ago I never imagined I would have to do that for a video game I want to play. But with a family that is my #1 priority and a career where I spend 60-70 hours a week... I have to block time for the "me" things. Not getting any younger and I still love (some) videogames as much as I used to when I was 15 years old.

It's tough getting into a game grabbing 30-90 minutes here or there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Agreed, especially these 40-60hr games. I can't even be bothered with a 100hr game Which is why i'm a little skeptical for the 2nd part of the FF7 remake.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It is.
Agreed, especially these 40-60hr games. I can't even be bothered with a 100hr game Which is why i'm a little skeptical for the 2nd part of the FF7 remake.
That is one of the very few games where I will make the time. That game had such a profound impact on my childhood...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Metacritic reviews, youtuber early copy reviews, all glowing. Can't wait to dive in later today!

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Metacritic reviews, youtuber early copy reviews, all glowing. Can't wait to dive in later today!

God, I'm so stoked to relive this again.

About to finish Super Mario Wonder.. gotta do AC Mirage, then Sonic.. then it's gonna be this.

Save the best for last, as it were.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
God, I'm so stoked to relive this again.

About to finish Super Mario Wonder.. gotta do AC Mirage, then Sonic.. then it's gonna be this.

Save the best for last, as it were.
The game was incredible. It was both familiar, but new. The additions didn't change the core gameplay but also added enough depth to make it a fun, new experience. They also significantly raised the difficulty level. Not that the normal mode is extraordinarily challenging, but the difficulty level has increased.

Legitimately, 10/10 on this remake.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They nailed a lot of it.. I will say that a couple changes did bother me that make me wonder why they did it this way.

• Renamed some of the moves.. why am I doing Thousand Tails instead of Thousand Whips? The original names are the original names.
  • Why did they change heraldry to symbology?
  • Not letting you do the cave of trials until after the final boss is a lame change. I want all the best weapons in the game when I fight the final boss.
Those are nitpicks, but they absolutely nailed everything else.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
With Infinite Wealth and Rebirth coming out my winter and spring are set but I'll definitely get this and Baldur's Gate 3 during the summer, I thought the demo for Star Ocean was fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad