Star NHL Players whose sons were even better.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Can you think of a legitimate star player in the NHL whose son became even better? There has to be some but I can't think of any right now off the top of my head.

I think it is clear these guys are marrying the wrong sort of women :)

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
The only one I can think of off the top of my head, that you could maybe argue would be Bobby Hull.

It all depends on just how good you think Brett Hull was.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_family_relations_in_the_NHL

Bert Lindsay (was a 1st Team PCHA All Star Goalie) and Ted Lindsay is probably the only combo that qualifies under your criteria where the father was a "star" but the son even better.

Edit: Even that one probably doesn't count, as you asked for a guy who was a "star in the NHL," and Bert Lindsay was past his prime when he played briefly in the NHL.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Highly doubt it, but Paul Stastny? We'll see but I don't think he's at his old man's clip at the same age.

Brett Hull might be the closest and he'd lose an argument in his favour 100 times out of 100 against his older half.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Depending on how far you want to stretch the definition of "star", maybe Zach Parise. His dad J.P. was never considered among the games elite, but was good enough to play in two All-Star Games, and of course the '72 Summit Series.

If you just look solely at their playing careers, could an argument be made that Lynn Patrick was a better player than Lester?

CalgaryFlames1240

Jul 2, 2011
Windsor
Matti Hagman played most of his career in Finland but his few years in the NHL were pretty good. Outside his rookie season he never had less then 20 goals and 50 points. Granted he played less than 5 full seasons I guess he could be considered a star for the sake of this thread. He did play on a line with Messier and Anderson. But I think Nik Hagman (until recently) was even better then him

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Depending on how far you want to stretch the definition of "star", maybe Zach Parise. His dad J.P. was never considered among the games elite, but was good enough to play in two All-Star Games, and of course the '72 Summit Series.

If you just look solely at their playing careers, could an argument be made that Lynn Patrick was a better player than Lester?

This and Lindsay seem to be the best candidates. Kinda surprising, though... Isn't it?

I honestly figured I was forgetting someone obvious.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Depending on your definitioin of a star, I think that Leo Reise be an acceptable answer too. They both had successful hockey careers at least, with Reise Jr. by far the best.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Zach Parise

I am surprised it took 7 posts to get to this, that was the first thing that I thought of.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Reise, Lindsay, Parise, Seibert. Those are the four I can think of, and to think of four I have to extend the criteria from "nhl" to "any recognised league".

Hull? Patrick? Pffft

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Going a bit off-base I just have to mention that Douglas Murray is the grandson of former Swedish star defenseman Lasse Björn. I guess at the NHL level Murray is more accomplished, though nowhere near a star player. ;)

Lasse Björn, a contemporary of legend Sven Tumba played over 200 games for Tre Kronor, many of them as team captain, and won the Swedish Championship a record 9 times with Djurgården. Curiously enough he was known as a big, tough hard-hitting defenseman. Apparently Murray says that his granddad has learnt him a lot about what it takes to play defense!

Unquestionably, Douglas still has a very long way to catch up with his grandfather though.

So to take this topic to the next level, are there any grandsons currently eclipsing their forefathers?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Boom Boom Geoffrion was the son in law of Howie Morenz.

I think there is more debate which is better than with Brett and Bobby Hull.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Maybe we could build an argument for Bobby Holik over Jiri Holik (he was definetly a star in any meaning, but not in NHL).

Also Jiri Bubla's (Canucks) son Jiri Sleger had longer NHL career than father plus he won an olympic gold. But hardly stars outside their teams.

EDIT: It would be really interesting to take a look to the sons of former CCCP (Russian) stars, I'm sure we would find some really interesting family relations.

Notice: Father of Marian Hossa, Frantisek, was a really good though defensman and had long career in CSSR top league. I wouldnt call him a star, but his skills were recognized.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad