Star goalie trades: a thing of the past?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
6 Famous Goalie Trades in the NHL – The Draft Analyst

The demotion of Cory Schneider got me thinking. The state of star-power goaltending is pretty crappy right now in the NHL, and I wonder how much longer we'll go until we see another blockbuster move involving an established franchise goalie.

Lundqvist, Price, Bobrovsky, Quick, and several others are practically unmovable for obvious reasons mostly tied to contracts, while younger draftees or cheap free agents seem to having as big of an impact, if not bigger, than the aforementioned group that all should be bound of the HHOF.

So for perspective, I went back and revisited some of the more notable post-merger moves involving goalies.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Blockbuster trades are rare in general these days but with goalies it's even lesser so. Thanks though for this look back. Got to wonder how those Chicago teams in the 90's do with Hasek in net.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hasek was traded for Stephane Beauregard and a 4th round pick (which turned out a good player, Éric Dazé, but still), so not exactly a blockbuster.

Tuukka Rask never played a game for Toronto before he was traded from there, and while he was a 1st round pick it was still 21st overall so not exactly a Lindros/Forsberg situation.

Roy and Luongo trades are blockbuster-ish, Ranford/Moog too, but I wouldn't call the Malarchuk one a blockbuster at least not on Malarchuk's own part.

There have been young-ish goalies moved in a not distant window. Steve Mason, Cory Schneider, Luongo (again), Sergei Bobrovsky (from Philly), Sergei Varlamov, Frederik Andersen.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Cujo from Blues to Oilers was quite big wasn't it? He didn't report initially and it was heavily rumoured that he would be traded again soon. But then Oilers traded Ranford to Bruins and Joseph came to Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad