Staples: Ten "playoffs" things Oiler fans need to know

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
so by my math

scoring is down 11.4% from when crosby put up 102 pts so conner should get 90. add in teh multiplier that mcdavid is 40% better than crosby we should expect anywhere between 120 and 135pts.

cant wait

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
so by my math

scoring is down 11.4% from when crosby put up 102 pts so conner should get 90. add in teh multiplier that mcdavid is 40% better than crosby we should expect anywhere between 120 and 135pts.

cant wait

Where did the 40% multiplier come from? lol

I'm on record for 100 so I guess your 90 is a little low. :nod:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Didn't Crosby significantly outscore McDavid's in junior, even factoring in that scoring?

If we're asking what Oilers fans need to know about playoffs, I have one: what are playoffs?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Didn't Crosby significantly outscore McDavid's in junior, even factoring in that scoring?

If we're asking what Oilers fans need to know about playoffs, I have one: what are playoffs?
Crosby had 2.7 ppg and McDavid had 2.55 in a lower scoring time and more competitive league. Pretty identical really.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
10 things about the playoffs Oilers don't understand
1. When the regular season ends, some teams keep playing hockey
2. Teams play each other several times in a series, with a non-zero chance that either team wins.
3. The winner is not selected by lottery
4. The San Jose Sharks are no longer unbeatable
5. The Minnesota Wild are no longer unbeatable
6. The Chicago Blackhawks are now almost unbeatable... Wait, this isn't really that different
7. Losing streaks of 4 games will no longer be good for your team.
8. Dallas Eakins is not found anywhere in this jurisdiction
9. The prize is more valuable than a first overall pick.
10. Fans are mostly excited to watch their team play hard-nosed high-intensity hockey, and not Justin Schultz

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I just don't think of some of his generational talents as generational talents. Toews for example. Great player and one of the great captains but no where near a talent that drags the whole team up to his level. He has maxed out at 34 goals 7 years ago and a max of 76 points in his career.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
I just don't think of some of his generational talents as generational talents. Toews for example. Great player and one of the great captains but no where near a talent that drags the whole team up to his level. He has maxed out at 34 goals 7 years ago and a max of 76 points in his career.

Agreed. Toews was a weird addition to that list.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Sorry, maybe the article changed after you linked it, but this isn't really referring to playoffs?

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Stopped reading when he declared Toews a generational talent. It's debateable whether he's even a top 10 forward...

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

Generational Talents,IMO:

Gordie Howe
Phil Esposito
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Dominik Hasek
Jacques Plante
Bill Durnan
Ken Dryden
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Nicklas Lidstrom
Alex Ovechkin

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Remove Toews from the equation and Staples' point is exactly the same. (In fact removing Toews makes his numbers even more on point statistically).

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
10 things about the playoffs Oilers don't understand
1. When the regular season ends, some teams keep playing hockey
2. Teams play each other several times in a series, with a non-zero chance that either team wins.
3. The winner is not selected by lottery
4. The San Jose Sharks are no longer unbeatable
5. The Minnesota Wild are no longer unbeatable
6. The Chicago Blackhawks are now almost unbeatable... Wait, this isn't really that different
7. Losing streaks of 4 games will no longer be good for your team.
8. Dallas Eakins is not found anywhere in this jurisdiction
9. The prize is more valuable than a first overall pick.
10. Fans are mostly excited to watch their team play hard-nosed high-intensity hockey, and not Justin Schultz

:handclap:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Generational Talents,IMO:

Gordie Howe
Phil Esposito
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Jaromir Jagr
Dominik Hasek
Jacques Plante
Bill Durnan
Ken Dryden
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Bobby Orr
Doug Harvey
Nicklas Lidstrom
Alex Ovechkin

Don't even go there, at some point your going to have to draw a line on the list of the best players ever and say generational and non. You can't do that, you own't even be able to come up with the same list.

Mario, Gretz and Orr. There has been some good analysis that those three guys put up seasons that were just better than any one else by a significant margin. I call those three the big 3, you just can't argue any one else had a better season. That being said, career wise is a different topic.

Any way, don't even bother trying to make a list. Also AO doesn't belong on the list even if you could.

ps ps. Who the hell is Bill Durnan?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

i actually do think toews is generational, or close to it.... i would have to think long and hard about taking him over crosby, due to toews phenomenal 2-way ability more physical game

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I always laugh at the Toews haters.

What else does Toews have to do? Score 100 points?

Why do people only look at offense when talking about generational players?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Don't even go there, at some point your going to have to draw a line on the list of the best players ever and say generational and non. You can't do that, you own't even be able to come up with the same list.

Mario, Gretz and Orr. There has been some good analysis that those three guys put up seasons that were just better than any one else by a significant margin. I call those three the big 3, you just can't argue any one else had a better season. That being said, career wise is a different topic.

Any way, don't even bother trying to make a list. Also AO doesn't belong on the list even if you could.

ps ps. Who the hell is Bill Durnan?

Goaltender from 1943-1950.

Career Stats:

208-112-62

34 Shutouts

6 Time Vezina Trophy Winner
2 Time Stanley Cup Champion

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Goaltender from 1943-1950.

Career Stats:

208-112-62

34 Shutouts

6 Time Vezina Trophy Winner
2 Time Stanley Cup Champion

I have heard of Durnan, I was being sarcastic, just that i have barely heard of him. Why would you put him in the generational camp? 6 Vezina's is pretty amazing, but there were only 5 other goalies to compete against. so not that big of a deal

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Wasn't scoring higher in the ohl this year than crosbys draft year in the qmjhl?

Ya, but there was also quite a few higher ranked players. Players drafted higher etc.

Hard to say though, of course all the players in the OHL this year could bust. But I do think the number of high ranked players, and drafted players was substantially better this year in the OHL than the QMJHL when Crosby was there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid's draft year playoffs ppg (where the competition is generally the best) > Crosby's draft year playoffs ppg.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If he's calling Toews a generational player then wouldn't he need to put Messier on his list? Toews, as good as he is, IMO is a watered down version of the Moose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad