Staples Twitter: Staple was bored, he did a Q&A

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I'd say it's close between De Haan and Nelson.... but both are more valuable than Lee IMO.

Disagree. Nelson can score in bunches but then he goes absolute ghost for a long time and, on top of that, is one of THE most soft players I've seen. Lee is a hard find, he is big, great at causing havoc in front of the goalie, and can score in a few different ways.

I guess De Haan vs Nelson is more of a debate to me, but I take Lee over both of them easily.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Disagree. Nelson can score in bunches but then he goes absolute ghost for a long time and, on top of that, is one of THE most soft players I've seen. Lee is a hard find, he is big, great at causing havoc in front of the goalie, and can score in a few different ways.

I guess De Haan vs Nelson is more of a debate to me, but I take Lee over both of them easily.

I think Lee carries more leadership than do de Haan and Nelson.

And for me, it comes down to "who is better in the playoffs?" - Nelson disappears, de Haan messes up. Which is worse? Which is more fixable?

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011

The fact that Nelson scores in bunches and than goes ghost for periods of time I think is an attribute of him being young.

Remember, the biggest problem with young players is that they are widely inconsistent.

Nelson has shown he has what it takes to score and be an impact player for the Islanders. Once he matures and has a couple more seasons under his belt, I strongly believe he will find consistency and will be able to contribute every night.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Staple's guess at the protected list is the same as mine. Lee is the rarest commodity among the young forwards, so you have to protect him (size, skill and willingness to go to the front of the net). The Isles have no one in their pipeline like Lee that I'm aware of. And if they left him exposed he'd be taken for sure. 6'3" and 230 with hands to score from the slot doesn't grow on trees.

I wouldn't be shocked to see McPhee take Pelech over de Haan or Nelson. Pelech is big, tough, has a little bit of offense, and is a super high character leader type. Oh, and he's cheap. McPhee will get a few big name, big contract guys up front to sell tickets and score some goals and meet the Cap floor, but Pelech is a perfect guy to play the 3rd pairing and grow into a long-term player for the team.

Just had to re-post this since I'm starting to see comments about Pelech and the expansion draft.

BTW, I admit that I do not re-post my hundreds of comments that turn out to be wildly incorrect. :D

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just had to re-post this since I'm starting to see comments about Pelech and the expansion draft.

BTW, I admit that I do not re-post my hundreds of comments that turn out to be wildly incorrect. :D

I started reading this thread like it was started today. I couldn't understand the keeping of JFB but I guess if we don't re-sign Greiss, we wouldn't have a choice as we have to protect one goalie.

I think CdH has solidified his spot on the keeper list though.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
2) We're not sure if Berube is that good, but the Islanders are very high on this kid. There's a reason he was claimed off waivers when we had no need for him. Also, Greiss doesn't need to be protected as of this moment since he'll be a free agent, and I think exposing Halak would make sense considering they're probably looking to trade him anyway.

There was a big need for Berube when Isles claimed him. They lost Poulin through waivers, TBL claimed him. Then Halak was injured and Isles had to start the season b2b. There was a big need to fill a goalie spot. Berube played the 2nd game of the season.

What I find interesting, if they want to protect Berube and he doesn't play enough games he should be a UFA. Or will they sign him before the draft?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Lee
DeHaan
Nelson

Protect in that order. Nelson is too soft IMO.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
I'd rather wait till after the trade deadline to speculate who's left unprotected, but I'd rather lose a forward with d-men being more valuable, plus we have a lot of similar type forwards that can be replaced much easier. Awesome to see this team playing much better with the goaltending and coaching change :cheers:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Staple's guess at the protected list is the same as mine. Lee is the rarest commodity among the young forwards, so you have to protect him (size, skill and willingness to go to the front of the net). The Isles have no one in their pipeline like Lee that I'm aware of. And if they left him exposed he'd be taken for sure. 6'3" and 230 with hands to score from the slot doesn't grow on trees.

I wouldn't be shocked to see McPhee take Pelech over de Haan or Nelson. Pelech is big, tough, has a little bit of offense, and is a super high character leader type. Oh, and he's cheap. McPhee will get a few big name, big contract guys up front to sell tickets and score some goals and meet the Cap floor, but Pelech is a perfect guy to play the 3rd pairing and grow into a long-term player for the team.

I thought I remember posting a while back that Pelech might be attractive to LV. The Lee stuff from last summer is a bonus. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00