Staples Twitter: Staple Reddit AMA

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
THIS is blowing my mind right now.

exactly!! How is Garth not gone at the end of this year is beyond me?!?!?! I dont trust this guy running a lemonade stand. Hes grossly incompetent. Even with a President, I dont want Garth here. I dont even want Doug Weight as head coach after this year.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
If Staple doesn't want to come right out and say what he observed in the Halak dynamic with the Islanders then anything he says is left open for interpretation.

Staple came out and said on "The Hockey PDOCast" podcast last week saying there was a rift in the locker room that halak isn't the most friendly person and it wasn't just the front office that wanted him out.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
seems like he's been struggling for a while now ..your right it's been this season .... damn this has been a long season ...

People really have short memories around here. It makes no sense to trade or expose Hamonic right now. There is a reason the Oilers wanted Hamonic. He is a top pairing defenseman when he is healthy. He has been banged up all season and has been rushed back from injury twice.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Feels like there is a lot of playing both sides here...

If you think halak shouldn't be here because he's bad in the lockeroom shouldn't there also be some creedence given to we should have kept martin, frans, and or KO for the chemistry?

Why are intangibles important in some cases but not others?

Because HF BOARDS

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Staple came out and said on "The Hockey PDOCast" podcast last week saying there was a rift in the locker room that halak isn't the most friendly person and it wasn't just the front office that wanted him out.

I don't think he said there was a locker room rift, he said he was unhappy and wasn't the friendliest person. I took that as he wasn't outgoing/happy with reporters and whatnot, not that there was an issue with teammates. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly though.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Unless Staple wants to confirm what caused the rift I just write it off as personalities rubbing each other the wrong way. Maybe he called out some of his teammates for poor play in front of him (which I think could have happened). Maybe he slept with a teammates' wife. I don't know, and nobody will say. But whatever the case, Jaroslav Halak is our best option for giving Greiss a break. To not have him up here now is franchise malpractice by Garth Snow.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Until there is a better option, Halak needs to be dressing in place of Berube. What a monumental disaster this whole Berube situation has become.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
exactly!! How is Garth not gone at the end of this year is beyond me?!?!?! I dont trust this guy running a lemonade stand. Hes grossly incompetent. Even with a President, I dont want Garth here. I dont even want Doug Weight as head coach after this year.

We have a batch of regular lemonade that sells every summer, and some pink lemonade that the neighborhood can't get enough of.

But theres a new lemon tree down by the river and a brand of sugar I think would mix well. Since were going to have a record heat wave, we should put what we have back in the fridge and start picking lemons, head down to the store to get some sugar and let's start making a batch.

This batch will be sooo good, we'll never give away our "secret recipe" :sarcasm: .......

Dehydrated kids line up down the street and sweat bullets all the meanwhile

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Feels like there is a lot of playing both sides here...

If you think halak shouldn't be here because he's bad in the lockeroom shouldn't there also be some creedence given to we should have kept martin, frans, and or KO for the chemistry?

Why are intangibles important in some cases but not others?

Because HF BOARDS

No, because SALARY CAP.

Chimera is a cheaper more impactful player then Martin. I love Martin and miss him but a 20 goal scorer at almost half the price is a no brainer.

Okposo is tied with Ladd for Goals, perhaps the intangibles Ladd Brings (2 Cups) outweigh Okies.

Frans is a gem, but signing him longterm would be a mistake, bloat the books and clog the pipeline. We have bluechip playmakers on ELC's competing for roles with the club.

Also, there are 12 forwards but only 2 goalies, if a guy can stop the puck better than anyone else in the organization, then the hell with his attitude. Had he been respected and not completely undermined by Snow in the first place, perhaps his attitude would be better.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
No, because SALARY CAP.

Chimera is a cheaper more impactful player then Martin. I love Martin and miss him but a 20 goal scorer at almost half the price is a no brainer.

Okposo is tied with Ladd for Goals, perhaps the intangibles Ladd Brings (2 Cups) outweigh Okies.

Frans is a gem, but signing him longterm would be a mistake, bloat the books and clog the pipeline. We have bluechip playmakers on ELC's competing for roles with the club.

Also, there are 12 forwards but only 2 goalies, if a guy can stop the puck better than anyone else in the organization, then the hell with his attitude. Had he been respected and not completely undermined by Snow in the first place, perhaps his attitude would be better.

It's not about losing them, it's about letting assets walk for nothing will destroy your franchise. Okpokso if not part of plans should have been moved a year earlier

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Our boy Art doing an AMA (ask me anything) over on reddit right now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/5zsi5u/this_is_arthur_staple_newsday_islanders_reporter/

Takes 5 seconds to register an account (username + password, that's it) so if you have any burning questions this is the time to ask.

Thanks for posting this.

Kind of depressing to realize we are back where we were several yrs ago.... needing our top kids to develop and contribute ( Barzal/Pulock/Sorokin).

And how is Snow's job not on the line? GM for 10-11 underwhelming yrs: ;)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No, because SALARY CAP.

Frans is a gem, but signing him longterm would be a mistake, bloat the books and clog the pipeline. ter.[j/QUOTE]

After the Hall trade, Staple wrote about how fragile the isles locker room was after moving 3 popular leaders.

Then again, when discussing this yr's poir start, he discusses the lack of calm voices in the locker room. So much for Ladd's cups and the impact they have had on the nyi locker room.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It's not about losing them, it's about letting assets walk for nothing will destroy your franchise. Okpokso if not part of plans should have been moved a year earlier

For what exactly? Trading Okposo for a prospect and a 1st (and Nielsen) would've never given us our first playoff series victory.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ

We will see. If they don't makes the necessary changes we will continue to be a half ass organization.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
People really have short memories around here. It makes no sense to trade or expose Hamonic right now. There is a reason the Oilers wanted Hamonic. He is a top pairing defenseman when he is healthy. He has been banged up all season and has been rushed back from injury twice.
hey I'm a huge supporter of hammer ever since he was drafted and dubbed a poor mans Luke schenn... wasn't saying to trade him or expose him ... just bummed that he looks like he has regressed ...hope he turns it around ... I don't think we can label him a top pairing dman when healthy though ...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
For what exactly? Trading Okposo for a prospect and a 1st (and Nielsen) would've never given us our first playoff series victory.

He said "A year earlier"

Not when the Isles were in the middle of a playoff run. The Isles had a chance to negotiate an entire year prior to him becoming an UFA, yet reportedly never gave a single contract offer.

If it was determined he was not enough of a part of the core a year or more prior to being an UFA then he should have been moved. At the very least the following is one comparable deal that could have been investigated...

Brouwer for Oshie.

The Isles could have extended another year of a RW asset, possibly found a better fit for Tavares, and keep a player from Washington.

I agree, Okposo not being traded a year before when you have decided not to offer a contract... is complete asset mismanagement.

Just for the record, I also advocated for the Isles keeping Okposo once they were making a playoff run. At that point, it was already too late to move him.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He said "A year earlier"

Not when the Isles were in the middle of a playoff run. The Isles had a chance to negotiate an entire year prior to him becoming an UFA, yet reportedly never gave a single contract offer.

If it was determined he was not enough of a part of the core a year or more prior to being an UFA then he should have been moved. At the very least the following is one comparable deal that could have been investigated...

Brouwer for Oshie.

The Isles could have extended another year of a RW asset, possibly found a better fit for Tavares, and keep a player from Washington.

I agree, Okposo not being traded a year before when you have decided not to offer a contract... is complete asset mismanagement.

Just for the record, I also advocated for the Isles keeping Okposo once they were making a playoff run. At that point, it was already too late to move him.

So you trade every player who is one year away from UFA status?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So you trade every player who is one year away from UFA status?

No, just the ones that management is not even willing to make a single offer to re-sign. That's not a small point to easily dismiss.

If a player is considered part of your core than make every effort to keep him. If he is not, then trade him if possible.

(Brouwer - Oshie) clearly shows there was a market. Brandon Saad, while his situation was not as exact; may be another comparable to use as an example.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad