Staples Twitter: Staple Q&A 4/16

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Here's the breakdown from Staple's Q&A today. Going to divide it into different groupings based off the question.

Playoffs:
  • Toews' speed is a huge weapon and will continue to be important for this team in the playoffs.
  • Doesn't see a layoff being an issue this post-season.
  • Dal Colle will stay with the team until the NHL playoffs conclude for the team, no matter what Bridgeport does.
  • Says the sense from Pittsburgh is that their era is coming to a close. They might entertain moving Malkin this summer if the team does lose this opening round.

Off-Season Moves:
  • Thinks Eberle is still the likeliest of the UFA's to go, since his position is the easiest to replace with an upgrade.
  • Lehner will be cheaper than Bobrovsky no matter what, so he'd re-sign Lehner.
  • Think Hickey is likely to stay around and that Leddy will be the one moved. Doesn't think the team will have Aho playing as the 7th defenseman, thinks that's where Hickey will be used.
  • Mentions Hayes, Zuccarello, and Nyquist as potential options this off-season if top tier guys go elsewhere.
  • Says Barzal may get a Draisaitl type deal. No discount.
  • If there's a player worth offer sheeting, he says "you just do it."
  • Doesn't think Kuhnhackl stays past this year. Filppula might.
  • Still adamant that Lee will be signed before July 1.
  • Signing Karlsson should be avoided, as he's breaking down and will command too much money.

Prospects:
  • No update on Sorokin.
  • Says Wilde going to Bridgeport seems unlikely to him, though he could do an ATO if his season ends sooner rather than later.
  • Koivula unlikely to make the team next season. Maybe a late season call up if necessary.

Arena:
  • In reference to the second round being at the Coliseum: "It wasn't just TV that requested it. Coliseum has a show-jumping event that couldn't be moved, there's the whole revenue issue with suites... I think it was very strongly considered but ultimately too much had to be resolved in too short a space of time."
  • Thinks a split likely for next season. Maybe the entire playoffs will be at the Coliseum with better planning and if we make it.
  • He hasn't heard that anything has changed in regards to Belmont.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree on Karlsson. Not that he would have signed here anyway but that’s a big no.

I’d rather work on getting Lee Lehner and Nelson signed to reasonable deals.

Eberle I think will get a big offer from another team so I’d let him walk unless he comes back on a sweetheart deal which most likely isn’t happening.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Here's the breakdown from Staple's Q&A today. Going to divide it into different groupings based off the question.

Playoffs:
  • Toews' speed is a huge weapon and will continue to be important for this team in the playoffs.
  • Doesn't see a layoff being an issue this post-season.
  • Dal Colle will stay with the team until the NHL playoffs conclude for the team, no matter what Bridgeport does.
  • Says the sense from Pittsburgh is that their era is coming to a close. They might entertain moving Malkin this summer if the team does lose this opening round.

Off-Season Moves:
  • Thinks Eberle is still the likeliest of the UFA's to go, since his position is the easiest to replace with an upgrade.
  • Lehner will be cheaper than Bobrovsky no matter what, so he'd re-sign Lehner.
  • Think Hickey is likely to stay around and that Leddy will be the one moved. Doesn't think the team will have Aho playing as the 7th defenseman, thinks that's where Hickey will be used.
  • Mentions Hayes, Zuccarello, and Nyquist as potential options this off-season if top tier guys go elsewhere.
  • Says Barzal may get a Draisaitl type deal. No discount.
  • If there's a player worth offer sheeting, he says "you just do it."
  • Doesn't think Kuhnhackl stays past this year. Filppula might.
  • Still adamant that Lee will be signed before July 1.
  • Signing Karlsson should be avoided, as he's breaking down and will command too much money.

Prospects:
  • No update on Sorokin.
  • Says Wilde going to Bridgeport seems unlikely to him, though he could do an ATO if his season ends sooner rather than later.
  • Koivula unlikely to make the team next season. Maybe a late season call up if necessary.

Arena:
  • In reference to the second round being at the Coliseum: "It wasn't just TV that requested it. Coliseum has a show-jumping event that couldn't be moved, there's the whole revenue issue with suites... I think it was very strongly considered but ultimately too much had to be resolved in too short a space of time."
  • Thinks a split likely for next season. Maybe the entire playoffs will be at the Coliseum with better planning and if we make it.
  • He hasn't heard that anything has changed in regards to Belmont.

Dude...

Awesome job. Was going to check this out, but no need to anymore after this.

Problem with Staple is that so much of his "reporting" is conjecture and opinion. Not blaming him so much since as we know Lou is the Franklin Mint of information leakage, but still...Hard to take much of this at face value.

So I don't care how "adamant" Staple is about Lee resigning...We'll believe it when we see it.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I want to sign Nelson AND Hayes lol

If we sweep the pens, we will be an attractive destination for free agents imo

Reactions: danteipp

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I agree with Staple on about everything. I'd like to sign Nelson, but it's going to be costly. There's Duchene, Nelson, Hayes, and nothing. And the playoffs indicate that Nelson is a cut above Hayes.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Nelson is the one guy I think they made a mistake on. I realize he's not the ideal player to move forward with but it has always been pretty evident that they'll have no choice but to re-sign him - or at least attempt to. Stripped down of everything else, there are simply no viable replacements either inside or outside the organization.

The Islanders have room for for one marquee FA and even if that FA is Duchene, they can move Brock to the 3rd line and create a relatively balanced Top 9. And, if it happens to be Panarin, they slot Brock as their #2C and have a very strong Top 6. Ditto with guys like Hayes, Dzingel, etc. None of them preclude having Nelson on the team.

The fact that he's doing so well now only solidifies what we already knew - we really have to re-sign Nelson. Otherwise, we have a real problem down the middle. If we re-sign Brock, we can fill in the #3C with the 2019 version of Filppula....even if that is Filppula himself. Not too worried there. And if Koivula needs to be a mid season injury call up, great. Let him show his mettle at that point.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I want to sign Nelson AND Hayes lol

If we sweep the pens, we will be an attractive destination for free agents imo

If we can't land big fish, that's absolutely what I'd want. The problem to me regarding Hayes is that he might want the opportunity to be more than a third liner at this point in his career.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Right. Didn't imagine Brock Nelson contributing when he wasn't scoring before this year.

**** Devon Toews, seafoam is the real stud.

We went to the same university. Coincidence? I think not.

Fun fact, when I was back in school I saw Toews and some other QU players at Chipotle and Toews was the only one not eating Chipotle. Take that for you will...

I also saw Lee, Hickey, and I think Nelson? at a QU hockey game the year or the year after we drafted Toews.

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
This is somewhat comforting to read through because I will be honest, I have had a growing sense of worry with pretty much all of our impending UFA's. Can't imagine why that would be......

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
We went to the same university. Coincidence? I think not.

Fun fact, when I was back in school I saw Toews and some other QU players at Chipotle and Toews was the only one not eating Chipotle. Take that for you will...

I also saw Lee, Hickey, and I think Nelson? at a QU hockey game the year or the year after we drafted Toews.

It takes a Quinnipiac alum to believe that polling reality is identical to reality.

Reactions: seafoam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad