Stanley Cup wins early in the career

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
While players like Lanny McDonald and Ray Bourque ended their careers with the first Stanley Cup victory, I was thinking players who have completely opposite career that way. Winning the Cup early, and then no team success. Mainly with players who had long career, not necessarily star players.

Jaromir Jagr - Cup wins in his first two years, since then 15 seasons without one
Alexei Kovalev - Cup in his second year and drought after that.
Theoren Fleury - Cup in his rookie year
Martin Gelinas - Cup in his first full season, 17 years of career after that
Brian Rolston - Cup in his rookie year

Chris Chelios was set for this for some time, until he won his second Cup in 2002 at the age of 40 (then third in 2008)

Of the players listed, Kovalev and Rolston are of course active NHLers, Jagr active player too, but worth of mentioning I think.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Adam Deadmarsh was 21 when he won with the Avs in -96.
Traded to Kings prior to Avalanche's second Cup in -01.

Derick*

Getzlaf could end up like this with the way the Ducks look.

I wonder how players like this feel. Sometimes players win it young, become a superstar, and never win it as a superstar. Do you think this bothers them?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
alexander karpovtsev :puppy:

loob too, as mcdonald, won the cup in his last nhl game, but he was 29

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe

I wonder how players like this feel. Sometimes players win it young, become a superstar, and never win it as a superstar. Do you think this bothers them?

Depends. If they played 10 minutes per game on the 4th line, then it probably bothers them and they are very hungry to win another one.
If they played an instrumental role (like Getzlaf and Jagr) in their win, then probably not much.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Mikita Stan
Gelinas Martin
Sutter Brent
Svoboda Petr
Buchberger Kelly
Jagr Jaromir
Leclair John
Brisebois Patrice
Esposito Tony
Fleury Theo
Langway Rod
Stewart Nels
Hill Sean
Kovalev Alexei
Roach John
Dowd Jim
Hicke Bill
Maki Chico
Mceachern Shawn
Karpovtsev Alexander
Lalor Mike
Rolston Brian
Thompson Tiny
Brunet Benoit
Conacher Pat
Fleming Reggie
Grant Danny
Haller Kevin
Hillman Wayne
Kurvers Tom
Macadam Al
Mackell Fleming Mac
Smith Rick

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Eric Staal and Cam Ward fit into this. Both 21 years old. Ward's rookie season and Staal's sophomore season. Lots of time left in their careers. Andrew Ladd was another young guy on the team but he managed to win the Cup again last season.

Corey Perry*

Just because we are going through a tough few years, doesn't mean we will be bad forever.

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
you could bring up Gordie Howe. 16 seasons after his last Stanley.

but then again he had already played 9 seasons (with 4 cups (and of course 2 WHL Championships after that)), so maybe not.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
Todd Sloan played only 29 games for the 48/49 Leafs and wasn't included on the Stanley Cup engraving. He won one in his first full season (50/51) and his last season (60/61).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its a long ways off, but Toews and Kane won it in their third season. The Hawks are flirting with .500 so far this year, not unusual at the beginning of the season of a Cup champ, but if this is their only Cup it wouldn't be the first time the Hawks had two youngens on their team only to never win again (1961)

Mike Rupp was a rookie in 2003. He scored one goal that playoff, the Cup winner! I think the Pens have more Cup(s) in them, but Rupp wasn't on the 2009 team so 2003 is his last so far

Brent Sutter won the Cup in his first two years as an Islander and never won again

Joe Murphy won it very early, although he was so full of himself he probably won it in his head a time or two afterwards.........

Bill Barber won it in season 2 & 3. Was a big part of them, but despite close calls never won again

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
I made an account just to reply to this Thread. I was very surprised Gary Roberts wasn't mentioned.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Flem. MacKell:

..Won the Cup in Toronto in 1949,as a 19 Year old at the dawn of His career..Captured Stanley again in 51, then came close to sipping Champagne in Boston a decade`s end.

Last edited:

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Boyd Deveraux - DRW, 2002
Jason Williams - DRW, 2002
Jiri Fischer - DRW, 2002
Anders Eriksson - DRW, 98
Jamie Pushor - DRW, 98
Martin Lapointe - DRW, 98

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Had he been born a year earlier Shayne "quitter" Corson would have won his only Cup in 1986.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
so is jagr the only player to win back to back cups in his first two seasons? Were there any other rookies on the team with jagr in 1990 that stayed with them and won the next one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad