Stanley Cup winning goals?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Henri Richard did it twice. Mike Bossy did it twice. Jack Darragh did it twice. That's it. If I remember correctly, Bossy is the only one to do it two years in a row (1982, 1983). Darragh might have as well. I can't remember, but he scored two of them in Ottawa's 1920, 1921 and 1923 dynasty. Might have been two in a row

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Jean Beliveau

Henri Richard did it twice. Mike Bossy did it twice. Jack Darragh did it twice. That's it. If I remember correctly, Bossy is the only one to do it two years in a row (1982, 1983). Darragh might have as well. I can't remember, but he scored two of them in Ottawa's 1920, 1921 and 1923 dynasty. Might have been two in a row

Jean Beliveau did it twice, 1960 and 1965, first goal in 4-0 shutout victories.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
More of a statistical oddity than an actual achievement if you ask me. We know these players as fantastic competitors and winners. It's no surprise that they're the ones to finish the job more often than not. I don't think it particularly adds anything to their respective legacies. GWG has been discussed to death, but I still think it's a bit of an arbitrary statistic, trying to make something obejctive out of something highly subjective (the game-winning moment).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
More of a statistical oddity than an actual achievement if you ask me. We know these players as fantastic competitors and winners. It's no surprise that they're the ones to finish the job more often than not. I don't think it particularly adds anything to their respective legacies. GWG has been discussed to death, but I still think it's a bit of an arbitrary statistic, trying to make something obejctive out of something highly subjective (the game-winning moment).

Once or twice, yes I can see that. But when you look at the top of the list of playoffs GWG you see Gretzky and then Brett Hull. Two extremely clutch players come crunch time. I think when the common denominator is too big to ignore then you have to realize it is more of a trend than an abberation.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Once or twice, yes I can see that. But when you look at the top of the list of playoffs GWG you see Gretzky and then Brett Hull. Two extremely clutch players come crunch time. I think when the common denominator is too big to ignore then you have to realize it is more of a trend than an abberation.
They are also 1st and 4th in career playoff goals. I don't oppose the fact that these guys were gamebreakers. That's not in question. I question playoff GWGs as a metric for it. More often than not the GWG is not the goal that decides the game anyway. I think it's a statistic that just doesn't bring that much information to the table. Interesting as a quirky fact, at best.

I'd be inclined to take GWG as a more interesting statistic if the GWG was subjectively decided for each game instead of just the goal that breaks the tie.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Logical Coherence

Same would apply to the GWG in the deciding game at the World's or the Olympic Gold medal game.

Basically one side of a chicken and egg argument that does not reflect how hockey achievements have been interpreted historically.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Same would apply to the GWG in the deciding game at the World's or the Olympic Gold medal game.

Basically one side of a chicken and egg argument that does not reflect how hockey achievements have been interpreted historically.
Obviously, yes. It basically applies to all GWG, no matter the competition. It's a moment of a hockey game that has been arbitrarily raised to an event of extra significance, when in fact it does not necessarily have to be. One could just aswell list people with the most 'initial goals' in history. In my opinion that'd be just as interesting, if not even more so.

Unless it's a game-breaking goal than wins a tied game, I can't see how a GWG is more 'clutch' than the initial goal scored in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad