Stanley Cup Playoffs vs NBA Playoffs

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Neither series has exactly been must see tv. Unless you're a diehard of one or both sports.

But I'll still take the best player in the league versus a potential dynasty. The Vegas story, while remarkable and they have nothing to be ashamed about if they do indeed lose, makes the NHL look so low-rent and incompetent.

The NBA is all yours, then.

It’s boring, corrupt and predictable.

The NHL has a lot of problems but the NBA is on a whole new level of bad.

Reactions: dkhockey

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Success in the NHL is arbitrary. I guess that's "entertaining"...

And it isn't in the NBA?

You tank for years hoping to get lucky and draft 2 or 3 Top 10 players, and use that to attract the other veteran stars to build a super team. Compete for 5-6 years before everyone fizzles out, then rinse and repeat.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
And it isn't in the NBA?

You tank for years hoping to get lucky and draft 2 or 3 Top 10 players, and use that to attract the other veteran stars to build a super team. Compete for 5-6 years before everyone fizzles out, then rinse and repeat.

No, it isnt. Arbitrary kind of means unable to predict with any regularity. Thats the definition of the NHL. The NBA is very predictable. Almost to how many games each series will take. One team is almost always clearly better than another. Thats why the Rockets-Warriors series was so anticipated and why it became anti-climactic when Paul went down with another (predictable) injury. One player can play 75% of the game or more, increasing the chance to be predicted depending on how good said player is.

I love hockey, so much that being a Wings fan is secondary to just loving the game and enjoying it. Especially for the fact every matchup in the playoffs, either team can win the series if the underdog jumps out early (CBus this year). In the NBA, its over before it started unless your team has LeBron. HF talks about generational players, but there is no analog in the sport for what LeBron means to his team. Maybe Hasek? Has to be a goalie, put it that way. Maybe Gretzky/Lemeiux if it has to be a skater?

Anyway, still fun to watch, dude has run out of gas. Dont cry for him though because his teammates are garbage, this is the team he lobbied for through the FO and media.

Reactions: KJoe88

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No, it isnt. Arbitrary kind of means unable to predict with any regularity. Thats the definition of the NHL. The NBA is very predictable. Almost to how many games each series will take. One team is almost always clearly better than another. Thats why the Rockets-Warriors series was so anticipated and why it became anti-climactic when Paul went down with another (predictable) injury. One player can play 75% of the game or more, increasing the chance to be predicted depending on how good said player is.

I love hockey, so much that being a Wings fan is secondary to just loving the game and enjoying it. Especially for the fact every matchup in the playoffs, either team can win the series if the underdog jumps out early (CBus this year). In the NBA, its over before it started unless your team has LeBron. HF talks about generational players, but there is no analog in the sport for what LeBron means to his team. Maybe Hasek? Has to be a goalie, put it that way. Maybe Gretzky/Lemeiux if it has to be a skater?

Anyway, still fun to watch, dude has run out of gas. Dont cry for him though because his teammates are garbage, this is the team he lobbied for through the FO and media.

It's arbitrary in the NBA because it's mostly random which lottery team's draft picks actually work out.

HoustonCapsFan

Apr 25, 2018
I find today's NBA almost unwatchable. The NHL playoffs have been the opposite.
Totally agree. I love college basketball but the NBA game is lacking. The defense is so handcuffed it ends up being just one guy weaving through a bunch of defenders who can't defend him and going to the hole or a sharpshooter knocking down 3's. Boring. And they need to cut out the stupid foul on a defender when the offensive player initiates the contact.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
GS/Cleveland IV or Alex O. going for his first Stanley? Geez, I wonder which playoffs are more exciting.

In general, as much as the NBA playoffs can be exciting, NHL playoffs are exciting. This yr's NBA playoffs is lacking serious drama. Everybody KNEW GS would come out of the West and Cleveland out of the East, which is the NBA's version of John Cena .v. Randy Orton, a match nobody wants to see.

Right now, NHL playoffs--at least to me--is far ahead better than the NBA playoffs.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The first 3 games of this series were great. Last game not much unless you're a caps fan.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
they were both hot garbage this year....nothing to do with the teams in my avatar getting swept by an underdog and losing to an expansion team though

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NBA is generally too predictable, but the quality of play in the NBA Finals is really amazing, you see some impressive stuff.

NHL SC Finals in all honesty is usually two teams that are running on fumes. That much hockey just takes too much of a toll on players, it's usually why the 1st round of the SC playoffs is the best.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
NBA is too predictable, too many bad calls, can't stand how long it takes to finish the final few mins of a game with so many time outs and fouls causing free throws. Also don't like how much of a advantage home teams have (because of reffing) and I don't like the formation of super teams.

NHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA for me!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
A lot of talk about this being the highest rated NHL finals ever and that is a great thing however it pales in comparison to the other sports including the NBA.
I can't stress enough how the NHL needs to keep relevant
At what cost to the integrity of the game? Where is the scale of a clown show of drama compared to being the best team? I'm sorry, but the problem with hockey for a NA (American) audience is, it's not about the individuals. It's about the team effort. A hockey star can never be in the same spotlight as a pitcher, NBA star or quarterback. Neither will they have the same diva flair, because it won't do.

I choose sport over entertainment show every time, especially when it's as warped and sensationalist as the way the other entertainment businesses light the way for their attention. NHL teams actively shuts down players that give media headlines, because of their overblown ego, because that's not how you win a cup in hockey.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
NHL made the Pens add a player to a 1st round pick and Cole for a 3rd line center. Meanwhile, the NBA lets KD walk to the Warriors and have 5 all-stars. It's really boring but Lebrons fault to begin with.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Just to add to the bolded, Draymond Green had a bit of a feud with Charles Barkley after Charles said he "wanted to punch Draymond in the face". The two of them later had a friendly burying of the hatchet after Green came on air face to face with Barkley.

This is not really a big deal in and of itself, but it makes the game and the players seem much more approachable when you have a legend and a current player having that kind of open conversation. Would you ever see Millbury face to face with Subban and explain why he called him a clown? No, Millbury (and you can include Cherry and others of the same ilk) feel like much of an old boys club that are totally out of touch with the modern-day players. This disconnect between the old guard and the new creates a much stuffier ambience to the overall package of hockey instead of one that that's very relatable to most people. The NBA also does a much better job of relating to all ethnicities, and this is a big reason why its popularity just keeps rising all the time.

I'll go further and say the NHL doesn't even make a concerted effort to diversify. We don't even have one minority head coach at the NHL level. I proposed before that the NHL adopt a "Rooney" type rule.
If the NHL is truly interested in growing the game they should try to appeal to inner city kids and minorities.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im a life long hockey fan but unless my team is in the finals or two teams that hate each other I prefer watching the NBA finals. There's always drama or a story line in the NBA. The NBA is a super star driven league. Some of the athletes are almost larger than the sport itself. You awe at some of the performances. I don't have any interest in the Vegas golden Knights. Being predictable isn't a bad thing. That's like saying we don't watch Phelps or bolt in the olympics cause it's predictable. Talent always wins in basketball. One player can make the difference. I watch for greatness and that's always exhibited during the NBA finals.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hockey is right behind basketball in terms of the impact an individual can make. individual in hockey can definitley impact the game more than football or baseball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad