Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I will say it’s frustrating, NYI have been in every game, much like years prior. Start Varly in game 3, that’s likely a win. Could’ve stole game 2, played week enough to win game 1.

A shame, but it also suggests that this team can hang with the best. With more talent, NYI takes this series.
Talent is not always the answer. Think Patrick Laine, amongst others. Guys like that can ruin a team.

If I had to choose one aspect of the game that we should be better at, I would say speed. I would rank heart as the 2nd, but we do have a bunch of guys that are character types, and this SHOULD'T be a issue.

Shouldn't... :confused:

Reactions: Glorydays22

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I will say it’s frustrating, NYI have been in every game, much like years prior. Start Varly in game 3, that’s likely a win. Could’ve stole game 2, played week enough to win game 1.

A shame, but it also suggests that this team can hang with the best. With more talent, NYI takes this series.
It makes the whole Panarin thing even more painful

If he’s an Islander I think they win a cup or two during the COVID years and are a big-time contender now

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Engvall also beat out at least five icings, and he's such a good player when he's there. I get the hatred for Pierre but he's such a useful player on his A game.
He was good in last year's playoff series, IIRC. If he's meh during the regular season but then picks it up in the playoffs, it's better than the reverse for sure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He was good in last year's playoff series, IIRC. If he's meh during the regular season but then picks it up in the playoffs, it's better than the reverse for sure.
Somebody needs to pick it up during the regular season. That’s what gets you in the playoffs.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It's stunning, but the problem has been goaltending. In the 3 losses, Carolina scored 10 goals against a goalie. I think 7 of those 10 could have been stopped with a fairly routine save. A team so dependent on goaltending, like the Isles, can't afford to give up those goals.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
It's stunning, but the problem has been goaltending. In the 3 losses, Carolina scored 10 goals against a goalie. I think 7 of those 10 could have been stopped with a fairly routine save. A team so dependent on goaltending, like the Isles, can't afford to give up those goals.
That would mean our GAA would be something like 1.15 in the 5 games. Which would be remarkable and not routine...

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Its the defense and PK. Carolina and NYI are tied 6-6 in even strength goals, which is remarkable. The isles have ZERO presence on the PK and carolina has beaten us that way.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Talent is not always the answer. Think Patrick Laine, amongst others. Guys like that can ruin a team.

If I had to choose one aspect of the game that we should be better at, I would say speed. I would rank heart as the 2nd, but we do have a bunch of guys that are character types, and this SHOULD'T be a issue.

Shouldn't... :confused:

Speed I consider a talent. No, talent isn’t the end all be all, but it has the most significant impact on outcomes.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It just feels like we fold under pressure. This has not just been a playoff issue many times during the season we have witnessed it.
Yeah they need to get guys who are playoff playoff performers again. I really wanna get another guy like that

Speaking of: Michael Amadio is a really good player for Vegas. Wonder where he's from?

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The Isles needed to take one of those games in Carolina - game 1 where they controlled play or Game 2 where they dominated but still had a 3-2 lead going into the game's final minutes.

The series now requires this team to win the next 3 in a row - a very tall task.

The series is getting chippy and mean and that does play into the Islanders style.
Taking it game by game and period by period should be the MO.

Looking at the numbers -
Isles blocking a ton of shots, dominating the faceoff circle, and out-hitting the Canes
Carolina has 14 PPs versus the Isles 7.
Anderson has been awesome, but also giving up big rebounds.

I would to see this team take it back to UBS and extend the season a bit longer, especially since my dislike for this team is growing by the minute.

*Lee - Pageau - Engvall - line seems to be doing well.
*Not interested in seeing Fasching play over Holmstrom and would like to see what ISK does with Nelson and Palmieri

IMO, I would try -
Holmstrom - Horvat - Barzal
*ISK - Nelson - Palmieri
Lee - Pageau - Engvall
Maclean - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
200w.gif

Trying to decipher the Canes board sometimes. Wacky bunch over there, not in a bad way, just....eccentric.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
At least got to play 1 more game than 17 teams in the league, and 5 more games than 16 teams.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I just don't understand the mentality of a person who looks at this and thinks we can make some tweaks and get right back in this, anything short of a complete rebuild is dooming this franchise

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
We’re not the first out, so that tickles my pickle a little bit

Engvall had been MUCH better these playoffs. He’s still not quite “looking” for contact, but he’s actually going into areas you need to get to to play hockey

If he can play this way the duration of his contract, it will look great
he's played much better than guys making much more than he does

goaltending was definitely a weakness this series, and it shouldnt be given how much Isles have invested in the position

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad