Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean I said it from the start, highly unlikely that the players would ever accept that.

So let's just make it simple: salary cap is in full effect all throughout the playoffs.
Why don't they just make it so that the salary cap that COUNTS during the entire season STILL COUNTS during the playoffs ?

Never really understood why it didn't.

Ken Holland would like a word. :laugh:

There just isn't the wherewithal to fix this. NHL GMs, owners and players look at it as they may need to utilize these rules someday, so they want to keep them.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I still think the best anyone can hope for is that at some point they decide that you can only dress a cap compliant roster during the playoffs. Allow the team that went over the CBA max to make the decision from game to game, but for each game they guys on the ice cannot combine for more than the maximum cap.

I do not see why this would be an issue. Players got paid, and the playing field remains even.

[edit...in fact, this seems to be the most appropriate way to handle things in keeping with the spirit of LTIR.]

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

There just isn't the wherewithal to fix this. NHL GMs, owners and players look at it as they may need to utilize these rules someday, so they want to keep them.
Let's be honest, the LTIR shenanigans weren't a thing the last time they could've negotiated a fix through the CBA. After that we've had Tampa and Vegas do this stuff. I guarantee you, that not all owners are happy about it. A lot of them are fans just like us, and think that this is bullshit (while no doubt asking their GM why are we not doing this).

There's really no good reason why the salary cap shouldn't exist in the playoffs. It is what it is now, because the players are actually not getting paid for the playoffs and it's a CBA thing. But there's absolutely no "hockey reason" if you know what I mean, why it shouldn't be a thing in the playoffs.

Reactions: The Moops

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At least the announcers and ESPN or TNT panels keep mentioning the Vegas LTIR stuff. It’s not going quietly like nothing is happening. Even though they keep saying it’s within the rules and Vegas hasn’t done anything wrong, but at least they keep mentioning how some people must be unhappy about it and how Vegas is the most hated team in the NHL.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
When it rains it pours for Canucks fans...

Also, regarding Nylander:
According to multiple sources, William Nylander’s absence from the Toronto lineup has to do with a migraine so severe that team doctors tested to see if he suffered a concussion. One of the reasons for the secrecy around his situation is that an actual diagnosis has been hard to come by, whether it is a migraine, a concussion or something else that could affect that area.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Let's be honest, the LTIR shenanigans weren't a thing the last time they could've negotiated a fix through the CBA. After that we've had Tampa and Vegas do this stuff. I guarantee you, that not all owners are happy about it. A lot of them are fans just like us, and think that this is bullshit (while no doubt asking their GM why are we not doing this).

There's really no good reason why the salary cap shouldn't exist in the playoffs. It is what it is now, because the players are actually not getting paid for the playoffs and it's a CBA thing. But there's absolutely no "hockey reason" if you know what I mean, why it shouldn't be a thing in the playoffs.
It was brought up during the MOU discussions and two years ago Holland proposed a change. It is just a part of the framework the league and PA have and it becomes a give/take item. It'll be discussed and probably tweaked in the next CBA. You have to find a solution where GMs and players agree, then you have to find where owners and NHLPA agree. Threading that needle is where logic exits the room.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Hope Vegas embarrasses the Stars in one game and Benn/Marchment and Co start gooning it up so Vegas at least leaves this series bruised and battered
If you want Vegas bruised and battered, you want a 7 game series with lots of OT.

Reactions: MacKaRant

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The f***ing idiot doesn't even take advantage of what he fought for. Kane should have been on LTIR this season, Nurse/Ceci last season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The ice in Tampa is garbage tonight
The ice in Tampa is garbage in late April. It's hot garbage in May. It's likely to get someone killed in June.

This is why I want the season to begin in early October and ensure that the cup is awarded before June 1st, but with expansion I doubt that can happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The ice in Tampa is garbage in late April. It's hot garbage in May. It's likely to get someone killed in June.

This is why I want the season to begin in early October and ensure that the cup is awarded before June 1st, but with expansion I doubt that can happen.
It is usually much better than this. This looks like MSG in May after a Knicks game.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Tampa ties it but Kucherov has been pretty bad so far in the playoffs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I had no idea that Barzal was on year 1 of a 9.125M X 8 contract.

Holy Moly, that's way too much money for what he brings.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad