Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Setting up a hypothetical... Landy back in Round 2 vs Vegas. The Avs will actually have the more expensive roster on the ice.
IF the Avs were to get to round 2 and IF Landy were to come back, it would be extraordinarily obnoxious when people inevitably whine about the Avs being over the cap. Can pretty well guarantee the Avs would rather have had a healthy Landy the last 2 seasons (and going forward) than the chance to ice an even more expensive roster than Vegas

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
IF the Avs were to get to round 2 and IF Landy were to come back, it would be extraordinarily obnoxious when people inevitably whine about the Avs being over the cap. Can pretty well guarantee the Avs would rather have had a healthy Landy the last 2 seasons (and going forward) than the chance to ice an even more expensive roster than Vegas
They wouldn't, because Landeskog hasn't played in two years and didn't return just in time for the playoffs. Not even remotely close to the situation with Vegas.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean he would still be returning and we would still be over the cap.

It isn't blatantly intentional like Mark Stone faking his injuries but it still has the same end result.

Reactions: Chiarelli

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
They wouldn't, because Landeskog hasn't played in two years and didn't return just in time for the playoffs. Not even remotely close to the situation with Vegas.
Oh I know it’s not remotely close but prepare yourself anyways (I’d still be happy it meant we were in round 2 with Landy back) because there are a lot of fanbases (Canucks and Oilers in particular) with huge persecution complexes that love to whine

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Except Landy will be rusty and unlikely to be a top line player. Stone looks like he hasn't missed a day.
Oh I'm sure he will be rusty.

Sure it would be, but it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Setting up a hypothetical... Landy back in Round 2 vs Vegas. The Avs will actually have the more expensive roster on the ice.
I get what you’re going for here but let’s not pretend they are remotely the same. Sure the end result is the same but the two paths are completely different. We know you have no problem with how the cap limitations operate but this is not the example to use…. The on -ice cap is the hypothetical in this instance, not how the cap was acquired.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I heard that Vegas is getting back prime Marian Hossa somehow next game.

I heard that VGK are going to be making a trade for Jakob Markstrom tomorrow and the NHL is going to allow it because they've been 'on-hold' to get that trade registered with the NHL registry since the trade deadline and the guy from the NHL office just got back from vacation - so it's ok then.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get what you’re going for here but let’s not pretend they are remotely the same. Sure the end result is the same but the two paths are completely different. We know you have no problem with how the cap limitations operate but this is not the example to use…. The on -ice cap is the hypothetical in this instance, not how the cap was acquired.
I'm simply saying that when people state _ over the cap, the Avs are likely to be one of those teams too. There is a lot of semantics and nuance to it that only hardcore fans care about.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
the difference being that Landeskog was legitimately injured.

The goalposts have been moved from "there is a rigorous audit system to verify injuries and these injuries are legit" to "f*** you the CBA allows it".

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
the lacerated spleen was 3-4 month timeline and somehow he's back in 5 weeks. The exact date the first game of the first round started. Come on man
Hockey players have returned on similar timelines (and it wasn't 5 weeks... it was almost 9).

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Hockey players have returned on similar timelines (and it wasn't 5 weeks... it was almost 9).

3-6 months does not equal almost 9 weeks

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So was Stone... nobody is falsifying medical documents here.
Sure he was.
giphy.gif

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm simply saying that when people state _ over the cap, the Avs are likely to be one of those teams too. There is a lot of semantics and nuance to it that only hardcore fans care about.
For the record, I tend to lean closer to your viewpoint on this topic. If the league heads and PA don’t have a problem with it, it is what it is.

But I don’t think there’s nuance at all to either of these circumstances. Landy has missed well over a year of hockey, it doesn’t matter when he comes back, that’s as legit a justified LTIR example as you can get. The same is not true for stone, multiple years of missing time but back for game 1. The just are not comparables imo.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
it doesn't say out of how many
It wasn't a group medical study, but how two AHL players both got lacerated spleens and were able to return in 2 months with no negative impacts. Basically saying the recommendation is to scan at 8 weeks or 6 week post symptoms to see if it has healed. It is entirely possible that Stone had the injury and recovered in the time he was out.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So was Stone... nobody is falsifying medical documents here.
Like a lot of shady things in life, Vegas and its injuries are shady.

Do we have proof they are falsifying? No. We also don't have proof these injuries are what they claim.

End of the day result is the same, but the conspiracy theorist in me absolutely believes Vegas falsifies medical reports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad