Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Hintz is a perfectly fine 1C, he's just not a superstar. I agree though, Dallas has a very good team, but there's no real gamebreaking talent there. Maybe in goal and on the blueline with Heiskanen, but not up front.
a 1C that puts up 0.79 ppg in a conference that deploys Hertl, Draisaitl, and Mittelstadt as 2C's isn't gonna cut it.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I mean Eichel is a legit star. Barkov gets a lot of hype for being the best 2 way center(not undeserved) now, but I think it’s Eichel. Eventually the hype for his defensive game will come around.

Yeah, Eichel would be their only star. Not an ultra high-end star, but still deserving to be in that category.

They’re a great team. It’s not built off star power. Very deep.

That series should be 1-1, with how Dallas dominated game 1. I have a hard time seeing them claw out of the hole they’ve put themselves in.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Leafs play pond hockey. Byram would love it there.

Statistically (until this year) that's actually not true. When it comes to xGA they were a top-ten team or close to it, right up there with Colorado. They've been a very disciplined defensive team (I mean, c'mon, they've kinda had to be with all the mediocre goaltending they've had over the years). It's just this year the bottom kinda fell out, likely a direct result of their silly obsession with trying to get tougher and adding a whole bunch of plugs who couldn't defend to save their lives.

Avs need to be careful, they're kinda heading that direction as well, though I think they've been a little smarter about it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, Eichel would be their only star. Not an ultra high-end star, but still deserving to be in that category.

They’re a great team. It’s not built off star power. Very deep.

That series should be 1-1, with how Dallas dominated game 1. I have a hard time seeing them claw out of the hole they’ve put themselves in.
I mean Vegas has legit star power I’d say. Eichels not a Mack level guy but I’d argue he’s still a franchise C. PPG C and elite defensively. Stones one of the best wingers in the NHL.
Obviously they have great depth but Eichel, Stone, Petro, Theo are star level guys.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That's selling Eichel way short. He may not be McDavid-level (who is) but he's a legit gamebreaking talent and proved so last postseason. Dallas has no one even close to him on their roster.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
That's selling Eichel way short. He may not be McDavid-level (who is) but he's a legit gamebreaking talent and proved so last postseason. Dallas has no one even close to him on their roster.

He’s not a top-10 player in the league. He’s still a star. It’s no knock on him. Vegas is an excellent team.

He’s their best player. Not sure what else you want me to say.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s not a top-10 player in the league. He’s still a star. It’s no knock on him. Vegas is an excellent team.

He’s their best player. Not sure what else you want me to say.
It's always open to interpretation, but 26 points in 22 playoff games last season is not merely "star" to me. Again, Dallas has a good team, a very good team in fact, but they just don't have that guy on their roster who can take a game over when necessary. Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Edmonton, Boston, and Toronto do.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Florida's rosters a bit better than Vegas, but I can see the merit in picking Vegas. They probably have the deepest D core in the league and they have the best center depth by far. Florida is leagues better in net.

What is scariest about Vegas is they have the horses to forecheck the Avs into oblivion, they have the centers that make finding favorable matchups very difficult, and their defense has zero issue with a tough forecheck while being great puck movers. They have a fantastic combination if they can just get solid goaltending. I'm not sold on Thompson, but between him and Hill they have options if things go sideways. I really didn't like Vegas on the Central side of the draw. It makes the 2nd round tough regardless. At least if Nashville faced Dallas there was a chance of an upset, but either way not the 2nd round is gonna be tough.

I do think Dallas has outplayed Vegas though. They'll win a couple games if they keep playing like they have. Vegas needs Wild Bill to get going a bit.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The West is tough this year, not because the teams are good, but because I have so many preferences on who I want to lose.

Ideally all of Dallas, Vegas, and Edmonton fail miserably. Edmonton losing to LA would be so f***ing funny I might shit myself to death laughing, although that seems unlikely. At least we are guaranteed to lose one of Dallas and Vegas.

I think I'd prefer Dallas to beat Vegas because f*** Vegas and their $100M team, and then I'd like to see the Avs beat down Dallas, as I think we match up pretty well against them.

I have no strong opinions on LA, Vancouver, or Nashville, other than f*** Quinn Whoghes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The West is tough this year, not because the teams are good, but because I have so many preferences on who I want to lose.

Ideally all of Dallas, Vegas, and Edmonton fail miserably. Edmonton losing to LA would be so f***ing funny I might shit myself to death laughing, although that seems unlikely. At least we are guaranteed to lose one of Dallas and Vegas.

I think I'd prefer Dallas to beat Vegas because f*** Vegas and their $100M team, and then I'd like to see the Avs beat down Dallas, as I think we match up pretty well against them.

I have no strong opinions on LA, Vancouver, or Nashville, other than f*** Quinn Whoghes.
You know cocaine is best done in the evening, right?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I mean whats the point in Vegas or Edmonton getting to the conference finals anyway? The Avs will just send them home cupless. Might as well just bow out now.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Sure, in EA Sports NHL 2025. Neither is making the conference finals.
Bold. Vegas is up in the air if Dallas starts playing better (and maybe if we beat the Jets but that would be a tough series). Edmonton failing to get past LA or Nashville/Demko-less Vancouver would be a choke and a half

Reactions: The Moops

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I think they’re built very similarly to Dallas. Vegas doesn’t have much star power either.

Both teams have fantastic depth. Otter failing is really the difference right now.
Eichel and Stone are two of the better matchup forwards or two way forwards or whatever you call them in the entire league.

Stone is also capable of regenerating himself after death. Like Deadpool. So they have a legitimate superhero on their roster.

Pietrangelo is still a high end #1 defender.

And after those 3 they still have $80 millions more players to go.

Reactions: AslanRH

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Bold. Vegas is up in the air if Dallas starts playing better (and maybe if we beat the Jets but that would be a tough series). Edmonton failing to get past LA or Nashville/Demko-less Vancouver would be a choke and a half
Nashville Vancouver (with or without Demko) and LA are bottom of the barrel. They're all good enough to win a game or two but no contender is losing 4 out of 7 to them.

Edmonton has a cakewalk to round 3. And McDavid is not going even close to 80%. He's clearly saving a lot for the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad