Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Oettinger is not a good goalie and Dallas doesn’t have a single player that can break a game open.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Hell, i expected Benn to ram Stone into the boards the first chance he gets after this bullshit Vegas and this "captain" pulled off.
Benn got suspended last year for gooning it up with, er, accidentally tripping and trying to brace himself on Stone. Would be madness to do something that might result in another suspension this year.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don’t really think it’s Dallas being bad, Vegas is extremely efficient and of course with everyone miraculously back they can mostly control the play and deny any major opportunities without overplaying anyone.

Now with Hanifin they’ve got 3 legit top pairing D, with great depth. And with Eichel-Hertl-Stephenson they have as good of a 1-2-3 C punch as anyone with more great forward depth everywhere. Plus size and physicality up and down the lineup.

I think they repeat, easily. They’re not even having to play hard enough for guys to get hurt through these first two games.

All of the other western teams including us have at least one important weakness. Maybe Florida can beat them this year, we’ll see. I think Vegas has the better roster again thanks to their deadline shenanigans.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Hanifin - Pietrangelo
McNabb - Theodore
Martinez - Whitecloud

6’3” 207 - 6’4” 215
6’4” 215 - 6’2” 201
6’1” 210 - 6’2” 218

Yeah, good luck with that forecheck when they can all pass the puck, too.

Main reason why I'm afraid of Vegas right here. That defense can handle the forecheck, clear the front of the net and disrupt lanes/block shots. You're going to have to work damn hard to score a goal on them.

Reminds me of Tampa defense during their cup runs. Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, and Mcdonagh. Then you had guys like Schenn, Savard and Bogosian who made guest appearances.

This brings me back to one of our favorite topics. I'm curious to see how this team looks with Girard in the fold. I still think he's very much not built for playoff hockey. But guess we'll find out soon hopefully.

Last edited:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I don’t really think it’s Dallas being bad,
Nope, not total "bad", just constantly shitting the bed during 2 Games and their "stars" or "leaders" are not leading the way.

This series is over in 5 games. At this point is can also see a sweep coming. Would be a disaster as No 1 in the west.
I think Vegas has the better roster again thanks to their deadline shenanigans.
We learned that balatantly faking injuries und lying is "just playing within the rules".....:sarcasm:

I prefer the Cup to go east this time. Anyone but Vegas please. I dont want Stone and his lying ass lifting another cup.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Vegas hasn´t broken any rules with the cap. Any team can do the same with no punishment from the league and that includes the Avs. Honestly I´m somewhat surpsied that more teams don´t go the extra mile to win it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Nope, not total "bad", just constantly shitting the bed during 2 Games and their "stars" or "leaders" are not leading the way.

This series is over in 5 games. At this point is can also see a sweep coming. Would be a disaster as No 1 in the west.

We learned that balatantly faking injuries und lying is "just playing within the rules".....:sarcasm:

I prefer the Cup to go east this time. Anyone but Vegas please. I dont want Stone and his lying ass lifting another cup.

I think it’s unethical for sure but I get Henchy’s point that as long as it’s allowed, if your ownership and GM aren’t doing it they’re not really trying, knowing that some other GMs will always do it.

Some type of cap arbitrage is almost always required in the cap era.

Hawks - back diving contracts, Toews/Kane ELCs, 2015 Kane to LTIR
Kings - back diving contracts
Pens - Crosby’s obsession with 87 turning his and Malkin’s deals into bargains over time
Lightning - LTIR, forcing bridge deals
Knights - LTIR
Avs - lots of surplus value on deals like Mack, Makar, Toews, Nuke, etc at the time

Not familiar enough with the 2018 Caps

While I would prefer a rule set that awarded smart management in the vein of the 2022 Avs or the 16/17 Pens, cheating the cap has been the more consistently effective strategy (Hawks, Kings, Knights, Lightning)

Vegas hasn´t broken any rules with the cap. Any team can do the same with no punishment from the league and that includes the Avs. Honestly I´m somewhat surpsied that more teams don´t go the extra mile to win it all.

The two things they have that most clubs don’t is ownership that’s willing to spend whatever it takes and a location that allows them to remain a popular destination despite being extremely mercenary in dumping contracts.

Plus the initial glut of assets from the first expansion draft that many teams botched

Reactions: GeoRox89

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
That was fun for the Oilers haters! Looked like Game 1 was going to be a cruise control series win for the Oilers. Way to go Kings!

Reactions: roccerfeller

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Subbanator is the greatest thing ever, haters goin' hate.

So, I've watched both games of the VGK/Stars series and I don't understand how Vegas is up 2-0. I don't think Vegas is playing truly amazing, they're doing a good job covering the area in front of Thompson for sure, but nothing breathtaking. I think Dallas is simply botching it because their offence has been nonexistent with an awful PK. Add some deflated momentum goals by Oettinger and I guess that is what you're seeing now, but the biggest culprit has been their decisions with the puck defensively. It seems like Vegas is waiting for Dallas to make mistakes and is capitalising on them big time. This isn't a surprise though, the 2nd+ year DeBoer special is always the gift that truly keeps on giving.

Also, Marchand is a rat but no way what he did was a penalty. Bertuzzi came and initiated a scrum with him; as the beautiful words of Evander Kane describe, "If you're going to f*** around, you're going to find out." That was a brutal goal by Samsonov, which should have never been a goal.

Messier was the most overrated NHLer of all time AINEC and he has no personality to be on the telly, I agree, but if there is someone who has the most legit hockey takes I've heard, it is him. He is right almost 99% of the time. Really smart when it comes to analysing hockey IMHO.
Yeah, I agree with this. His analysis is fun to listen to.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Vegas hasn´t broken any rules with the cap.
That will be a neverending discussion.

Too me, faking injuries and lying about it is not "playing within the rules", its cheating.

And the fact that 31 teams can do it too doesnt make it any better or justifies it.

And i doubt the rules, or cap-rules were supposed to cover this shit.

In a league with a hard cap, playing with a roster you only can afford with "cheating" is a huge advantage. Thats gets you a Top-Center and Top 4 D-Man. No one can deny that.

We will witness this first hand in Round 2 if we get past the Jets.

The NHL doesnt care that this "bullshit" wins you a cup or that even media-people laugh abouth it because its obvious whats going on with Vegas and Stone for 3 (!!) years now, the GMs dont want to close this shit... It is what it is.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If I had to watch Darnell Nurse on a regular basis I think I'd be dead.
True. Empty head player.

It's more of a morale question.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Vegas upsetting Dallas is not something that I thought would happen. Still a long series so anything could happen, but the Stars in trouble.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Vegas upsetting Dallas is not something that I thought would happen. Still a long series so anything could happen, but the Stars in trouble.

This is over in 5, if not worse for Dallas. Despite Vegas not playing their best.

I just dont see Dallas getting back in there. Especially on the road in Vegas.

Thought Dallas has more to offer. But Oettinger making a "Georgiev" and the Star´s Stars not get going enough will sink the ship this year.

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
This is over in 5, if not worse for Dallas. Despite Vegas not playing their best.

I just dont see Dallas getting back in there. Especially on the road in Vegas.

Thought Dallas has more to offer. But Oettinger making a "Georgiev" and the Star´s Stars not get going enough will sink the ship this year.
Stars don't have stars - that's the problem. Robo dropped off massively this year going from 46 goals (109 points) to 29 (80 pts). A massive decline, he's been figured out. Roope there it is dropped 10 points playing 7 more games. Well under ppg in a super high scoring era he's not the 1C that everyone touted last year. Oettinger is generally trash in the playoffs with a sprinkle of good games once in a blue moon. These drop offs more than negate the steps forward by Johnston and Stanky. Two of their best players are a 39 year old and a dude that got bought out last summer. Let's pray they advance because they are a complete mirage of a team.

Reactions: Grigowski

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I’d argue this healthy Vegas roster is the best in the NHL.

If these guys have actually been healthy and don’t require ramp-up time or conditioning, then this is no surprise.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Stars don't have stars - that's the problem. Robo dropped off massively this year going from 46 goals (109 points) to 29 (80 pts). A massive decline, he's been figured out. Roope there it is dropped 10 points playing 7 more games. Well under ppg in a super high scoring era he's not the 1C that everyone touted last year. Oettinger is generally trash in the playoffs with a sprinkle of good games once in a blue moon. These drop offs more than negate the steps forward by Johnston and Stanky. Two of their best players are a 39 year old and a dude that got bought out last summer. Let's pray they advance because they are a complete mirage of a team.

I think they’re built very similarly to Dallas. Vegas doesn’t have much star power either.

Both teams have fantastic depth. Otter failing is really the difference right now.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think they’re built very similarly to Dallas. Vegas doesn’t have much star power either.

Both teams have fantastic depth. Otter failing is really the difference right now.
I'll disagree there, both teams are deep, but only one has true gamebreaking talent up front.

The only way Dallas wins this one is if Otter plays out of his mind, and that's been a problem this year.

Hintz is a perfectly fine 1C, he's just not a superstar. I agree though, Dallas has a very good team, but there's no real gamebreaking talent there. Maybe in goal and on the blueline with Heiskanen, but not up front.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That DeBrusk goal was an exercise in pure idiocy by the Leafs. Edmundson was so dead set on pummeling Pastrnak into the ice he completely ignores the puck, NO idea what McCabe was trying to accomplish going to the same exact corner, and then you have Marner just standing there high in the zone covering no one and giving Marchand a clear, unobstructed path to the net.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Eichel is a star. Marchessault has been there done that in the playoffs and just had an amazing season. Stone is a defensive beast one of the premier d forwards in the league. Pietro has won on multiple teams and can play half the game a true 1D. They don't have McDavid but these guys are all studs. On top of that one of the deepest teams in the league. Only weakness is in net and that's more than covered by great team defense.

That DeBrusk goal was an exercise in pure idiocy by the Leafs. Edmundson was so dead set on pummeling Pastrnak into the ice he completely ignores the puck, NO idea what McCabe was trying to accomplish going to the same exact corner, and then you have Marner just standing there high in the zone covering no one and giving Marchand a clear, unobstructed path to the net.
Leafs play pond hockey. Byram would love it there.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean Eichel is a legit star. Barkov gets a lot of hype for being the best 2 way center(not undeserved) now, but I think it’s Eichel. Eventually the hype for his defensive game will come around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad