Stanley Cup or Olympic Gold Medal (US born player)

Greater Accomplishment for US born player

• Total voters

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I think it's the exact opposite actually. Stanley Cup > Olympic Gold. Unless you're playing for a non-favorite team. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden all have amazing chances at winning Olympic gold, Finland is just behind them. I think for a Finnish player Olympic Gold would be more glorious, because of the level of competition they would have to go through. But for a US born, or any of those 4 nations, Stanley cup all day.
Swedes and Russians are high on Olympic gold. They always remind how many Olympic golds they have compared to Finland. Winning just one best-on-best tournament would be good for Finns.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Most American hockey fans would say Stanley Cup with little hesitation.

I don't know anyone who watches the Olympics with the same bated breath as their team in the playoffs. That's not to say that the gold medal is insignificant, though.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd say the gold because any scrub can win a Cup (looking at you Bogosian) but on the US Olympic team every player is great and it's an honour.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
On this forum maybe, but certainly not among the general public in the United States. An Olympic gold medal is universally highly regarded whether it's from ice hockey or canoe slalom. A hockey ring is just a hockey ring unless you happen to be a hardcore fan.
Pretty much. I would even go so far and say that for the general public an Olympic gold in the tiniest sport triumphs a Stanley Cup.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
stricktly when weighing what is a greater accomplishment for US born player

to win olympic gold, first of all you have to be one of the best american players to even have any shot to be a part of the team.

second, winning the thing beating other countries all star teams that are worth +100m instead of being salary capped

third, its held every 4 years so chances of ever winning are low

obviously the cup is important and biggest dream for many, but olympic gold is rare and a huge achievement especially for teams other than canada

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
On this forum maybe, but certainly not among the general public in the United States. An Olympic gold medal is universally highly regarded whether it's from ice hockey or canoe slalom. A hockey ring is just a hockey ring unless you happen to be a hardcore fan.

I agree with your post. On this forum we all have our favourite teams, and would prefer our team to win a cup than our country win Gold from a pure hockey sense. Hell the leafs haven’t won a cup since 67, for me I would much rather see the leafs win a cup.

But then when looking at the majority of the population, nothing brings a nation together like a gold medal game. US born players win cups every year. Team USA hasn’t won gold since 1980.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I think it's the exact opposite actually. Stanley Cup > Olympic Gold. Unless you're playing for a non-favorite team. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden all have amazing chances at winning Olympic gold, Finland is just behind them. I think for a Finnish player Olympic Gold would be more glorious, because of the level of competition they would have to go through. But for a US born, or any of those 4 nations, Stanley cup all day.

No, Albatros is right. He used the term general public, not North American public or European public . People from Ghana, Brazil, and Philippines likely have never heard of the Stanley Cup, but they certainly know what an Olympic Gold Medal is.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Can't speak for others but when I'm old and counting my legacy I'd much rather have an Olympic Gold medal than a Stanley cup ring. Poll the general public and the results would be reversed from this thread.

Cup winners are a dime a dozen in the NHL, chances are some fourth liner's been on some team that won a cup over a 2 decade career. Being a part of a GMG winning team that happens every four years - especially if it's one with NHL players - is something you can recount to your kids and friends for generations and I bet almost every single person you tell would care. Not so sure about being part of a Cup winning team 40 years ago when you're 65.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Well obviously winning the gold with a country is more meaningful than as a random nhl team.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Much more difficult to win the 'Cup. Much easier to cheat at the Olympics.

Just look at Sundin. Never a legitimate sniff at a 'Cup win. Match-fix a bit at the Olympics to cherry-pick the right opponents and it's easy Olympic gold.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Much more difficult to win the 'Cup. Much easier to cheat at the Olympics.

Just look at Sundin. Never a legitimate sniff at a 'Cup win. Match-fix a bit at the Olympics to cherry-pick the right opponents and it's easy Olympic gold.
No actually wonder Leafs fans are all saying a cup. Cause it never happens. Finnish stars usually win a cup but the Olympics are trickier because they are not that often.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Every single US born player knows the Stanley Cup is and a decent portion of the population as well. Olympic gold is an amazing feat no doubt, but the Stanley Cup is a far greater accomplishment.
You're underestimating just how few Americans actually care about the Stanley Cup. The average American would say Olympic Gold.

If you're an American hockey fan/player, you'd get Stanley Cup as your answer 9/10.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the way the olympics is getting used as political tool makes me stay away from that tournament on top of that u have all these restrictions in the time of an event...

u cant watch highlights on youtube for example... i am sure u have to make some deals with ur local providers and what not if u really dont want to miss out (and even then, highlights on demand are simply not available - u have to keep track on the schedule if u want to follow olympic hockey - complete joke of an event). as a hockey fan its not worth it for me... yes, the world cup took over in terms of importance.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
No actually wonder Leafs fans are all saying a cup. Cause it never happens. Finnish stars usually win a cup but the Olympics are trickier because they are not that often.

I never considered how seldom the Olympics are played in relation to the Stanley Cup.

I agree, due to the limited numbers of Olympic games, the Olympics are trickier.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
The average hockey fan already forgot who won the cup last year nor do they care about the nationality of the players of a sport team in missouri.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think winning a cup would be more fulfilling. 16 games to glory. Ups and downs. 8 weeks.

I mean the Olympics is two weeks. Anyone can get hot or cold. One game eliminations. Anything happens.

I doubt you'd find many who would pick the olympuc gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00